You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting EXR does not retain all the layers and names that I want

Been learning how to create matcaps for 3D modelling lately through Affinity. However, one thing I am trying to fix is that exporting .exr-files does not actually retain all the layers necessary to make a Blender matcap that can read a specular channel. 

Here is how it is supposed to look like:

image.thumb.png.6a44d427ce6c889571473ee9e2f2d671.png

Here is the export result:
image.thumb.png.5009bfa678f77cb4d8ade509160716b3.png

Any way to fix this, or do I have to make a bug report?

I am not sure, but reading the online help, it seems you need to have either .RGB or .RGBA at the end of the Layers' name.

From the help:

"When exporting to OpenEXR format, converts layers with affixes—e.g. .RGB or .RGBA after the layer's name—back to multi channel data."

In that case APhoto is creating one multi channel exr file with the respective layers included. That fits your example. Diffuse and Specular had RGB at the end. Those two are included in your exported exr.

I think this is generally new in Version 2. If I remember it correctly, Version 1 was not able to export multi channel exr's. The user had to export each layer individually. Good that you posted this question, I would have missed this welcome change in V2.

[EDIT]:

I am wrong regarding Version 1. Multichannel is possible there as well.

(Oh dear, I missed that totally - would have saved me some time in the past)