You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've tried removing the Ctrl+Y from the wireframe shortcut, and exporting and importing the saved preset, but no matter what I do the little triangle won't go and nothing happens. I can't get Ctrl+Y back as my Redo, very strange as to why they changed a universal command to one that I'll honestly never have any use for.

Has anyone had any luck while changing their command back?

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to in the first part of your post but to change the shortcut for Redo just go to Preferences > Shortcuts and then choose Edit from the second popup list on the page, right below the one that says Publisher. Once you've chose Edit you'll be able to change the shortcut for Redo in the list below. This is a Mac screenshot but it will look similar on Windows.

image.thumb.png.d3f117b4843697880e19227d10821dcc.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

3 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to in the first part of your post

In Designer 2, the function of Ctrl+Y (on Windows) has changed from Edit > Redo to View > View Mode > Wireframe > Last Used.

image.png.3f8cd9f676f44f1ae0adb01d6666636f.png

@Catrin: To restore the function of Ctrl+Y so it becomes Undo, you need to do two things:

1. Remove or change the shortcut currently assigned to View > View Mode > Wireframe > Last Used. You'll find this in Preferences, Shortcuts, here: 

image.png.bfb8b5892b6f64307b0b226bc49b1845.png and then scroll way down to:

image.png.e23fda4845ca2f308f8c85d1a1cda54d.png

2. Then you will be able to assign it to Edit > Undo.            

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Catrin said:

Thanks for getting back to me. Every time I've done this process the yellow triangle shows up by the View mode > wireframe > last used column and the command never changes. Really not sure why.

If you get the yellow triangle that should indicate that you're trying to change that shortcut, and you're trying to use something else that is already assigned. 

Have you tried just deleting that shortcut, by clicking on the x button?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome :) 

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...

Of all the non-sensical and regressive changes introduced in Version 2, this one is by far the most ridiculous. CTRL+Z and CTRL+Y are without a doubt the 2 most used keyboard shortcuts for any Windows user in literally EVERY application. Suddenly overriding one of these keyboard shortcuts so it instead toggles an obscure view function in your own software instead of the standard OS function that 99% of windows users expect it to do demonstrates an *ASTOUNDING* lack of UX insight and/or arrogance. Did you guys do any UX testing whatsoever for Windows users for Version 2? 

21 minutes ago, diopside said:

Of all the non-sensical and regressive changes introduced in Version 2, this one is by far the most ridiculous. CTRL+Z and CTRL+Y are without a doubt the 2 most used keyboard shortcuts for any Windows user in literally EVERY application. Suddenly overriding one of these keyboard shortcuts so it instead toggles an obscure view function in your own software instead of the standard OS function that 99% of windows users expect it to do demonstrates an *ASTOUNDING* lack of UX insight and/or arrogance. Did you guys do any UX testing whatsoever for Windows users for Version 2? 

While it is the Windows standard, it's not uncommon to use Ctrl+Y for something else. It's been a year since I used the Adobe suite on Windows but I recall that they used Ctrl+Y for other purposes in their apps, too. I googled it just now and found that InDesign uses Ctrl+Y to open the story editor and Photoshop uses Ctrl+Y for Proof Colours.

If you don't like it, you can change it with Preferences > Shortcuts. I don't like all of Serif's shortcut choices either and have heavily customized my shortcuts.

Now if we could just assign Ctrl+Y to Delete Line like back in the DOS days. Just kidding, I can't think of a use for deleting a line of text in Publisher.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Sure, its obviously a trivial change to revert - once I actually figured out what was going on. It took a good ten minutes for me to realize it wasn't just a weird bug and I was actually toggling some new view mode I had no idea about.

I do remember Adobe's Ctrl-Shift-Z quirk, but in over 2 decades of using various professional creative/engineering software i think that might be the only software package I can remember that eschews this standard. Even AutoCAD Civil3D (which is infamous for taking over your keyboard) leaves my precious Ctrl-Y alone.

But whether its "standard" or not is irrelevant. Its not that one way is "correct" and the other way is not, its just that the change was abrupt and not communicated. Imagine if Adobe suddenly changed the 'Redo' shortcut back to regular old 'Ctrl-Y' with their next update but didn't communicate it clearly to users before the change was made. There would be chaos. Their users have spent years using Ctrl-Shift-Z for 'Redo' to the point that it has become muscle memory, and now all the sudden it does something different.

Consistency and clarity is foundational to design. Thats the whole idea behind a design language, right? Suddenly breaking user expectations without any communication is poor design. 

1 hour ago, Twolane said:

If only Affinity would port their apps to DOS... 

Apple DOS ruled !

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2022 at 4:28 PM, walt.farrell said:

To restore the function of Ctrl+Y so it becomes Undo, you need to do two things:

Thanks so much for this Walt.farrell - a life-saver for me. I panicked when ctrl+Y 'wrecked' my design, and I tried all sorts of things. In all these attempts to retrieve things I must have done something else as my design became unworkable (though I got it out of wireframe somehow) and I've had to scrap it. Only then did I think to search on ctrl+Y and found your solution. I'd never come across wireframe before and I couldn't do anything but presume I ruined everything. I don't use Affinity Publisher that often, so I've changed redo to ctrl+Y (thanks to your clear explanation) and hopefully I won't repeat my calamity.