You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Urgent - Unlink smart objects from Photoshop

I have opened a photoshop psd file of a mock-up, it has smart objects working as embedded documents as should. However, I have copied and moved some of the smart objects, but when I edit one of them, it edits the others too. In photoshop there is an option to copy into a new unlinked smart object, but I can't find any similar function in Photo, is there any solution?

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 1:45 AM, Distill7 said:

In photoshop there is an option to copy into a new unlinked smart object, but I can't find any similar function in Photo, is there any solution?

Simply place the proprietary file in question several times in your document (File > Place). After double-clicking on an object, you can edit it in a new window independently of the others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2023 at 11:14 AM, Michail said:

Simply place the proprietary file in question several times in your document (File > Place). After double-clicking on an object, you can edit it in a new window independently of the others.

@Michail Thanks for answering. I'm having this issue too. Can you elaborate? No matter how many times I paste or place the copied object, it is still linked to the originally copied object so that any changes made to the "new" object result in those changes migrating back to the original object.

8 hours ago, JayEm said:

Can you elaborate? No matter how many times I paste or place the copied object, it is still linked to the originally copied object so that any changes made to the "new" object result in those changes migrating back to the original object.

If you place a proprietary file several times, you get a separate layer for each of these files. These layers are independent of each other.
Click on one of these layers to activate it. Then double-click on the content in your layout. This opens this content in its own tab (therefore proprietary). Make the desired edits and close the tab again. You can also do this with the other placed layers without them influencing each other.

5 hours ago, Michail said:

If you place a proprietary file several times, you get a separate layer for each of these files. These layers are independent of each other.
Click on one of these layers to activate it. Then double-click on the content in your layout. This opens this content in its own tab (therefore proprietary). Make the desired edits and close the tab again. You can also do this with the other placed layers without them influencing each other.

Ohhh. So place the whole FILE, not just the object. That makes sense. Thank you! Off to lose another day in the photo manipulation rabbit hole. :D