You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I stop affinity photo from erasing on an disable layer

I'll try to explain better. 

So basically I am preparing images to be animated by cutting elements separately.

Sometime i'll either copy an element or duplicate the layer in order to erase what I don't need. The issue is when I turn off the viability of a layer, if I forget to select the visible layer, affinity will erase on the selected layer even if it is turned off. 

Is there a way to make this stop from happening? I already had to redo quite a few things due to this. I know I can disable the layer and then lock it but, the moment you turn the visibility off the layer shouldn't be affected even if selected.  

Also is there a faster way to export all layers as individual photos? I know I can use the slice tool and then export each layer but if I have 15 or 20 layers it become very time consuming. 

PS: I come from Photoshop, I am very new to Affinity.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Sulsa said:

Also is there a faster way to export all layers as individual photos? I know I can use the slice tool and then export each layer but if I have 15 or 20 layers it become very time consuming. 

Try using the Export Person in either Photo or Designer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Try using the Export Person in either Photo or Designer.

I use person but I can only export one layer at a time. I use the slice tool then go to slices and there is a little export button there. But I can’t do them all at the same time.

1 minute ago, Sulsa said:

I use person but I can only export one layer at a time. I use the slice tool then go to slices and there is a little export button there. But I can’t do them all at the same time.

There is a Layers panel in the Export Persona which will show all the layers, you can select each layer and promote them to slices which will show up in the Slices pane.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/16/2022 at 5:19 PM, Old Bruce said:

There is a Layers panel in the Export Persona which will show all the layers, you can select each layer and promote them to slices which will show up in the Slices pane.

That worked. 

Do you know how to avoid layers that are invisible immune to brush or eraser? 

I keep accidentally deleting and painting on layers I have purposely disabled. It's really annoying :( 

45 minutes ago, Sulsa said:

I keep accidentally deleting and painting on layers I have purposely disabled.

Locking a layer basically just stops you from selecting it by clicking in the workspace (but you can still select in the Layers panel), and from moving or resizing the layer. Once you select a locked layer in the Layers panel you can modify its contents. This is all intentional.

And you can modify the contents of a layer that is hidden, if it is selected. I do not know whether this is intentional or a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 11/20/2022 at 7:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

And you can modify the contents of a layer that is hidden, if it is selected. I do not know whether this is intentional or a bug.

AFAIK this is intentional :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 11/16/2022 at 3:48 PM, Sulsa said:

PS: I come from Photoshop, I am very new to Affinity.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

The export persona  is quick & simple to export image Layers/image groups. I have exported 40+ images in a minute or two.

The slow part is when you want those 40 images exported in 4 or 5 different file formats but then you could export the 40 and then use a batch job but then there is  less file formats available. If you do the same thing often it would save time to set the file up once and save it as a template. I have.

Feel free to bump my "feature request"

@Sulsa

For your use case, Export Persona is quite good as was suggested. I really recommend giving Elaine's video a listen when you have free time because it has other capabilities.

This video is for Designer but it's more or less the same across the programs. I'm not sure what portions of Photo you are using and what the advantages are, however, a potential "workaround" against this oversight is separating by art boards instead of layers, if that makes sense. Since those will be plotted across the screen instead of on top on another. Not possible to erase what is hidden underneath. If you know the frame count in advance, you can also create the artboards in Designer and import into Photo and work using that method. The files are meant to be exchanged back and forth, so it's always possible to add/remove artboards. Those artboards will become slices automatically.

Personally, I use multiple layers in Photo for exporting assets, especially pattern layers which is Photo-only, so I understand your suffering. I save multiple versions of the same file out of habit and that just so happens to be my "workaround". I'm constantly exporting as well so I tend to have a backup of my pixel layers.