You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

View --> Grid on/off not working

hy13

1. From the beginning, after loading a file for edit, the menu item View -->Grid on/off is not working. The hook is set or reset, but no grid to be seen in either state. The same with key shortcut CTRL+'

2. After configuring under "View-->Grid and axes..." it is possible to switch grid on and off via View-->Grid menu item, but key shortcut CTRL+' is still not working.

3. Zooming in, like described in help file, does not show grid either

4. After closing the modified file and loading another file for edit the situation is again like under 1.

5. Configuring "View-->Grid and axes ..." and saving the configuration under a new name is memorized, but not loaded when opening another file for edit. This means: for every new file to edit a reload of the stored configuration is necessary before one can switch the grid. Mind: Shortcut CTRL+' never worked as expected.

AP V 2.0 under Win 10 Pro

On 11/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, hy13 said:

From the beginning, after loading a file for edit, the menu item View -->Grid on/off is not working. The hook is set or reset, but no grid to be seen in either state. The same with key shortcut CTRL+'

The default grid in Photo is a Pixel Grid, which you'll only see if you're zoomed in far enough. On an empty document I just created, zooming in to 800% showed the grid.

On 11/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, hy13 said:

The same with key shortcut CTRL+'

Ctrl+' works for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, hy13 said:

Congratulations Walt. And now please tell us how you managed to achieve your success. Thank you.

Which?

• The grid showing at all? For that, in Photo, you have to use a different Grid setting. Don't use Default.
  • Ctrl+' to show or not show the grid. No idea. It just works. If it works for you in V1 and doesn't in V2 that's strange. If it doesn't work in either, the only thing I can think of is possibly your keyboard is setup differently from mine. I've got a standard US keyboard. If you don't, you might need to change the shortcut to something that works for you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, PetervL said:

Just the "Automatic" setting does not work in V2.

Yes, because that's a pixel grid, which requires zooming in significantly to see it.

-- Walt
PC:

Can confirm the default is a pixel grid even in documents set to inches. I work large so I will not see this grid by default.

Just a thought, but it might help to send a UI cue to show there was a change when Ctrl + '/Show grid is toggled. Purple border?
Status message that flashes in the bottom left? ("Default 'Pixel grid' is enabled..."). I don't know. Something.

Also could be handy to allow user to set the default/auto grid. A helpful productivity aid.

@walt.farrell

general statements: V1 and V2 share the same computer and operating system and no change in hardware so far.

further test results:

1. changing the key table entry from CTRL+' to CTRL+# makes the key mechanism work. This results from the fact, that one needs to press the SHIFT key, which is not indicated in the dialog text. There is written CTRL+' and not CTRL+SHIFT+'. Different software behaves different at that point, but OK.

2. In V1 the grid mode is set to "automatic" mode as default and switching grid from on to off and vice versa works fine in that mode.

3. in V2 the grid mode is set to "automatic" mode as default and switching grid from on to off and vice versa does not work.

4. changing the grid mode from "automatic" to "basic" while file remains open makes grid --> on/off work via menu and as well via shortcut

5. the "basic" mode setting gets lost after changing to another picture file even when AP 2 stays open in between.

6. when you save the picture file after having grid mode set to "basic", the grid mode "basic" is back on reopen of that same file. Thus any other opened picture file is opened in state "automatic" again until you save it in "basic" mode, too.

7. Changed grid colors however are memorized until you change them. Even when AP 2 was closed in between.

Is there some other parameter or operation which makes AP 2 to memorize grid mode once it was changed? I do not think, that Serif intended to let me open some 10.000 files in order to save grid mode inside those picture files.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem using Windows 10 Pro.   Even though Show Grid is selected, it doesn’t work unless I go into Grid and Axis to have it shown.  Ctrl plus ‘ does NOT work by itself unless grid is activated via Grid and Axis first.  And I’m talking about Basic Grid not Pixel Grid. Is it possible to fix this problem by fixing the CTRL plus ‘ function?