You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Store or Affinity store?

15 minutes ago, jos said:

I've chosen for the Affinity store.

It is always better to give money directly to the developers who developed the application and will continue to maintain and update it, than to pay some reseller who is only a parasite on the work of others.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Yes, always buy from the developer when possible. When you buy/subscribe from the app store then apple just gets a big chunk of the money. So any time there is an alternative to buy or subscribe outside the app store(s) avoid the "app store".

The only real exception is sometimes software vendors, especially with games, will sell a bunch of license keys to a reseller who discounts them or something.

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

Jos, like you I really just use Affinity Photo, but I bought all three of version 1 to provide income to the company (for further software development) and to just have fun investigating the other products—whether I really use them much or not. I bought the Universal license for version 2 for exactly the same reasons. I know the company has done some things that have made some people grumpy, but I am sure lessons will be learned and future decisions will be better. 

Forty years as an educator has taught me that most folk really want to do well but will perform less than desired at times, not due to malicious intent, but due to lack of experience with some feature of the project—a feature they may have not experienced before. Life is full of these bumps for both humans and companies. 

Life is best when we encourage and help one another to do our best! 

—Solly

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH

6 hours ago, jos said:

So it will be the Affinity store, seems the best choice. Now I only need to decide if it is the complete bundel or just Affinity Photo. I've never used the other two, but there is some curiosity and I might like to use these programs. No professional use, just for fun. 

What I found is:

1. If you're only going to use one app only on the iPad then just buy that one app.
  2. If you are only going to use one app, but need both tablet and desktop then buy the universal.
  3. If you're going to use two apps (or even all three) on the tablet, probably just buy those two (such as if you already use Adobe on desktop).
  4. If you don't have anything on desktop/laptop that you're paying for (like adobe subscription) then even with one app (like Photo) you probably want the universal because the price of one app on both tablet and desktop is very close to the universal and you're probably going to want one of the other two at some point even if you don't use them much.

Initially I was just going to buy Photo (primary) and Designer (secondary) on the iPad, then I realized I really needed Photo on desktop and might use publisher at some point. The cost of two iPad apps plus a desktop app is too close to the cost of the universal so I just got that.

💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻

Solly and Print Monkey, thanks for your kind answers. I like Affinity Photo very much so I will definitely buy that from the Affinity Store. And although I am not completely sure if buying all three is the best choice for me, for the price they offer it now, why not. Maybe I buy an iPad in the future, that makes the complete bundel very tempting.

BTW Solly,

what does JFSJ  and N3MKH mean?

Jos

On 11/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, jos said:

So it will be the Affinity store, seems the best choice. Now I only need to decide if it is the complete bundel or just Affinity Photo. I've never used the other two, but there is some curiosity and I might like to use these programs. No professional use, just for fun. 

I also think that it is better to buy the software from source - such support is more appreciated and the authors get better income because they do not pay intermediaries. Besides, although I mainly use Affinity Photo, I will not fail to enrich my projects using the other two applications. On the example of the last version of V1 - I often put the so-called "compound layers" (vector only) with Affinity Designer, and thanks to Affinity Publisher I insert tables into the same project - from the suite from Adobe I could dream about it.

I switched to Affinity, basically because Adobe revoked my license for CS6 Suite, and because I have poor English speaking skills (needed to deal with the complaint) - I have problems switching to a different language during the conversation than my native one. Besides, I believe Affinity has wider support, also through the forum.

It should also be taken into account that in Photo we do not have the possibility to create workspaces (I mean "Artboards"), hence the need to use a Designer - At first I didn't know that the functions between Affinity apps complement each other, but over time I started to regret that they didn't appear in one app and not three separate ones.

Unfortunately, the applications in version 2.0 are so buggy and slow that despite buying them, I decided to stay with version 1.0 (relatively stable).

Edited by yoroshi

9 hours ago, yoroshi said:

the applications in version 2.0 are so buggy and slow

As mentioned elsewhere, the change of applications to version 2 was not only cosmetic, i.e. some change of UI and addition of several functions, but also affected the core/engine itself, which will allow further development of applications. In that case, some "birth pains" can be expected, and hopefully they will be removed soon, including their optimization.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, yoroshi said:

Unfortunately, the applications in version 2.0 are so buggy and slow that despite buying them, I decided to stay with version 1.0 (relatively stable).

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to Designer and Publisher. Testing and discovering it now. You might call it playing and I think it's working fine. Doing of course a lot of unnecessary and stupid things, being surprised about the " results" but so far on my yellow iMac with 16gb no problems.  Just my experience so I was surprised to read your reaction. 

49 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

As mentioned elsewhere, the change of applications to version 2 was not only cosmetic, i.e. some change of UI and addition of several functions, but also affected the core/engine itself, which will allow further development of applications. In that case, some "birth pains" can be expected, and hopefully they will be removed soon, including their optimization.

So the good will get better  . . . 

Edited by jos
forget something

I'm mostly dealing with photos too, but even if you're not a huge vector artist creating elaborate artwork like the samples, Designer will come in handy. So far I've used it on my iPad to create some halloween signs and some "dont wake mom up" signs with simple warped text and stuff. And if I need to design a logo for some reason I'll have the proper tools.

I always try to keep at least one decent vector art app around even if it's just one app on the iPad.

So far I don't have much need for Publisher, but the universal license is worth it even if I only use Photo and Designer on both the ipad and laptop.