You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easily change between single page and artboard

I still don't like the existence of two separated document modes, but thinking of it there's only a couple of things that annoy me a bit. One is the different background color, topic that has been discussed already. Here's the other:

I open a single-paged document, with a frontpage designed, for example. Hey, let's create a smaller version alongside it... I create a new artboard and pop! the original page dissapeared, and my design is now floating in the pasteboard. I know I can previously create an object that fits my page, convert it to an artboard, drag my design to it (in most cases the design dissapears, I need to tell AD that it's related to the artboard) and then create the new one. Complex. Or work directly in artboard mode by clicking 'create artboard' when creating a new document, but as there're now some features that work in single page but does not in artboards (unclip to canvas), I might want to start with single page. Or did it by mistake.

So there's the feature request (finally! thanks for reading): When in single page mode, if you create a new artboard, AD automatically converts the original page to an artboard with its content already related to it. If you can add this, I even think that the 'Create artboard' checkbox when opening new document won't be necessary anymore, as single page has its pasteboard now.

Congratulations for the good work, as usual!

Val

• Staff

Hi Valentín Benavente,

The original document shouldn't disappear. I will log this. To avoid this situation, when in a single page document  change to the Artboard Tool, Click the Insert Artboard button in the context toolbar first (to place your existing single page document into an artboard) then draw the second artboard on the canvas.

@F_Kal

To do that change to the Artboard Tool and click the Insert Artboard button in the context toolbar.

The existing document will be converted to an artboard.

[EDIT] This is by design. Instead of drawing a new artboard directly on the pasteboard, convert the existing document  to an artboard as described above.

As we're in the 'feature request' section... may I suggest to add the 'Insert Artoboard' option to a menu? I didn't know it even existed, probably becouse it only appears when the artboard tool is selected. I don't need this now that I know how to do it, but it might be useful for new users.

V.