PixelPoetix

VERY disappointed with Affinity Designer lately

Hello...

I have to admit that I've gotten to the point where I am preparing to migrate all my work back to Adobe Illustrator after being a fan of Affinity Designer from the beginning - I purchased it from the MAS, was impressed immediately and quickly adopted it as my daily graphic design tool, replacing Illustrator (even though my company pays for Adobe CC for me). But over the last few months, Affinity Designer is becoming increasingly unusable - so many bugs and I don't have time to log in here and report them all. I'm usually far too swamped with projects and it's bad enough I've had to spend extra time recreating whole projects in Illustrator just to get an output that is a professional enough quality to turn in. I can't tell you how many times I've exported a project from AD and ended up having to apologize for the poor output due to the way AD handles color, PDF exports, fonts, etc etc etc...the list seems to be expanding with each new release.

What sucks is that I REALLY want to keep using AD - its user interface works for me so much better than Illustrator and I've become so accustomed to its workflow that I dread having to re-orient myself to the idiosyncrasies of Illustrator. And I REALLY don't want to have to shell out the cash to try something else like Sketch (which seems to have a higher adoption rate industry wide).

I've even been using the betas as they're released in the hopes that some of the issues I've been experiencing will be addressed and each time I get hopeful as I download the latest one and infer from the release notes that maybe, just maybe one or two things have been fixed. But alas, there are still some persistent bugs that add time and frustration to my workflow and rather than that number decreasing, it seems to be increasing with each new release bringing a further and further degradation in performance.

So, PLEASE can someone give me a reason to stick around? Please tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that what seems to be a downhill slide for AD is only temporary and the dev team is aware and working on bringing it back to the glory and esteem it once held?

In the meantime, despite feeling like I don't have the time to do so, I am going to start hammering you with every bug I encounter in the hopes that your team will actually listen and fix them and the time I spend reporting the bugs will be less than the time it would take me to migrate back to Illustrator as my primary graphic design app. Here's to hoping you make me a fan again.

Sad and Skeptically Yours,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to known you're having troubles with Designer. The 1.4 version did have a few unexpected bugs related with export (PDF, PNG) which were now corrected in version 1.4.1 (released yesterday).

If you still find bugs in the app, please do report them here so we can log and fix them. We all want it to be the best it can be.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just picked up 1.4.1. But I have to admit I am not ready to make AD the goto for professional UI/UX mockups or anything to do with advertising typography based projects just yet.

Instead I want to explore making geometrical art with it until it evolves more. I tell you Sketch is worth the investment. For responsive layout there is no better tool. I agree with you about Adobe. I know Illustrator well, but man is it ever so lack luster with elegant workflow that AD has.

Keep up the evolution Affinity. It's a colossal undertaking and you started off on the right foot!

Hi, have you shared you bugs along the way this whole time? Maybe your problems could've been solved all along but if you don't ask... Unless you have very specific things happening with your workflow that is not normal, again did you post any of these things? Don't want you to go back to A-blow-me.

I'm sorry you've had this experience. As MEB says, we're aware we've had more issues than we should with PDF export. This happened partly because we rewrote our PDF export, and even with our customer betas we weren't able to uncover all of the real-world cases. However, the purpose of that rewrite was to improve PDF quality. We now offer PDF/X, spot colours, Pantone, control over downsampling and compression, so it should be more suitable for professional output.

You also mention fonts. We are aiming for typographic excellence and I had thought that with 1.4.1 our OpenType support was getting pretty good. We've also implemented font fallbacks and improved the UI. Could you be more specific about how our font handling falls short?

Every user is different and we rely on feedback from the real world to make our products better, so thanks again for your comments.

I am just learning Affinity Design. I haven't yet found a way to divide a segment… don't know if it can done. A list of basic Illustrator tools that are not yet available would be useful so we don't waste time trying.

I am using AD for only primitive constructs. Like the very early days of Macromedia Freehand.

What is a real problem, however is the handling of type. I can't get AD to place Zaph Dingbats… even though it is in the list of available fonts. The text box doesn't contain the entire line of characters, some of which disappear when the screen is resized.

PDFs seem to be OK but screen redrawing is erratic.

Duotones with transparent spot color gradients are not yet available. But no where in the help manual is there reference to this. (This goes for Affinity Photo, also.)

I find it very difficult generate a controlled line of text.

Are drop caps available? Can a paragraph be be set with leading? I don't think this can be a truly professional application without the ability to produce a properly formatted block of text.

Can a package be designed with AD?

A real help, particularly with Open Type, would be an available glyph list for each font.

The demo files don't deal with things I am actually involved with. I design elements and place them in Indesign, which is still working for me. 

I am just learning Affinity Design. I haven't yet found a way to divide a segment… don't know if it can done. A list of basic Illustrator tools that are not yet available would be useful so we don't waste time trying.

I am using AD for only primitive constructs. Like the very early days of Macromedia Freehand.

What is a real problem, however is the handling of type. I can't get AD to place Zaph Dingbats… even though it is in the list of available fonts. The text box doesn't contain the entire line of characters, some of which disappear when the screen is resized.

PDFs seem to be OK but screen redrawing is erratic.

Duotones with transparent spot color gradients are not yet available. But no where in the help manual is there reference to this. (This goes for Affinity Photo, also.)

I find it very difficult generate a controlled line of text.

Are drop caps available? Can a paragraph be be set with leading? I don't think this can be a truly professional application without the ability to produce a properly formatted block of text.

Can a package be designed with AD?

A real help, particularly with Open Type, would be an available glyph list for each font.

The demo files don't deal with things I am actually involved with. I design elements and place them in Indesign, which is still working for me. 

Take a look at the Character, Paragraph and Typography panels - most of the things you mention are available there :)

That's strange. It should work. As R C-R mentioned when you raised this before, Zapf Dingbats doesn't define many normal characters. If you try to use a-z, for example, the font doesn't define them but you should get Lucida Grande instead. Characters disappearing with zoom is even strange. Does that only happen with this one font? Could you attach a document that demonstrates the problem?

We don't support drop caps or numbered or bulleted lists yet. We do support leading, indents, space before and after paragraphs, and kerning, tracking, scaling, OpenType features, and many other text formatting options. Have you used Text > Show Character, Show Paragraph and Show Typography to see what is available?