You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No DXF EXPORT in Designer 2 ..are you serious!?

...I don't use it in that scenario. However ,i would use it to take a vector and turn it into a dxf for cutting.

Psenda stated that was why (for publication,etc) AD had import only. NOT ME.  I was going to use it to replace its biggest competitor (Adobe)  but Serif ONCE AGAIN fell short. Sorry I refuse to be like most fan boys here and find the product pretty useless.

1 hour ago, Calvert said:

like most fan boys here

If someone becomes a "fan boy" just by using some function, then I am 100% fan boy of DXF import.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I wonder if this a geographical thing. All the metalwork and printer companies and shops I've asked, in my area, don't make any problem if I send them a DXF, an SVG, or an AI file. One of them explained that the best format is the one that comes directly out from the drawing program, so for them it is equally DXF or AI.

I feel a bit like when everybody was screaming that they needed a DOC file, and then an RTF file did the job as well; or when everybody was swearing that you couldn't send publishers anything else than a Finale file. Or those who giggled when you explained them that you were publishing books, but not using QuarkXPress.

It's never that file format. It's always the one that gets the job done.

Serif should make a video tutorial about preparing files for an engraver. All considered, more than printing books, this is one of the most common jobs for a designer.

Paolo

On 11/16/2022 at 11:37 AM, DanBrizol said:

..why is this!???

Maybe because of phased development, like in the TGA Format case?

Best regards!

5 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe because of phased development, like in the TGA Format case?

Not from what Patrick Connor has said.

Please see: 

and a few posts later:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Not from what Patrick Connor has said.

Please see: 

Thanks for letting me know.

Best regards!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah this is completely ridiculous that there's no export for DXFs. I'm on the bandwagon that it's basically useless to be able to import DXFs without the export function.

Is there an API for Designer 2?

There are plenty of cases where only DXF files can be used and that's what I deal with daily. In all steel industrial cutting applications the machines/nesting software only read DXFs and often the operators /programmers are too computer illiterate to be able to convert over an SVG with the proper scaling to have a workable file. And then the SVG files might have spline based curves which again the industrial machines can't read because they're stuck in the late 80s and have to have mathematically written arcs and line. I think I've tried basically every SVG converter software by now. Even some sketchy paid German programs. Some of them have been somewhat useful for cleaning the files but are all super clunky.

I was excited to see that Designer 2 could import DXFS. then trying to export it. FFFFRRNNT nope. I guess I'm stuck with the Affinity to Fusion to DXF export pipeline still.

• 1 month later...

Currently trying to get an industrial laser cutting quote. One particular shop can not even process anything other than dxf to even give me a price. Of course there are other laser cutting shops that can take an .ai file now. But that's not the industry standard or the norm for established businesses that bought their million dollar cutters a decade ago, using stable industry G-Code controllers like Fanuc.

Anyway, if you've been around long enough, you'll know the reason why exported DXF files from Illustrator suck ass... it's a clunky conversion to segmented ploylines, and not arcs, curves and splines, like a true CAD program would create. This is largely because of HOW Illustrator was built from back in the day, in the way they handle vectors. The original code was pilfered from Macromedia Freehand, when Adobe bought them out. Or it was the other way around. I can't recall the specifics. But that's the jist of it, and why programs like Corel Draw can export DXF files natively, and they are perfectly readable in G-Code readers.

Giving a company a messed up DXF gives you, the client, a best a poor cut quality product. Because the laser, cutting a circle for instance, would fire off and on at each segment spline, giving your "circle" a multi-sided polygon effect of straight lines, instead of a smooth continuous arc that fires once on pierce, leads into the circle, and exists out, leaving a nice cut perfect circle. The lead-ins and lead-outs are automatically applied by these industry standard type G-Code controllers... ONLY IF the supplied artwork isn't broken segments. And at worst, you the client, would be paying more for machine time, as an improper coded "vector" file takes longer to cut, and has to cycle more off and on, and could choose random cut orders all over the sheet back and forth.

While technically, this isn't something that can't be overcome, even if the Affinity team decides to license a 3rd party plug-in that creates DXF files. Which did exist at one point, and I've used within the AI workspace successfully. They give more user export controls. Or sending the code project to India for $5 or whatever the going rate is, then inserting under the export function.

This is NOT something that should be "back-burnered" because "it's too hard". This is the world in which we, the designers, find ourselves in. Trying to balance learning new software, ditching subscription models, so we have the control back in our court... but then only to be hamstringed by the very software that claimed to liberate us. Now, I'm having to rely on online file converters just to get a quote for my client. My software should not be the bottleneck in my production flow.

So how many designers even use laser cutters? Just a little reality check - It starts to sound here like in video editor circles where anybody not doing work for Hollywood is no pro... 

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

Check.....I'm a designer who uses lasers .....

I at my my sign shop use .dxf for not only laser, but cnc both.  From engraving (Both cnc and laser) text in an ADA bathroom sign, to cutting out a sign panel shape, to 3d sign fabrication. Its almost a daily thing to use .dxf. files.

20 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

All software has limitations. Either by function or price. 

If we accepted that as a standard,... we would had accepted Adobe's limitations and we all still be using Adobe products.

SO, either Affinity can step up or there WILL be a replacement come along and they will be out of business. Its just a matter of time.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:05 PM, EcoMouse said:

if you've been around long enough, you'll know the reason why exported DXF files from Illustrator suck ass... it's a clunky conversion to segmented ploylines, and not arcs, curves and splines, like a true CAD program would create.

That's why I don't get the reason why one would want to give the laser cutter a DXF converted from an Affinity Designer file, involving an inherently messy conversion. However good it is, it is a conversion between incompatible formats by design.

If a shop has not adapted to a file format that has been with us for the latest thirty years, I don't think it can be a good partner. If they insist that files have to be produced by a technician on a CAD, and not by a creative designer working with Illustrator or Designer, I don't see any reason to insist using that shop.

Paolo

23 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Maybe some people would (and obviously they do). But what if the cost of Adobe's monthly bill is more than some of us are prepared to stomach? I for one would not be using Adobe if Affinity was not available.

This is based of of "your assumption" that I didnt want to stay with Adobe due to its price.

23 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That is always the case. That is called competition. But thus far I do not see anything comparable to Affinity in function AND price. The two are sometimes not separable.

What makes them separable is lack of function that Affinity has...dxf export.

39 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

If a shop has not adapted to a file format that has been with us for the latest thirty years, I don't think it can be a good partner.

Paolo

So, if Affinity Design doesnt adapt to a file format (dxf) that has been with us for at least 30 yrs in the CAD industry, I dont think it can be a good partner either.

39 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

If they insist that files have to be produced by a technician on a Illustrator or Designer, and not by a creative designer working with CAD, I don't see any reason to insist using that SOFTWARE.

Paolo

I fixed your quote above.... See it depends on prospective

Sorry, but Neither Illustrator or Designer can do what CAD programs can do on an accuracy and 3D level.

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

What also makes them separable is cost. I don't use Lightroom, for example, because it would have cost be about £500 over the last five years. It doesn't matter to me whether there are differences in capability - I will simply not spend £500 to maintain a catalogue of photos. Other people do. That's up to them.

Why would "How much it costs" matter if there is lack of function? Even if Designer was free, if it cant do what is needed for a WHOLE industry segment, its useless to that industry. You do get what you pay for.

Designer had the hype of being the Adobe Killer that was going to replace Adobe. Sad to say, its far from that, It took a swing but the Designer developers seem to have backed down from their challenge coming up short. The ONLY function Designer has that Adobe doesnt is the shape builder tool, however so does the $4.99 software on my tablet.

5 minutes ago, Calvert said:

Why would "How much it costs" matter if there is lack of function? Even if Designer was free, if it cant do what is needed for a WHOLE industry segment, its useless to that industry. You do get what you pay for.

Designer had the hype of being the Adobe Killer that was going to replace Adobe. Sad to say, its far from that, It took a swing but the Designer developers seem to have backed down from their challenge coming up short. The ONLY function Designer has that Adobe doesnt is the shape builder tool, however so does the $4.99 software on my tablet.

If not Affinity (Serif Labs) is supporting DXF, use something else…

Affinity Designer lacks a few things, but, it is good at many other parts of design area…

So, perhaps you go for Vectorstyler instead…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

4 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Then you will have to buy whatever provides that function. If Affinity had DXF export but cost £2000 would you buy it?

And cost. Please stop separating cost from the equation. 

No matter how much you spend, or if its free, if it cant do what you need it. what good is it?

Yes, if Designer was a true Adobe killer, Id pay double what they are charging right now for Designer.

I just purchased $6000.00 3d reverse engineering software, not because of cost, but because of what it can do.

Please, stop acting like cost is the ONLY reason in the equation.

5 minutes ago, Calvert said:

No matter how much you spend, or if its free, if it cant do what you need it. what good is it?

Yes, if Designer was a true Adobe killer, Id pay double what they are charging right now for Designer.

I just purchased $6000.00 3d reverse engineering software, not because of cost, but because of what it can do.

Please, stop acting like cost is the ONLY reason in the equation.

If you can afford software for £6000, why can’t you just pay 20 bucks per month and have DXF export (Illustrator)?

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

3 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

That was not my question. I asked would you spend £2000. I think that most people would not.

Cost is an essential part of any purchase. Else we would all be driving Rolls Royces and flying in private jets.

If it was the ONLY way I could do what I needed to do, then yes I would. However, all I would need to do is spend $599 on Corel and not $2000.

SO, LondonSquirrel would you purchase "MY Adobe competing product" for $34.99, even if it didnt do what you need it to do like Lightroom?

Hey, thats HALF price of Designer

6 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

If you can afford software for £6000, why can’t you just pay 20 bucks per month and have DXF export (Illustrator)?

I currently do pay for Adobe Illustrator and can export .dxf but Designer was hyped up to "replace " Adobe which is why were having this conversation.

Question is, why spend $60 on Designer - especially if it doesnt work for what you need?

9 minutes ago, Calvert said:

I currently do pay for Adobe Illustrator and can export .dxf but Designer was hyped up to "replace " Adobe which is why were having this conversation.

Question is, why spend $60 on Designer - especially if it doesnt work for what you need?

IF dxf-support was highly demand, Serif Labs should have fixed that now, but, there’s alot of other things to add/improve before an better export studio will occur in the Affinity Suite…

AND, Serif Labs have NEVER said that Affinity iSuite will replace Adobe CS….