You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing visibility of many layers at once

Much of my work has many layers and objects that I need to switch on and off to make my graphics.  

Is there a way to change the visibility on multiple objects with one stroke?

(before you say "group the objects together", I know that trick, and use it often.  There are just times when that isn't a reasonable option, nor would it save steps)

Any help is appreciated!

iMac 21.5" Mid 2011

2.5 GHz i5

Okay.... how about the inverse.

Instead of clicking on the twenty layers I want to hide, is there a way to click on just the ONE layer I want visible that will hide everything else??

(edit: Ah... I think Alt clicking kind of does it. But As soon as you click off of that particular object everything comes back)

@JoePoe,

Yes, ⌥ (option/alt) clicking the layer's thumbnail, will hide everything else while you are editing that object. As soon as you deselect it all the rest becomes visible again.

That is an amazing tip that I had no clue about.  Thanks MEB!  It will certainly come in handy.  However,  It would be nice to be able to select multiple thumbnails.

I WISH!!  I've tried that, but it doesn't work.

That’s strange … are you sure you followed MEB’s more detailed explanation? Still no success?  :unsure:

Instead of clicking on the twenty layers I want to hide, is there a way to click on just the ONE layer I want visible that will hide everything else??

Obviously, I would suggest Cmd + A, then Cmd + Click the layer you want to keep visible, and uncheck the checkbox of one of the other layers. Okay, that’s none of those one-click solutions …  ;)

Nope.  I've tried every solution suggested (which I appreciate!), and no love.  I've even tried combinations of solutions, nope, nothing, nada.  

After you have selected multiple layers (indicated by the blue background in the Layers panel), are you sure you are clicking within the visibility checkbox of one of those layers?

If you click anywhere else in that layer, it will just change the selection to that one layer. Is that what you are seeing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

how did you try to group the layers? select them all (cmd+click), then rightclick, then group. after this, you should be able to make the visible or unvisible just clicking in the visibility checkbox of the group

Did you notice that in his first post, AmpedAndy said "(before you say "group the objects together", I know that trick, and use it often"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help, but alas, it ain't working.  

Fine to group things, or put them in layers and hide or unhide the group or layer, but if I want to do that to a few things in a group or a layer, it just doesn't work. 

What things are you talking about? Every editable shape in AD is on its own layer -- the only way more than one of them can be on the same layer is if you rasterize multiple shape layers, combining them into a single pixel layer.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

how did you try to group the layers? select them all (cmd+click), then rightclick, then group. after this, you should be able to make the visible or unvisible just clicking in the visibility checkbox of the group

Is it possible that this still doesn't work for Affinity Photo on Windows?