You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scale with Object on Shape Builder Tool

Bri-Toon

I am testing out the new Shape Builder Tool, and I love it!

However, it seems to not recognize when “scale with object” is off. I switched it on to scale down my objects, and then I switched it off. But now when I add shapes, the stroke size increases, as if the switch is still on.

Here are the steps to get that result. Overlap two shapes. Select both, and scale down with “scale with object” toggled on. Now toggle the switch off. Add a shape with the Shape Builder Tool, and the stroke size of that segment should increase.

Let me know if anyone else experiences this.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Bri-Toon,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I've tried to replicate this issue here and thus far I've been unable to directly cause this - however I may have a reasoning for the behaviour you are seeing.

When drawing a Quick Shape and setting the Stroke Width, this will be retained when you next use the tool, however this does not update when 'Scale With Object' has changed the stroke size.

For example, if I draw a rectangle and set the Stroke to 2pt in Width manually, then enable Scale With Object and reduce the size of the Rectangle, the stroke width is also reduced accordingly, for example to 1.2pt width.

However, when next drawing a new rectangle with the Quick Shape tool, a 2pt width will be used, as this was the last value set manually.

If you were to then overlap the newly drawn 2pt width stroked shape, with the 1.2pt width stroked shape and use the Shape Builder tool, the app has to use either 2pt or 1.2pt for the stroke width (as you can't have a varying stroke width within one object, ignoring pressure) and in this case the larger value is used - potentially causing the behaviour you're seeing.

If this isn't what you're experiencing and I have misunderstood the steps you have taken, can you please provide a short screen recording showing these steps for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you for the steps, but I think we might be having a misunderstanding.

I used pencil strokes, as oppose to actual shapes. I forgot to specify that. I was building shapes from open paths. The issue is that the stroke size increases, as if Scale With Object is on, but it's not.

Here is a video that shows the steps more clearly.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me and my apologies for the misunderstanding!

I can confirm I'm able to replicate this issue here on both Desktop and iPad, therefore I'm logging it as a bug with our dev team now.

Many thanks for your report once again :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)