You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No DXF EXPORT in Designer 2 ..are you serious!?

5 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

the demo

You mean Trial version for Affinity application version 2?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

9 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Yes the same.

Demo and Trial versions are not the same in principle.

11 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

Just wondering as so many appear to not use it before buying.

Yes, I didn't use the Trial version either before I bought it. I had no reason to try anything (despite the fact that when buying from the Affinity Store, the product can be refunded within a certain period).

But maybe I don't understand where your questions are actually going - I don't see any context with DXF export.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

But maybe I don't understand where your questions are actually going - I don't see any context with DXF export

The context, I think, is surprise that yet another user is saying "I purchased this and I'm surprised (or disappointed, or ...) that <name some function> isn't included."

Serif gave everyone a 30-day Trial so no one would need to be surprised about what they'd purchased, and no one would need to complain about only having 10 days to play before deciding what to do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, walt.farrell said:

The context, I think, is surprise that yet another user is saying "I purchased this and I'm surprised (or disappointed, or ...) that <name some function> isn't included."

Serif gave everyone a 30-day Trial so no one would need to be surprised about what they'd purchased, and no one would need to complain about only having 10 days to play before deciding what to do.

Ummm... Are you really telling people they shouldn't be surprised or disappointed?  

I use Designer for many things, so I would obviously not return it- nor would anyone else on this forum most likely.  I love the program and will continue to use it BUT I am disappointed the new version only has import but not export.  I constantly need this function and have to either use Adobe or other workarounds that are time consuming.

If you don't need that feature, then hooray for you.  But don't sit around trying to scold other people who'd like to see that in this program.

44 minutes ago, LOB said:

Are you really telling people they shouldn't be surprised or disappointed?  

No.

But many seem to be surprised only after their purchase, that some functions they consider critical are missing. There's no reason to purchase and then discover that something is missing. You can discover that using the Trial version. Then your purchase can be made (or not) with full knowledge of what you're buying. You can still be disappointed, but it shouldn't be a surprise.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/21/2022 at 11:12 AM, rbenj said:

🙃🥳

Screenshot_20221121_171140_Brave.jpg

On 11/21/2022 at 11:23 AM, Pšenda said:

But there is nothing written about "export". ........

But Theres nothing written about "import " either.......

Ad states..... "Works with all other major file types including....."

A 1 way transfer is more like  "partially work with"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My company is a manufacturer of art pieces, signage, Furniture, awards etc. etc.   Our equipment ranges from commercial waterjet, CNC routers, Commercial lasers, Etc. Etc.  ALL OF OUR EQUIPMENT USES DXF FILES EXCLUSIVELY.  We can not run our equipment on .ai files, or SVG files etc.  All of the controller software on almost all our machines uses DXF files for cutting etc. .  

I guess if you are in your garage using a laser that you bought on amazon, you likely don't need or use DXF files, but the purpose of my post is to tell you that if you are doing anything in the professional world with something other than hobby equipment, you are likely needing to EXPORT DXF files.  I just bought affinity 2's suite earlier today excited about DXF, and am now disappointed like the rest of those who bought for the same reasons, that I have to continue the ridiculously expensive  illustrator program just to be able to export DXF. I should have read a little further before purchasing..... I'll keep the software, but hopefully Affinity wises up and realizes that many people are looking to their software as an alternative to adobe, but this particular little thorn is rendering it something that will cause it to sit closed in my applications folder until one day when I can use it as I hoped.  I'm keeping it so that I can open it occasionally to update it to see if it will eventually support export of DXF files.

Disappointed!!

Cheers

• Staff

@JoeJammer

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

42 minutes ago, JoeJammer said:

I just bought affinity 2's suite earlier today

Sorry to disappoint you and the others in this thread, but we have no immediate plans to add DXF as an export format, so you may be waiting for a very long time. Serif offer a 14 day returns policy rather than keeping it hoping for something to change.

Serif also offer a 30 day trial if in the future you want to try the software if it becomes more suitable for your needs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@JoeJammer

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Sorry to disappoint you and the others in this thread, but we have no immediate plans to add DXF as an export format, so you may be waiting for a very long time. Serif offer a 14 day returns policy rather than keeping it hoping for something to change.

Serif also offer a 30 day trial if in the future you want to try the software if it becomes more suitable for your needs.

I appreciate the update on this issue and the honesty. It would help to know why (because the demand seems there). Is it technically difficult? I’m sure most people looking for DXF import would highly value export as well. So it’s very confusing for me. 

14 hours ago, LOB said:

I appreciate the update on this issue and the honesty. It would help to know why (because the demand seems there). Is it technically difficult? I’m sure most people looking for DXF import would highly value export as well. So it’s very confusing for me. 

My guess would be that DXF can't save most features from Designer.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

On 1/6/2023 at 2:39 AM, fec_nd said:

Just talked to a metal fabricator who wants my Affinity vectors in a DXF file. Sure they can look at my SVGs and give me an estimate, but they can only cut from a DXF. Looking at 3rd party conversion.

Not that I'm objecting to the export functionality, but the DXF format is usually asked because it comes directly from the CAD, and there are no dangerous conversions in the middle. If the original drawing is made in Designer, it is likely that an SVG exported from it is more accurate than a DXF converted with another program.

Paolo

I agree with you 100% but it looks like Serif is covering their ears not wanting to listen to what their customers are asking for. I probably wouldnt even have kept their product except I all ready have Flexisign that can save .dxf for me. But yes, there is a chance of unwanted changes when shifting between multiple programs.

• Staff
21 hours ago, LOB said:

Is it technically difficult?

Very yes, but it is also very time consuming. Most of the problem is that DFX files have a completely different document model and there is no 1-2-1 mapping of objects or even concepts. DXF is essentially a 3D file format and importing was quite the task. Exporting would be similarly difficult to map from our document constructs/hierarchy/approach to DXFs.

Furthermore once you have import and export everyone would think that you could just open a file make a small change and export it and expect that exported file to be near identical to the imported original and function perfectly in the application that created the source DXF. That is simply unrealistic. Once you appreciate that the Document Object Models are essentially incompatible you have to be very very clear that you cannot import/edit/export and expect the file to be the same. It would lead to loads of problems that our exported files were not "right for this 3rd party application" or "cannot load into that 3rd party application".

I know that this is not what people here want to hear, and many will say "I worked in software development for 30 years and I know this is an easy job" and  "they are ignoring us". It is NOT and we are not, we have looked into it.

I am not saying that Serif will never implement DXF export in the Affinity range, we would love to do it if it was an easy win (everyone likes an easy win), but in fact it is hard to do right and would likely not be what many hoped/expected. Serif would have to very carefully market the export in order to manage the expectations of those using the files generated.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

32 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Very yes, but it is also very time consuming. Most of the problem is that DFX files have a completely different document model and there is no 1-2-1 mapping of objects or even concepts. DXF is essentially a 3D file format and importing was quite the task. Exporting would be similarly difficult to map from our document constructs/hierarchy/approach to DXFs.

That's right, though there's another idea/route possible here, namely to export in a two way step (...via fast internal i/o streams), meaning to first export internally to SVG and then convert the later to DXF for final output. - AFAI recall other apps like Inkscape etc. do write out their internal SVG as DXF and there are also a bunch of svg2dxf converters available. BTW DXF also supports embedded raster images (though uncompressed BMP), similar as SVG does with other bitmaps.

32 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Furthermore once you have import and export everyone would think that you could just open a file make a small change and export it and expect that exported file to be near identical to the imported original and function perfectly in the application that created the source DXF. That is simply unrealistic.

That's actually also for SVG not possible which you still import/export, thus I would handle the DXF export at least in the same fashion as that then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I feel blessed in some way that we have as many options that we do in terms of other apps, despite all the shortcomings of some sorts with this one, that this is the battles we have to choose (even if it means some still being stuck with a far more expensive alternative).

I am sure Serif staff checks out alts all the time and is engaged with that market, are also in awe of what they can do, but struggles to get the same or better solutions into Affinity. That's mainly human curiosity. Of course they may share the some of the same frustrations as the rest of the base.

I feel most for designers who truly have few options due to specific need and are sewed at the hip to a certain behemoth. Still, I point to the growing war chest in this field and think it can only be a good thing. Only time will tell what actually gets prioritized by Serif. So don't be *too* discouraged is what I want to say, basically. If there is truly a great need, like OP says, a competitor will step forward eventually or Serif will include it when ready. Whefe the need arises, there will be someone looking to fill that void.

Consider the initial problem of Adobe being the industry cannibal. If it continues down this path where it is expected every potential competitor to become the next swiss army knife (again...), we may well end up with the same solutions and terrible outcomes from before with which we were trying to avoid in the first place. It doesn't make this a "bad" request, far from it. It was acknowledged they made the effort to do import and export, but they had to choose their battles, so they do see there is a need for this.

TLDR: I feel for ppl like OP staring at the subs emptying their wallet. I also see the basis for this discussion as a reason to be encouraged.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

10 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I am not saying that Serif will never implement DXF export in the Affinity range, we would love to do it if it was an easy win (everyone likes an easy win), but in fact it is hard to do right and would likely not be what many hoped/expected. Serif would have to very carefully market the export in order to manage the expectations of those using the files generated.

Instead, Affinity very carefully worded their marketing so that it implied DXF export... ?

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

and try to read,

... and
image.png.38e5022b88dc035be0ca24c789105038.png

From someone who does 2d,as well as 3d ,and CAD, I can not think of 1 use where only importing Dxf without export ability would be useful.

Importing .dxf without export is USELESS regardless of how they sell it. There's no other formats that AD can output that has any value to any 3d or CAD project. 

It was Just a simple wasteful plug of wasted abilities AD could provide.

6 hours ago, Calvert said:

I can not think of 1 use where only importing Dxf without export ability would be useful.

Importing .dxf without export is USELESS

Importing documents/drawings from CAD and their subsequent use in professional publications, manuals, project documentation, or perhaps just in advertising brochures (that is, in the entire DTP industry, which Affinity applications are aimed at), is very common and very useful.