You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text box related bugs

I've discovered two text box related bugs that get in my workflow all the time.

1. Canvas resizing text box

When you input new number of width or height by clicking on the box, it automatically selects the numeric portion without that "px". If you start typing, the first digit gets recorded and displayed in front of the "px", then the second digit will clear the entire box including the "px" instead of being appended to the first digit. Often I want to resize the canvas from the 4:3 ratio (5208x3888) to 3:2 (5208x3472). If I don't pay attention to the text box bug I will just resize the image to 5208x472 instead of 5208x3472 since the first digit "3" gets erased.

2. Color temperature text box in the development persona

This text box itself has the unit "K" in there. When you click on the box the numeric portion is highlighted and the "K" is left alone. But if you only modify the numeric portion the "K" gets highlighted in red and the text box prompts a parsing error. Looks like the text box needs a regex to accept that "K".

Just came across this bug too. I often just edit the "hundred's" digit of the white balance and check if the new value fits, but here this is not possible because AP 2.0.0 silently ignores the new value as long as the "K" unit is still there. Indeed it seems as if the input validation doesn't accept the output formatting of that field.

See attached (small) screencast.

• Staff

Hi @brandonchang89, @matthiasbasler,
Thanks for your feedback. I've reproduced the Colour Temperature issue (which I'm logging) but wasn't yet able to reproduce the Canvas resizing text box: when I click in the width or height input fields both the value and the unit gets selected. What macOS version are you running? Do you min recording a small clip showing it happening please? Thank you.

Hi @MEB, it doesn't always select the entire field when I click on the text field. I'm using macOS Monterey 12.6.1 BTW.

I've recorded a video. As you can see, when I clicked on it it just insert the cursor on where I clicked. For most of the time clicking on the text field select the whole thing but it's not reliable, so I always have the habit to double click to select everything but the "px" unit. As I type, the first digit 3 gets injected correctly before the "px", but the second digit, which is "4", instead of being appended to "3", it simply erased the whole text field including the "px". 

FYI there's a workaround for this issue. Instead of clicking into the text field, simply press tab to give it focus. Press tab a second time if you want to change height instead of width.

The width or height value will not be blue highlighted when the field has focus (a related issue) but it really is highlighted so you can overtype it.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @brandonchang89, @matthiasbasler, @Les Wilson,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. We've been a bit busy since v2 release and are still catching up.
I was having trouble reproducing the input boxes issue (canvas/document/transform panel) because this is working fine in macOS Ventura. Monterey user's are affected though. Both these and the colour temperature issue (Montery and Ventura affected) are logged to be checked out.
Thank you all for your feedback.

Thanks @MEB. I am on Big Sur. It isn't as reliably reproduced as I initially thought. Of course I reproduced it just now on the width input box of the Export window after 5 tries. Thinking I had the exact steps, I started a screen capture and .... no dice. In typing 1920 for the width after double clicking the field, what I see when it does happen is typing the "1" causes the highlighted previous value to be cleared and the preview is displayed as a blank checkerboard. The "1" is not echo'd in the text box. 

One hint of where the bug might be is in the initial state of the input focus. Sometimes the Export dialog is displayed with focus on the Width field. Other times the input cursor is blinking inside the previously used value in the Width field. Other times the Width field is highlighted. And yet other times input focus is nowhere to be found. I thought I had it nailed down when I canceled out of the dialog and did anther Export. That's when I noticed the cursor was already in the Width Field. Double clicking the initial value in that state caused the problem. But alas, I could not reproduce it. So my gut says its related to the initial state of the preview/input focus/cursor/field value.   

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS Monterey, Big Sur] Resize Canvas, Resize Document, Transform panel input fields: issues when entering values" (REF: AFP-5856) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1720".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.