You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where to Find a Visual Table of Invisible Characters

Does anyone know where to find a visual table of all the invisible characters (including but not limited to word space, paragraph, column break) that get revealed when one toggles on the "Show Special Characters" command in Publisher?

I was reviewing a friend's Publisher document and could not interpret some of the invisible characters present.

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance.

Hi Mark, I went to look for it and I couldn't find one so I made a quick and dirty one just now to share here. Please let me know if you spot any mistakes or omissions. It would be really great if the Affinity Help page for special characters could be updated to include this information.

Edited by MikeTO
Removed attachments to avoid confusion with latest version below

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@MikeTO  Wonderful!  I have been scrounging the internet trying to find this too.  With dismal results.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@MikeTO Nice very useful list!

I was just adding dashes and spaces to another doc this week.
Soooo... some additions and a correction:

Soft Hyphen = softhyphen (U+00AD)

Sixth Space = six-per-em space (U+2006) – ⅙ of em

Quarter Space = four-per-em space (U+2005) (middling space) – ¼ of em

Third Space = three-per-em space (U+2004) (thick space) – ⅓ of em

Figure Space = figure space (U+2007) – width equal to tabular figures

and

Space = U+0020
Word Joiner = (WJ) (U+2060) – width 0

Thanks, @MikeTO.

I have a strong memory of having found the info somewhere in the documentation before, because I know I've seen a chart. A quick search isn't finding it, so your file will be helpful.

Edit: Or, I wonder if I made my own, and have just forgotten where I put it :(

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Hi Mark, I went to look for it and I couldn't find one so I made a quick and dirty one just now to share here. Please let me know if you spot any mistakes or omissions. It would be really great if the Affinity Help page for special characters could be updated to include this information.

Nice work, @MikeTO. What typeface code do you use to achieve the visual appearance in blue?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

8 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

Nice work, @MikeTO. What typeface code do you use to achieve the visual appearance in blue?

Thanks. Those blue characters are actually screenshots since this was a quick effort.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• 3 weeks later...

I added one more to the table - notes are demarcated by square blue brackets in v2.

Edited by MikeTO
Removed attachments to avoid confusion with latest version below

1 hour ago, kenmcd said:

Figure Space is still wrong - should be U+2007 - as posted above.

Sixth Space is U+2006.

My apologies, I missed your original reply. Sorry about that. Updated list coming soon.

4 hours ago, kenmcd said:

Figure Space is still wrong - should be U+2007 - as posted above.

Sixth Space is U+2006.

Do you agree that a hair space in Publisher is 1/12 em? I believe it's 1/24 in InDesign but it looks more like 1/12 in Publisher to me.

And thin space is 1/5 em in Publisher which is correct whereas it's 1/8 in InDesign.

And surprisingly, narrow non-breaking space is 1/7 em instead of the common thin space of 1/5 em. InDesign lacks this character so I can't compare.

Edited by MikeTO
Added more information

Bonjour à tous.

Deux tables unicodes. Si cela peut être utile à quelqu'un.

Two unicode tables. If it can be useful to someone.

tableau_unicode.afpub tableau_unicode_2.afpub

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

Updated with Ken's feedback and a few more I found. I also replaced all the screenshots and now show the symbols between facing characters for clarity.

While updating it I noted these issues:

• The Affinity Help page for special characters has the incorrect Unicode value for Figure Space. It's also missing several Unicode values and several symbols. Perhaps Serif could update the page with the information from the attached document?
  • Publisher shows the same symbols for Page Break, Odd Page Break, and Even Page Break but it would be better if they were unique.
  • Publisher doesn't show a symbol for non-breaking hyphens. I believe InDesign does the same but it would be better to show a blue hat above the hyphen, just like with a non-breaking space.
  • Publisher doesn't show a symbol for Ideographic Space (U+3000) but supports it as far as I can tell.
  • I find it odd that Narrow Non-Breaking Space (U+202F) is about 1/7 em instead of the more common 1/5 em, the width of a thin space. I've never used this myself so I don't really care but those who use it may care.

Edited by MikeTO
Removed attachments to avoid confusion with latest version

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Do you agree that a hair space in Publisher is 1/12 em? I believe it's 1/24 in InDesign but it looks more like 1/12 in Publisher to me.

And thin space is 1/5 em in Publisher which is correct whereas it's 1/8 in InDesign.

And surprisingly, narrow non-breaking space is 1/7 em instead of the common thin space of 1/5 em. InDesign lacks this character so I can't compare.

The updated doc looks really good!

Sorry, my notes may have been a bit confusing as they are from notes to myself for font development, not what the defaults are in APub.

While InDesign annoyingly always overides the width some of the space characters in fonts (i.e. thin space), I think APub may have defaults, but that if the particular space character is present in the font then that actual width is used instead.
This may be wishful thinking, but it should be confirmed either way.
I asked about some of these APub default space widths in a thread quite awhile ago and got an answer on some of them, but IIRC I did not get an answer on the hair space default. Tried to find that thread/post again just now and had no luck.

Different designers have different defaults for hair space and thin space.
I would like confirm that APub is using what is designed in the font. Hopefully.
Or not.

We can test what APub is doing to find out for sure.
I have fonts with all the various space characters already included and I can hack something up if needed.

Which ones do we need to confirm?
- hair space
- thin space 
- no-break space
- narrow no-break space
- any others ???

Hmmm ... could even put an actual glyph in them for visual confirmation.

For each
- first, confirm if the actual space width is used if that space character is present
- second, confirm the default widths - when those are used instead

Wadda-ya-think?

1 hour ago, kenmcd said:

Which ones do we need to confirm?

Thanks! I'll do one more update if you confirm any of the widths. I have to correct some formatting and make the images a bit bigger, I threw this together too quickly.

The widths that could use confirmation are Figure Space, Medium Mathematical Space, and Narrow Non-Breaking Space, the latter of which I expected to match Thin Space. I wouldn't worry about Ideographic Space and Thin Space has been previously confirmed as a fifth which is the common size. I gave it a quick measure and it was bang on. Hair Space was obviously different than ID but there's no standard value. I estimated it as 1/12 and it's unlikely Serif would have chosen 1/11 or 1/13 so I think that one is fine.

Thanks

I've posted the completed chart in Resources, along with French and German versions. The original afpub file is included for those who want to use the screenshots of the symbols for other purposes.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

@Hertsmacman, welocme to the forums...

In Publisher, go to the Text menu and select Show Special Characters at the bottom of the menu...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

You mention uni code - if you are talking about adding characters that are not visible on the normal keyboard, try using the Glyph Browser panel. (If it's not already enabled, go to: Window Menu - Text - and tick Glyph Browser.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 hours ago, Hangman said:

@Hertsmacman, welocme to the forums...

In Publisher, go to the Text menu and select Show Special Characters at the bottom of the menu...

And in the 2.1 beta, this command is now in all three apps.