You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Items Selection Nightmare :(

Tazintosh

Hi folks,

I feel there is a big regression on selection precision and a very effective productivity killer.
The following is similar to this topic but applies more globally on my video.

This first video shows the selection process using Affinity Designer V1:
If I need the selection items inside a group or a shape, I'm pressing cmd. Please note that selecting the white rectangle works flawlessly whenever the pointer does not hover a text. This is all perfectly working.

This second video shows the selection process using Affinity Designer V2:
Here I'm trying to select the white rectangle. Even if my pointer clearly not overlap texts, those will select, making impossible to reach the white rectangle. It's like there is a huge invisible contour/offset around texts. Also, the tendency of the move tool to switch to text tool is super annoying.

Hope this helps.
Regards.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

What happens in v2 is that the Move tool registers text objects by their body height, not by the bounding box. So even though you're clicking outside the box, the invisible typographical body obscures the background.

I don't see any reason why this should be "by design". This looks like a bug indeed.

That said, the "workaround" is simple:

On 11/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, Tazintosh said:

I'm pressing cmd

Use Option-click instead.

In fact, that's even what the Help says, both for v1 and v2: affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/select.html

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

But it still is bad!!!! How in the FK is it possible to select date instead of 20%?? they are not even overlapping!!! Again with the workarounds, again I have to adapt to this crap app because I am not even able to select non overlapping objects! Whenever I double click the date, it selects the 20%..

Edit: I can't even select the logo, which is even more up!!

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 13.40.35.JPG

You have NO IDEA how mad and frustrated I am, because moving around stuff ALWAYS selects the damn 20%. Everything in range of that 20% is unselectable, unless I play the piano on my keyboard, pressing cmd + option, then maybe add shift, then I forget to press option, then the 20% won't deselect and so on.. If I convert to curves, it works fine. But I don't want to, maybe I have to change it later bc they don't like the font..

Even with cmd+option the 20% gets selected, and 2nd time click will select something above or below it. I'm MAD AF!!! Something so simple that worked, makes your workflow so slow and always looking for workarounds.. Whatever I do in this app, requires workarounds now! WTF? This isn't how it used to be. I could trust this app on some level.

Locking won't help as It's still in the moving, modifying process. it's a draft, testing phase. Anyway I converted to curves, but like I said, this app is always with the workarounds. And the bug fixes come sooooooooo slow. I had to go 6 months or so, in my first year of V1, with text not updating fonts, until I selected a specific font (hat no live font preview)

Option-click is not a "workaround".
It's the inteded workflow for this kind of scenario.

That said, I definitely don't deny that using body height rather than the bounding box as the click zone is a bug that should be addressed.
Now that it's been reported and documented here, all we can do is to wait for a fix.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

"The option  selects objects which are located directly behind the currently selected object."

It is a workaround, as there is NOTHING BEHIND the text 20%. All text is completely above and not touching the 20% bounding box (and layers too!). So cmd click should select it perfectly. I have NEVER used opt+cmd click in V1, and was able to select everything perfectly, objects behind, objects in groups. It this case, it's a workaround. Also opt+cmd still selects 20% first.. and after that the logo.

But yeah, all this is caused by the bad bounding box zone for text.

Also, now that I want to use this as a starting point for my next design, something weird is going on.. Whenever I select text tool to make a new art text, the small "A" preview flies away from the mouse as it gets bigger. Selecting a new art text body after that, selects weirdly. Look at the screenshot, wtf is that?.. There are no spaces after the 15%

Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 16.06.43.JPG

Error.afdesign

Hi guys,

I'll add this new issue, related, since we end up not being able to select elements.
You'll find the document attached to try out.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create two open shapes with fill
  • Make one child of the other
  • Try selecting the child by pressing ⌘ (on macOS). It works
  • Now remove the fill on the parent shape and try again: It won't work, you cannot select the child anymore.

Affinity - V2 Selection Nightmare - OpenShape.afdesign

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Oddly if I set the fill for the Parent layer to 0% opacity I can still select the child layer with either the Command + Click or a double click. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

OFC it's not fixed :))))))) only the save to SSD was fixed.

At this point I'm not even sure what the issue is.. is it they are a big company and there is no communication, or are they small and poor and don't have the manpower?? What do I need to do to get the bugs fixed??? Should I send in my laptop, because my daily 4-5 sent crash reports aren't enough I see.. I swear, this has to be the most trash customer support I have EVER seen! (and I'm not talking about the mods, who reply and try to help).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delay getting back to you.
I've bumped/updated the original report again and will bring it to devs attention - it is indeed a bit problematic/cumbersome trying to work as it is. My apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you.

@Tazintosh,
I'm logging your second issue (selecting an object using cmd). V1 does behave the same way, so this is nothing new but should work as expected. Thanks for raising it up.

• Staff

Hi @norbinw,
Version 2.0.4 was a quick release/build to fix most critical/urgent issues detected after release (apart from a couple that were ready and safe to be included)
Version 2.1 will cover/fix a broader range of issues/bugs reported by users since launch. We do take your feedback seriously but we need to manage/prioritize them in some way because there's no resources to fix them all in such a short time.

I don't believe 3 months is such a short time.. And then again, if the app was unstable and so full of bugs, why was it released? Why rush a beta and try to fix it to "launch version" in half a year?... 

Second, I wasn't the one to set the price for your app. I paid whatever you asked for, it's not my problem you have weak or cheap devs.. I would have even paid 2x the price, for a smooth app. 

Some bugs I constantly report, are present from V1!!! Like the hang bug from export persona. It's carried on like a STD from version to version.. But yeah, will wait for 2.1 to see how much you guys do care. 

• Staff

Hi @norbinw,
It wasn't 3 months. Developers and staff also needed to rest and enjoy Christmas/New Year celebrations with their families. I was trying to address your comment/feedback about v2.0.4 specifically and what it was about. It doesn't mean it was everything we have done during this period. Some issues other than the fixes included in that build also did take time to sort out: the app's activations proved to be more tricky than expected and required some code revisions; the negative feedback towards the MSIX package format also required to build and test new EXE files, a new content package ( for V1 users who upgraded to V2 as a thank you for their support) was also prepared/tested during this period; several bugs more were fixed but weren't ready or considered safe to be included in the first patch (still have to go through QA), etc.

It's true there was a bit more bugs than we hoped for - quite a few due to the improved/changed UI - but we are addressing them as quickly as we can. A broader/public release also brings up issues that weren't detected during internal testing. V2 however fixed a few old V1 bugs.

The price of the app doesn't always sort everything out - there must be a balance here. And the sad/untrue comment about the developers was unnecessary - they are quite good/qualified actually. The issue is finding more like them. We have been and still are looking for/hiring more developers for months (years?) now.