You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find And Replace panel bugs

Jim_A

Two bugs in Publisher 2, perhaps related.

First bug:
Selecting a word in a paragraph of text by double clicking on it copies an extra space after the word. If the word is selected by dragging over it, no extra space is copied.

Second bug:
Even if only the word with no extra space is copied to the clipboard, when I paste it into the Find And Replace panel an extra invisible character appears after the word. It looks like the end of story character.

I've had a look in preferences and on my system (macos Monterey, see sig.) but can't see anything obvious that would cause this. Other apps such as Pages or BBEdit behave as expected, copying the word only. The test paragraph in the screenshot was created with a new blank document but the same behaviour happens with the example templates provided in Publisher.

Can anyone reproduce this?

Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 21.05.12.png

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

Hi @Jim_A  Reproduced as described in Big Sur.

In fact, I'll, er, see your two bugs and raise you a variation. #ahem.  Double-click a word at the end of a sentence - ie followed immediately by a period (though other punctuation will probably do the same) - and the extra unwanted space appears at the front of the copied characters. (I was checking this by pasting into BBEdit with invisible characters shown).

Ahh - also  using keyboard shortcuts (cmd-shift-left/right) to select whole words results in the same trailing space.  And so does the simpler shift-left/right to select just a character at a time.

I think that apparent end-of-story character is actually an end-of-paragraph pilcrow - ie   (Copy it back out of the Find/Replace field and paste into BBEdit again…)

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

15 hours ago, MikeTO said:

10 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

I think that apparent end-of-story character is actually an end-of-paragraph pilcrow - ie   (Copy it back out of the Find/Replace field and paste into BBEdit again…)

It does that if you paste into BBEdit but paste back into a Publisher text frame and I get multiple End of Story characters.

(Thanks to @MikeTO for the invisible character list.)

[ macos 12.6 Monterey; Memory: 16GB;  Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB; Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 ]

Publisher 2.0.0 on Windows 10

Can confirm the select / copy and paste bug:

If you had previously selected the word by doubleclicking and then copy it (CTRL c) it gets pasted (CTRL v) with an extra trailing space.

But only, if it was originally followed by a space. If the word was followed by a full stop "." it eventually was copied and is pasted with an extra leading space.

image.png.30d550eb7130e1f564b7b0049f9a0883.png

In this case "fox." is pasted with a leading space. "The" and "brown" with a trailing space. "FOOBAR" does not show any extra space - because it was originally surrounded by full stops.

As mentioned this behaviour does not occur, if the words were manually selected via precise textcursor drag selection.

This applies to all three Applications, allthoug you might not see the hidden characters (still no switch via menu in Designer and Photo...).

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

An added consequence of these bugs is that double-clicking then pasting into Find Replace might not find all the instances of the word, especially as the extra space is easily missed as it doesn't show as a blue character in the search field. And without manually deleting the End of Story character it won't find any of them!

On 11/17/2022 at 2:59 AM, MikeTO said:

FYI Jim's bugs are known issues. I'm unsure whether your bugs have been previously reported Gary, they sound new to me.

It would be useful if there was a searchable list of known bugs. Might save some time all round. At the moment a forum-wide search for keywords is the only method but that can return too many results to be useful. I gather that if a post is tagged with afb- or afp- it means it has been tagged by the team for attention. If we could see the official list of bugs we could add extra information if necessary, or at least know that it was already logged.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Space incorrectly gets added to text on clipboard if you double click a word to highlight" (REF: AFB-4947) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1951".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.