You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App keeps closing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Sana Rehman,

Could you see if you have any crash reports and post them here.  To find the reports see here and i can get these debugged.

Couple of things you can try now, start Affinity while holding down the CTRL key and you'll get a window popup asking if you'd like to clear some settings.  3 options will be selected and you can just click on Clear.  Now try working with the colour picker and see if you get a crash.  If you do, then restart Affinity and go into Preferences and on the Performance section, disable openCL at the bottom of this window if its enabled, then restart Affinity and try using the colour picker again 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean using the color picker tool from the vertical toolbar, or when double clicking (with or without the color picker tool selected, doesn't matter) the color circle to pick a color in the standard Windows color selector box?

If it is the latter... Do you happen to have your Windows (in MS Windows Settings/System/Screen/ custom scaling (in the middle of the right pane there)) set to 110% or some other odd number (percentage) ?  If this is the case, then set it as 109%, 100% or 125% and restart your Windows, and then it shouldn't crash anymore. I tested on two very different PCs, and a pair other users on this forum having the issue, already reported to me that it solved the problem. Hopefully it's that. I believe it happens in all the v2 apps, not only Designer.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 1:39 AM, SrPx said:

Do you mean using the color picker tool from the vertical toolbar, or when double clicking (with or without the color picker tool selected, doesn't matter) the color circle to pick a color in the standard Windows color selector box?

If it is the latter... Do you happen to have your Windows (in MS Windows Settings/System/Screen/ custom scaling (in the middle of the right pane there)) set to 110% or some other odd number (percentage) ?  If this is the case, then set it as 109%, 100% or 125% and restart your Windows, and then it shouldn't crash anymore. I tested on two very different PCs, and a pair other users on this forum having the issue, already reported to me that it solved the problem. Hopefully it's that. I believe it happens in all the v2 apps, not only Designer.

It's wheni use the one by the colour wheel. It's at 100% 

So... It happens when you drag the color picker tool, or when you double click on the color circle that is besides the tiny color picker in that right panel ?

Sorry if I am too dense, today.

It used to crash for me when having Windows (not the affinity app) at a 110% scaling (in Windows Settings --> Screen ), solved by setting a different scaling. But never when dragging the color picker, or using the color picker (the eyedropper tool) itself. Indeed, is the first report I hear about crashing for using it (but a lot that had the crash I had by double clicking the color circle).

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 months later...

@flying-cup welcome to the forums :)

I think you and @Sana Rehman should try Resetting Fills, which is found when doing the Control Runup (hold down the Control key while launching the app). The Resetting Fills is found in the bottom section. It should reset the fills for all apps. Not sure it will work, but I'd say worth a try.

I've never had this issue. I've tried this morning to get a crash, hang/freeze but it works fine on my machine.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Sivadharshan said:

Thank you for the suggestion, my issue is solved. Whenever I double click on colour picker it kept crashing but once I set the scaling back to 100%, it started working. You are a saviour!

Nice that the trick worked for you, too  :)