You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelated Export

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue when exporting JPGs or PNGs where my image is pixelated. Coming from Adobe illustrator, I can see I never had this issue so I'm stumped. I saw this topic has been posted a few times before but I didn't really find an answer.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

My file resolution is 72 since I'm exporting for web. The image I'm exporting is either the same as the original size or smaller, regardless I end up with a blurry image. I did try exporting and adding @2x at the end of the file name for retina displays and that seemed to solve the pixelation, but obviously that would only work on retina displays.

For export settings, I'm using the default JPG parameters for best quality with bilinear resampling. 

I've attached my design file as well as 3 different jpg exports. 250px wide, 500px wide (original size), and 1000px wide. I'm setting these values on the export screen. I thought it was interesting because the larger the image size, the less pixelated things become. I even increased my document canvas size to 1080px by 1080px keeping the logo at the original size and when I export the jpg for this, everything looks great. I should also add, I'm using Preview on my mac to view these, but also open them in chrome.

Thanks in advance, like I said, I'm really not sure what's going on here.

theSpaltyDog_A_250px.jpg

theSpaltyDog_A_500px.jpg

theSpaltyDog_A_1000px.jpg

theSpaltyDog_A_1080pxSquare.jpg

theSpaltyDog_A.afdesign

This may not be the problem.  I am getting a hypnotic effect where I am seeing what I want to see blurring vs not blurring, I can't tell the difference between the exports I did now.  LOL

Well, that is my only idea.  I don't see anything that should cause this.

I am using Affinity Designer v2.

1080P Monitor.

Can you provide an export to jpeg from InDesign using the same pixel dimensions?

for me the results look exactly as what i would expect for a raster format export. 

you can tweak the blend range / antialiasing settings to get sharper looking edges.

the logo uses quite mooted colors like 34% grey for the dark lines. 

The pixel view mode in Designer gives a good preview, almost identical to the exported results.

We had lengthy discussion threads about pixel export from vector documents, anti-aliasing seems to be a highly personal / emotional topic. I‘m unable to spot anything unusual. We could compare the results from InDesign and Designer, and may spot minor color differences on anti-aliases pixels. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.