You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remote volume support

This isn't necessarily a bug per se, but I wanted to make everyone aware of it in case it is. At work, I commonly work on documents off of a remote file server. Everything works correctly, unless I forget to close the file before I leave for the day. Sometime at night the file server is backed up and I lose the connection to it. In the morning, when I go to Affinity Designer, the open file pops up a warning that the open file cannot be found and it will now close down. Sadly there is only an "OK" button in that dialog box, and not a "Save As" to give me a chance to save it locally in case it didn't save. Designer will then quit and when I reopen (after connecting to the file server) I can usually open the recovery file that is offered by Designer and I'm good. 

All I need to do is remember to not leave anything open when I leave work, but is this how it's supposed to work?

Our file servers are Windows boxes off campus (I work at a university). They simply disconnect from any desktop that is using them when they run a backup. I'm running v2 of Affinity on a Mac with OS 12.5.1. I have the same issue with any Creative Cloud files I leave open, but they remain loaded in memory and can reconnect with themselves if I reconnect to the file server before I mess with them. I was mostly surprised that Designer didn't give me an option to save a local copy before it shut down. Like I said, it's not a big deal because I should close everything when I go home, but I often don't. Today though I noticed that even though I wasn't connected to the file server any longer I was still able to work on and modify an open document. Only when I went to save it did the error message pop up notifying me that Designer couldn't find the file and would shut down.

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

What version are you on @MikeO? Previously we kept file handles open, but because of problems like this, we changed the solution so that files were copied locally first, and original file handles discarded. 

Possibly related topic:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1