You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V2, updates, pricing and no subscription (moved)

Ich habe Affinity V1 am 16.12.2016 für 1cent weniger als 40Euro gekauft, was habe ich einen Spass gehabt mit der V1, jetzt mit der V2 habe ich auch schon viel versucht und sage gut geworden!
Weiter so und sich nicht irre machen lassen von Kritik, viele wollen ein zweites PS aber das ist falsch gedacht. Arbeitet euch ein auf Affinity V2 und vergesst Eure Arbeitsweise mit PS. 
Affinity kann mehr wenn man sich eingearbeitet hat!

I bought Affinity V1 on December 16th, 2016 for 1 cent less than 40 euros, what fun I had with the V1, now with the V2 I have already tried a lot and say it turned out well!
Keep it up and don't be fooled by criticism, many want a second PS but that's wrong. Familiarize yourself with Affinity V2 and forget working with PS.
Affinity can do more once you've got the hang of it!

Wer sich beschweren will bitte direkt an Affinity und nicht ins Forum!

If you want to complain, please contact Affinity directly and not in the forum! 

3 hours ago, lettersign said:

@debraspicher I personally bought a licence for v1 ten months ago to support the developers financially because of their ideology and to stimulate the release of v2. I haven't even had a chance to use v1 yet, because it need time for adaptation. But instead in response to my support of their product I received a disrespectful attitude, no free update and tales of how gorgeous offer I received and from community sentences about how ungrateful I was.

It's a very unpleasant experience, completely the opposite of the impression that Affinity has formed through user reviews.

Wow, so you bought one v1 app at 30% off a year ago and you feel 40% off for v2 now is not enough?? You seriously expect to get a free upgrade??

yeah, that in my book is ungrateful. 

3 hours ago, Viridian said:

That is why I won't be upgrading or buying Affinity product again. This lack of communication about the upcoming update is a choice of a business model. 

I've bought V1 of designer beginning of November, to be clear.

Have you contacted support? They’re arranging for people who bought the apps recently to get free upgrades. I would do that before posting about how disappointed I am.

On 11/16/2022 at 3:54 PM, Ash said:

Overall I do believe us giving a 40% discount, along with the addition of the new Universal Licence of course, is offering fantastic value for money for those who want to upgrade.

The Universal Licence is indeed fantastic value for money, but 40% off £144.99 is £86.99, not £89.99.

B27E0923-7E49-49C8-84CC-C98F7CC7F528.thumb.jpeg.387d543d836132a628816e819a5950d8.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
13 minutes ago, Cantisani said:

Wow, so you bought one v1 app at 30% off a year ago

We don't know that for certain, we only have Serifs records to hand. Other purchases may have been made on other Apple or Microsoft stores, but we have No Record of any of those, which is my point about being unable to be fair to offer differential prices to ALL existing customers without making thousands of mistakes and upsetting everyone. A single offer price is pretty much the only easy way to do this launch and I'm sorry that each person who thinks they should have been offered something else cannot see that all other solutions present different problems 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

We don't know that for certain, we only have Serifs records to hand. Other purchases may have been made on other Apple or Microsoft stores, but we have No Record of any of those, which is my point about being unable to be fair to offer differential prices to ALL existing customers without making thousands of mistakes and upsetting everyone. A singl price is pretty much the only easy way to do this launch 

I stand corrected. I bought all 3 apps a couple of years ago, but I made the mistake of buying 2 of the apps through the App Store and one in your website. I also bought photo and designer for the iPad. 

I want to say I do appreciate the 40% discount and will be buying the universal license before the offer expires. I don’t care if new users get the same discount, that’s none of my business. 

Thanks to the whole team for making great software, and to the company for listening to us and staying away from subscription. Now that would be awful but you listened and I certainly appreciate it. 

Thanks Ash for this statement. I personally can't understand the complaints. You an your team offered a huge suite at a professional level for a very fair price. Thanks for this excellent apps and: Please create something better than Lightroom. Just to silence all those Adobe-enthusiasts. 

2 hours ago, Transrobotism said:

Had that be me, I would have called Serif sales and had a kind word with representative to cut a deal. You hitting out like you've been beaten within an inch of your life is a bit dramatic, wouldn't you say? 

I'd say that I am not sure what you were trying to achieve with this comment. 

47 minutes ago, Viridian said:

I'd say that I am not sure what you were trying to achieve with this comment. 

Oh! Okay... 

1. Quit being so dramatic. 
  2. Give Serif Customer Service a call or contact a representative here, tell this person what you have experienced and see if something can be done. 

All the best! 😇

@Patrick Connor @Ash Can you say something about, why you have raised the euro price drastically compared to the pound price? I still don't get it - a year ago it was practically identical and the exchange rate is more or less the same. I bought my six Affinity licences from the Affinity store... so there are no Apple €/$ price tiers.

It would be really great to know what new features can we expected, at least these which are supposed to be added in the nearest feature, as an incentive and to show some perspective of development of v2 brach, especially that Serif was usually silent when it comes to information about new features. ;) 

Personally that's the most interesting and bothering thing for me, because update price, comparing to the competition, is still extremely affordable, but time limited. I have no doubt that many will choose to support you on spec and that's great but you could encourage more :) 

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Can you say something about, why you have raised the euro price drastically compared to the pound price?

We have not raised it deliberately. We set the choose an Apples price tier as explained here and other countries prices follow from there

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Now is the perfect time to unfollow this thread. 🙄

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

The Affinity line is a terrific value. The discounts offered - Universal License, etc. - can't be beat. The software is outstanding. And the communique from Ash further solidifies an already solid reputation for the honesty and integrity of the company.

I'm a happy V1>V2 user. Keep up the good work!

• Staff
21 minutes ago, Loocor said:

Just curious, how do you validate V1 users to give away the bonus contents?

As I said we will do it for anyone who had registered V1 and gone on to buy V2. As the content will only be coming direct from us and will be free we don’t have to worry about how that could been made available on the App Store, and does not have any possibility of violating of App Store conditions.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

29 minutes ago, Ash said:

As I said we will do it for anyone who had registered V1 and gone on to buy V2. As the content will only be coming direct from us and will be free we don’t have to worry about how that could been made available on the App Store, and does not have any possibility of violating of App Store conditions.

I see so they need to have the Affinity account and register V1 in there even if it's the MAS version.

16 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

As a matter of interest how much discount would you have expected ?

I’m dissapointed. I told this many times. I was in shock after your reply and I felt terrible about writing back. Are you seriously answering like this from official account? You form some kind of toxic community. And according to other forum members' responses, that's exactly what it is. Crazy. This is an entirely inappropriate reaction, that provocates toxic comments, from a Head of Quality Assurance and Support 🤦‍♂️

Why you ignore all my other messages where I explained my position and posted this manipulative answer only for the one last comment? Neither the price nor the quantity paid has anything to do with what many of your customers have already expressed in this thread. But you ignore all they write.

A lot of people have commented here who feel the fact that you are ignoring them as new customers of v1 is unfair. You lost their loyalty and loyanty of all your future customers, because they all will know about this situation without upgrade. Instead of considering these comments, you're busy putting likes under the complimentary comments in this discussion. It looks strange...

I will try to repeat my position again.

1. You give a 40% discount and call it a gorgeous discout for customers of v1, but it is a regular "launch offer" not higher than the % that many companies give on launch. OMG you call it on the site «launch offer" and the launch offer you pass off as a discount for old customers. But this is manipulation and not true. It is a sales promotional discount, a tool to promote sales, not a gift for v1 users.

2. Later it turned out that you give an extra 50% discount on the Suite to owners of any v1 product and a free upgrade for the v1 product they bought already. But you do it secretly, without publishing clear and open criteria for what period this discount is for (without a specific clear date). Still this data has not been published. Although it is correct to do so before such a deadline for a reasonable period. Traditionally, the free upgrade period for design products is 365 days. If you shortened that period, you should have warned users and customers for 1 year before the v2 release, you need to aware that they weren't getting the upgrade to 1.11 or v2. You should have warned that the support and evolution of the product people buy will end after 1 year and they won't get the free upgrade. You did not do that. Now a lot of users are outraged (of course the was maybe just 1%, but they are and you decide to ignore them and make money from them twice. It’s not fair.), you lose their loyalty and the loyalty of long time users who recommended others to buy Affinity and those got caught up in this situation.

3. Why am I writing all this? I believe this situation is taking a huge toll on the trust and loyalty of Affinity products. People will not forget what happened. As soon as become rumors, 2-3 years from now, that v3 might be out soon, people will immediately stop buying v2. Users will come on the forums and tell them to wait, "Don't buy!!!", they will remind new possible customers that Serif doesn't give a new version to people who bought Affinity at a bad time. Which means your sales will drop, the number of users will stop growing. And all users will get a worse product because of luck of budget.

It's fair to give a free upgrade to anyone who buys a license 1 year before the next version is released. It's fair to give all other users 50% for the upgrade. This is fair to the user community. It's transparent and clear criteria, understanding that people won't be afraid of a new version release when buying an old one, because they will know that Serif doesn't want to leave them fooled. It's a simple and obvious solution. Everyone here defending the flawed solution with the v2 release is hurting Affinity.

In order to ensure that what has happened now never happens again, all Affinity users and Support must be interested to make changes, to give clear realictic criterias (now stupid abstract few weeks, but 6 оr 12 months) for the upgrade and use them in the future.
I hope it will happen.