You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Creative" Feedback wanted... Be nice - "Bay the Force be with you"

Mvdarbs

Hi Folks, 

This is my first real go at a more complex (Complex for me that is) design using AD. The plan is for this design to go onto a tee shirt but I wanted to offer it up on here first to get some feedback and pointers.

The title is "Bay the Force be with you", its my take on Big Hero 6 being crossed with Star Wars. The design is not 100% complete yet but the basic design is there and I thought this would be a good time to offer it up for some helpful feedback.

The areas I have struggled with mainly are...

1> Symmetry - If you look closely you will see that the helmet does not sit central to the body, when I try to get it central it seems to throw the rest of the design out. This, I am finding, is a common issue for me when I try to create something.

2> Shading - I have no real idea how to perfect the shading on this. As you can see 90% of the image is a white colour which made creating definition between things such as the helmet, armour, body, arms and legs really hard. Any advice on this would be HUGELY welcome.

Any other points you can see that you think are worth mentioning then please feel free.

Thanks folks

Mark

Bay the Force be with you v1.0.afdesign

I usually find it's helpful to google any potential ideas first for inspiration (and to make sure you're being original lol)

That being said, I really like the idea, and I think it'd do really well on a t-shirt.

Just a few suggestions-

• move the eyes a little closer together
  • make the legs slightly larger
  • round the top of the helmet a little more
  • make the top of the shoulders a little more tapered

that's all I can think of off the top of my head, good luck!

I think it is great. I am in no position to give advice. That caveat being said, I might throw out some things if I were talking to myself. I would add shading detail to the smaller components, especially in the helmet. They can be subtle, but would add shape and depth to the helmet. I would consider using a gradient fill, or even the transparency tool on his exposed body parts. He is a balloon after all. There is a great tutorial on the transparency tool by Affinity. The last thing I would add is to be aware of where and what kind of light you want on the scene. And place shadows and gradients for depth accordingly. An external ground shadow might add just the right touch too. You never know until you try. Or you could go the opposite, and take all shading out. Make it stark and two dimensional to make it stand as a logo or emblem. In fact I would say don't be afraid of making multiple copies and doing something different for each one. Pick a FX, filter, or style and see what it can do. If you like the result, note it somewhere.

But really a great job. 

Cheers guys, thanks you for the helpful advice and feedback. Any suggestions on correcting the symmetry problem I mentioned?

Mark

Hi.

You can select all the layers whitch are in the centre and use the arrange menu on the top toolbar.

Choose align horizontally>align centre.

The shadow on the chest will make it visually asymmetrical  though. (I would suggest that you erase the shadow under the left arm because it "falls on nothing" if that makes sense)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 3 weeks later...

Stop beating your self up and just put WIP on the end of the title, that is "Bay the Force be with you. WIP" This way we know where you are at, anyway we're a good crowd here, so all comments are meant well.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111