You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please dont do this

I wish Affinity wouldnt change icons for the same item. Just to make the interface different, its frustrating to search what you formally knew, yes I know I can hit the ? Key all the time.

Anyway I took screen shot of the icons and pasted into APho2, so I have 2 layers, I wanted to align the layers to show how different they were, and then and then I was unable to show the layers side by side wtf? Cant move the layers or moving them, they disappear, such a simple task, the icon shows an alpha background, but the layer background is white and cant erase!

Good that in general there appears more icon contrast, in the new version, however the icon to convert a path to a selection is almost invisible.

icons.afphoto

Ok so part of the problem is associated with a non-destructive crop, unclipping the canvas reveal 2 backgrounds that I was totally unaware were there.

I intensely dislike this obligatory non-destructive feature.

Anyway this tiny image is still very large in size because the non-destructive crop. 
So why does layer icon show a checkerboad pattern if the background is opaque?  

icons.afphoto

4 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

So why does layer icon show a checkerboad pattern if the background is opaque?

The background is not opaque. Your document has Transparent Background selected, and the full transparent background is still there. Here's what your latest .afphoto looks like for me:

image.png.3ab2111619003840b1ccc14649531bea.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

I intensely dislike this obligatory non-destructive feature.

I find it useful but if you want a permanent crop just rasterise and trim after cropping. Now unclipping canvas will not reveal previously cropped area.

Untitled_4.afphoto

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

If I was exporting an image fine, but I work with multiple images from other files in one APho file and this necessitates I crop each image before bringing into APho, and IPad photo also does a non destructive crop. To avoid this I must bring image into APho crop it then export it and bring the cropped file in.

Look below at image I uploaded above. If I wanted to rotate the cropped layer, I have to zoom way out to even see the rotate handle. 
Yes I know there are work arounds for this, and some cases much more extreme when working with very large images.

In addition the cropped file icon is so small cant see what the layer is without having to names it. Its all about ease of use.

54CEDF53-A14A-4775-8D12-6EC870AFDABB.png

It’s not hard to rasterise-trim the cropped image.🙂

B234A75B-33BE-4356-8210-E39635029D78.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/