You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White line between sky and horizon

Could someone advise please, I have made adjustments to this in both RAW and Photo Persona but I have a white line between the sky and horizon.  For the sky in RAW  i used an overlay to adjust the sky only.  I have spent days watching the various videos and can't seem to find anything that can help  to correct what is to me a problem.

I am new to editing ,thank you in advance.

Sue H

post-24343-0-65633700-1453384450_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi SueH,

You can use the healing tool with the hardness setting at a low level and then set the source to the are just above the white line, this will blend the sky into the white area. I also recommend doing this in small areas incase you have to undo the change.

Regards,

Darren

Hi, I tried this.

1.Select the sky,

2.use refine edge if you need to, maybe just a little feathering will do the trick

3.Cmd J puts the selection on it's own layer.

While you still have the marching ants,

4.select your background layer and go

5.Selection>invert pixel selection.

6.Do cmd. J and you have a copy of the hill on it's own layer.

7.No you can deselect.

8.Go to the layer with the sky, 9.use the move tool and 10.stretch the layer just a few pixels down. 

11.Take the sky layer and move it below the "hill layer".

Hope this make sense. It's less work than it seems to.

This was a very quick and sloppy work, I didn't refine it.

post-14034-0-32950900-1453393167_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

It looks to me like your overlay has a soft edge at the horizon line. If you go back to your overlay in the Develop Persona, you can iterate between brush and eraser (tools along the left side of the work space) to make your overlay sharper and closer to the horizon line. Adjust the hardness of the brush or eraser to be MORE hard, so you don't get as large of a gradation in your overlay. You can also try checking "Edge Aware" to see if that will help get you closer to the needed result more quickly.

If you decide you want to make the adjustment in the Photo Persona, you would need to create an adjustment layer above your photo layer. Add a mask to the adjustment layer, then fill the mask on the adjustment layer with black paint, and paint the sky with white paint to reveal the adjustment. Again, you would have to iterate between white and black, adjusting size and hardness of each tool to get a nice edge at the horizon. With the mask selected in the layers panel, you can right click and select Refine Mask to help with this process.

If you are not working with RAW photos, it would be better to do this in the Photo Persona because it is non-destructive.

• 2 weeks later...