You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Window - critical zooming regression and what is needed

This works on macOS - but not Windows:

• Control + 1-4 for zooming in/out to 100% etc. etc. (regression, works in 1.10)

This behavior is not great (both Win and macOS):

• As long as this regression is not resolved the output is zoomed in using the fit to window algorithm which means microscopic view of details on A3 pages or even A4 etc.
  • Export window size is not remembered between sessions
  • No Maximize / Restore buttons on Windows export window (to at least enlarge it quick) as on macOS

This is needed:

• User interface (buttons in the lower part of the window for 1:1 zoom, fit to window, + and -)
  • Using mouse to zoom

Impact:

• Couldn't judge webp compression quality etc. etc.
  • Couldn't judge SVG / PDF output
  • Preview useless in many use cases

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @François R,

Are you referring to the Export preview Window? If so, I'm not able to replicate an issue with CTRL + 1-4 to switch between the zoom percentages within the export preview on Windows.

After clicking on the preview window first to bring it in focus and then using the CTRL keys to change zoom levels, this is working as expected. I'm also able to change the zoom level via CTRL + Mouse wheel with the preview in focus and I can reset the zoom to fit by right clicking it twice.

Have you ensured that the window is in focus by clicking on it before trying the keyboard modifiers? I'm aware this isn't a requirement on Mac and this is likely down to the UI differences between OS's.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:43 AM, François R said:

This is needed:

• User interface (buttons in the lower part of the window for 1:1 zoom, fit to window, + and -)
  • Using mouse to zoom

Francois - I agree!

Nathan, im sure you can do this much better! The current UX looks like nothing more than the minimal effort to get this dialog technically running (alpha version, not enough time?). But without taking usability in account😔

My suggestions on this topic

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

Zooming in/out in Export Widows does not work at all here using keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-1 2 3, but it works with Ctrl Mouse wheel. But only in some output. It works for JPG, TIFF, and some other formats, but not for some others, like PDF.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

E.g. for WebP there is no zoom at all.

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.