You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashing after zooming in and out multiple times

pxlr

1.) Are you using the latest release version?
Yes, version 2.0.0.

2.) Can you reproduce it?
Yes, as often as I want.

3.) Does it happen for a new document?
Yes, with a blank document.

- Operating system and version: 
  Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (Intel i5-9600K@4.8Ghz, Geforce GTX 1070ti, 32gb Ram, Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus)

- Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ?
  Tried both. No difference.

- What happened for you (and what you expected to happen).
  The program keeps crashing.

- Provide a recipe for creating the problem.
  - Open Affinity Designer.
  - Create a new blank document.
  - Now zoom to the maximum and zoom back out (I use mouse scroll)
  - After about 3 - 4 repetitions, the program stops, but the mouse can be moved.
  - After a while the program window gets an opac overlay with the loading ring (windows says the program is not responding)
  - (You don't need to do these extreme zooms, it just makes the problem appear faster. This problem also occurs during normal use.)

- Any unusual hardware or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
  No font manager or display manager. Almost a fresh windows installation. Using a 4k display at native resolution.

- Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently?
  I was looking for an Illustrator alternative and saw that the new version of Designer was released. So I decided to test it and noticed that it crashed almost every time I used it. I tried to isolate the problem and found out that it is related to the zoom function.

ALSO:

After prolonged use (if you don't zoom much) the program becomes extremely slow. For example: You have two boxes and one of them is selected. It takes about 3 seconds to select the second box after clicking on it.

PS: I can also provide the windows "Report.wer" if needed.

affinity-designer.PNG

Edited by pxlr

Unfortunately, it's the same here. After some zooming and panning the screen sooner or later AD stops working, as seen in the video above.

Very hard to reproduce as it doesn't seem to depend on the same steps. Once I can work for a longer time (say 20 minutes) without AD crashing, sometimes it crashes after just some zooming. You never know when it will happen, but it will. At least in my experience.

I now got these crashes even without zooming. I tried to check an other issue and did not zoom at all but drew many shapes. After a while I got the blue circle and afterwards the greyed out window followed by the app disappearing.

I assume the crashes might have something to do with the rendering.

I can not reproduce this 🤔 Also have Win 10 Pro with display settings: native 2560 x 1440.

...Using a 4k display at native resolution.

What is your exact screen resolution ?

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (22H2, build 19045.3208, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0), 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (driver 528.89), 2 x 1GB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• Staff

Hi @pxlr welcome to the forums,

Thanks for providing detail on the issue. Much the same as 4dimage, I've unfortunately not been able to replicate this issue yet after multiple attempts of following your steps/screen recording. Though, I have also been trying this on a 2k monitor, so I'll try and replicate this on a separate machine which has a 4k monitor in case that somehow has an impact on this freeze occurring.

Incase this is Hardware related, could you confirm if this issue occurs after installing the latest GPU drivers?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna throw in that I'm pretty reliably hitting this bug. I have a 5120x1440 monitor, but I rarely if ever have Designer full screen. Usually just like the center third of my screen or so.

When zooming super far in and then back out within a few seconds (I haven't deliberately tried zooming veeerrrrry slowly but I will once I'm finished working), it freezes every time. Have to force quit.

Also experiencing near-exponential lag ramp after half an hour or so, even with small documents/projects.

And in case it helps in bug-hunting somehow, the project I'm currently working on is just paths, anchors, shapes, text. No placed/imported assets or multimedia. Logotype stuff.

Designer V2.0.0, Windows 10 22H2 (x64), i7-7700HQ, 32GB DDR4, Nvidia 1070 mobile.

• 1 month later...

Same issue as @tetractys. The more time you use affinity designer 2, the more it gets laggy and eventually crash. Most of the time the crash happen when zooming in or out.
When it gets laggy, I usually restart affinity to avoid the crash.
It happen to me one time on Affinity photo 2, but I use it less.

Deisgner 2.0.4, Windows 11 22H2 (x64), i5-10400, 16Go DDR4, RTX 3060.

43 minutes ago, Mostache said:

Same issue as @tetractys. The more time you use affinity designer 2, the more it gets laggy and eventually crash. Most of the time the crash happen when zooming in or out.
When it gets laggy, I usually restart affinity to avoid the crash.
It happen to me one time on Affinity photo 2, but I use it less.

Deisgner 2.0.4, Windows 11 22H2 (x64), i5-10400, 16Go DDR4, RTX 3060.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Are you still finding this in 2.0.4? With macOS, the 2.0.3 apps got slower the more you used them but this was fixed in 2.0.4 and now I can use them all day without any slowdown. I can't speak to whether the same improvement was made for Windows.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, almost every day. both in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo .... I switched from Adobe to Affinity to make my work easier and have a more stable program and here it is almost impossible to use, every 5-10 minutes the program crashes.

Spec:

• Latest Affinity version: 2.0.4
  • Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
  • 32.0 GB RAM
  • Plextor 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe M9PeG
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 with Nvidia Studio Drivers v528.49
  • Monitor LG 27" 27GL850-B | 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) | 144 Hz

• Staff

For anyone experiencing this app hang/freeze when zooming in/out this has been marked as resolved in the 2.1 Beta (AFD-6338). More information on how to get access to the Public beta is below. 

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/

On 3/10/2023 at 1:23 PM, gibonwroc said:

I have the same problem, almost every day. both in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo .... I switched from Adobe to Affinity to make my work easier and have a more stable program and here it is almost impossible to use, every 5-10 minutes the program crashes.

Welcome to the forums @gibonwroc,

I would recommend creating your own separate thread regarding your issue to avoid any cross posting/confusion. 🙂

On 11/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, pxlr said:

1.) Are you using the latest release version?
Yes, version 2.0.0.

2.) Can you reproduce it?
Yes, as often as I want.

3.) Does it happen for a new document?
Yes, with a blank document.

- Operating system and version: 
  Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (Intel i5-9600K@4.8Ghz, Geforce GTX 1070ti, 32gb Ram, Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus)

- Is hardware acceleration (in Preferences > Performance) ON or OFF ?
  Tried both. No difference.

- What happened for you (and what you expected to happen).
  The program keeps crashing.

- Provide a recipe for creating the problem.
  - Open Affinity Designer.
  - Create a new blank document.
  - Now zoom to the maximum and zoom back out (I use mouse scroll)
  - After about 3 - 4 repetitions, the program stops, but the mouse can be moved.
  - After a while the program window gets an opac overlay with the loading ring (windows says the program is not responding)
  - (You don't need to do these extreme zooms, it just makes the problem appear faster. This problem also occurs during normal use.)

- Any unusual hardware or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
  No font manager or display manager. Almost a fresh windows installation. Using a 4k display at native resolution.

- Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently?
  I was looking for an Illustrator alternative and saw that the new version of Designer was released. So I decided to test it and noticed that it crashed almost every time I used it. I tried to isolate the problem and found out that it is related to the zoom function.

ALSO:

After prolonged use (if you don't zoom much) the program becomes extremely slow. For example: You have two boxes and one of them is selected. It takes about 3 seconds to select the second box after clicking on it.

PS: I can also provide the windows "Report.wer" if needed.

affinity-designer.PNG

this happens to me also, not quit the same computer, but close to it.   It also crashes and looses itself by just selecting and then zoom in and then try to erase something,.  It goes crazy saying something about rasterizing? i dont know its junk, and mostly unusable i guess if you need to scroll you have to save close and open to start over and then it happens again.,  crap

crap.JPG

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar issues with v2.0.x. It tends to freeze after a couple of hours of working. And since I started paying attention to what I was doing when it freezes I've noticed it always happens while I'm panning. Disabling OpenCL doesn't fix it. I'm using a 5th generaton Microsoft Surface Pro.

I'm going to try the 2.1 beta and will see if that's any better.

• 1 month later...

The zoom freeze issue has not reoccurred for me on both the beta & official v2.1.

My PC is an OptiPlex 7440 AIO on Windows 10 Pro 22H2.

Designer 2 would usually freeze after zooming repeatedly or adjusting a node too quickly after zooming.

Though I never noticed any lagging issues with v2.0, likely due to the work time averaging 1-3 hours before crashing.

So far I've able to work up to 6 hours and have kept the program open for days without any changes in performance.

Thank you Designer Devs for working on this!