You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multi GPU Problems, crashing software, needed advices.

Ladmen

I have installed the newest drivers of gpu ( both integrated and Nividia - studio versions), I have choosen in Windows settings - Graphic Optios - to run the Affinity photo using the most powerfull gpu - in my case rtx3090. I have choosen in preferences of Affinity to use 3090 for rendering. Open CL acceleration on. And it seems like it still using my 2080s instead 3090 to do single gpu - when doing benchmarks often crashes, and always showin 2080 to do single gpu compilations.

I have still problems using acceleration - of course i want not to switch it off - it makes the software works much faster when is on for me. But it crashes from time to time. How to solve that ?

Additionally I wanted to ask about that, if I should keep my Intel integrated gpu in "on" ( UHD 630) - as I have read in your newses that you apply a lot of improvments to use it while working - or rather i should switch it off completely. Wanted to ask as well about if the extra option in board " Above 4g decoding" and " Resizable bar" in newest graphic cards can also made some extra problems to use the gpues. 

Please provide me some help. I tried all combinations so far and have problems all the time with Open Cl acceleration i need.

I ordered Affinity Photo V2 last Saturday and it crashes randomly (the app just shuts down without error message) and got worse and worse every day. Right now I cannot even finish a photo without crashing a couple times. Attached is a picture of the preferences settings, the rest of computer info is in my signature.

I posted it in  this thread, because I thought it is a very similar issue.

I didn't have any problems with V1.

AP-pref.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.4  |   Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (Studio Driver) | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/owlp

thanks for posting it, maybe this will made Affinity developers refine these issues quicker. And yes it is similar case. The problem will dissapear when you disable hardware acceleration, i was forced to do it temporairly, but it became to run much slower, so i am waiting for any solutions, instructions.

I did a reinstall of Affinity Photo and it seemed to help, at least so far. I will post, if the problem reoccurs.

Affinity Photo 2.0.4  |   Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (Studio Driver) | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/owlp

• Staff

Hi Ladmen,

Is the 2080 still installed in the machine along with the 3090? Or are you saying it still thinks the 2080 is installed, despite being replaced with the 3090?

I personally disabled my integrated card because I want to make sure my system ALWAYS used the dgpu (3080 in my case). 

Hi, yes. I have installed two external graphic cards. 3090 like a main ( 1 slot, initiating slot), and second like 2080s. I am taking some advantage of using both in blender ( not much tough  from 12 to 18 percent while rendering and view port - when the files do not need more then 8 gb of ram as 2080 has this limitation). In most softwares there is small advantage of usuing multiple gpus so i am keeping them in one system. But Affinity software recognise 2080 gpu like a main one while benchmarcking - i assume it aslo using it like a main one, while doing graphic callculation while using software. I have dissabled integrated gpu like you have recomended - i was wondering if there is some extra benefit from using it as you mentioned it in " what is new in version 2 section" on your offcial website. Eitherway there are still problems with using Open Cl in Affinity. Sometimes it works but mostly it crashes. The software works much faster with this option on, so i would really love to see it tweaked somehow to work properly. I am using bunch of other softwares and they don't have any problems with my 2 gpus on one system.

• Staff

Thanks for the update.

I was going to suggest there's only really a need for 2 separated dGPU's if you're using something like Blender and then you literally said it! 

Are you on Windows 10 or 11?

If on Windows 10, what does the Nvidia panel say is going on? Has it set the 3090 as default?

If on Windows 11, I believe the OS now manages the default GPU and there's no way to ask Nvidia panel to sort it (I've been battling with this on and off for a while).

Yes, but i am using blender and affinity, switching between constantly. Would be great if Affinity could at least give a choose which graphic card i can use - i tick option 3090, but seems not working. And in "what is new section on your website '' is written as well that currently affinity can handle multigpu. I am on windows 11. I am setted in nividia panel to use 3090 for all things as a main card. I also forced in windows/settings/graphic/application to run affinity software by 3090. Software recognize both, but like told, in benchmark taking 2080S like a first. And crashes - not everytime, without leftin any window, notes. I update all my drivers - made a clean installation with removing older drivers. I switch off intel gpu in mainboard. I have no idea what asle can i do. each time running affinity turning off 2080 in device manager ?

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Ladmen,

I did install a 2nd GPU into my personal computer but it was defaulting to the 3080 over the 2060. I also tried connecting an eGPU at work with my laptops 2060. The eGPU had an AMD card in it and the Benchmark was picking up the 2060 in the laptop.

I really am at a loss as to why it's preferring your 2080 over the 3090 - I don't know if it's the way they are seated on the motherboard or some BIOS setting? Though telling Windows to default to the 3090 should be enough as far as I know. 

Hi, Thank you for checking it, I am sure that i have set my 3090 card in bios as a first gpu, i also switched off intel integrated gpu off. I am pretty sure that in windows it is also 3090 as it is choosen in any other applications as a first one. But i have to say that the main issue here is not that it is taken the 2080 as a first card while benchmaring, but that it crash almost all the time while 2 gpu are switched on. Please try to work longer on two gpu on your pc and you will see that the software will randomly kick you up while doing simple operations with raw files ( in my case ARW files). It sudenly shut down the sotware and you have to restart all things again.

• Staff

We can focus on the crash - would you mind seeing if you get a crash report and then attach it? Then can be found in:

Press the Windows Key + R to launch the Run dialog and enter the relevant app path:

• %USERPROFILE%\.affinity\Photo\2.0\CrashReports\reports

• Staff

Blimey - thanks. I'll take a look through a few of these and see if we can connect the dots.

Any indication as to what you may be doing at the time the crash occurs with just the 3090. Perhaps there's a trigger such as a combination of clicks or zooming etc. I'll look through the reports and see what I can spot.

It depends - each time after installation new driver in normal way it crashes more often - when I run the software for example - it just kick mi off - straight away.  When I do clean instalation of the driver than it kick me off a bit later when - after I open larger documents - raw files. Or sometimes it kick me off when i just zoom, or add new adjustmant layer - at moment when I am trying to adjust it.

The worst thing is that recently even if i have 2080 switched off in device menager it still kick me off while using 3090 only. Before when I was using 3090 only was better. 

But thank you for checking it, please do it work :D

Cheers !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Not sure if this was solved, it seems the thread died. Just wanted to add my grain of salt here. I have an external graphic card, and it seems Affinity Photo 2 doesn't like it. All my drivers are up-to-date obviously. My symptoms are basically the app randomly quitting at any moment, while adding a mask, or create a new layer. When I disable the GPU acceleration, everything is fine.

My setup is: Razer Core X + NVIDIA 2070 SUPER

I had the exact same problem with the V1, was hoping V2 would solve it but I'll have to live with it a little bit longer.

Hi @Klooky

Disabling the hardware acceleration is the most tried and tested means. Due to the countless combinations of hardware, timing problems can arise, for example.
Of course, it is also possible that the integration of OpenCL is, let's say, suboptimal.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

yes, but if someone is using fast gpu like me, it is much faster to do a lot of opeartions on larger files with opencl on. If Affinity photo cannot deal with two gpu at once, should be possibility to choose only one gpu running the software without the crashing like it is now even if i choose my 3090 to do main jobs - a lot of other programm works like that it choosing only one better gpu and ignore others. Also really waiting for this update in affinity, unfortunatelly recently had buy supscription of photoshop again instead that I have all affinity sotwares bought, but in PS i don't have these kind of problems and can do digital painting -  this is a reall pity and still dissapointing that it doesn't work in AP. Looking forward in future when it will be tweaked to work fine I will be able to come back to affinity.

Just a note on my personal problem here, as it's a bit different than yours, Ladmen, my laptop graphic card is disabled all the time, so in theory I run on only one GPU.

My setup doesn't pose any problem in 3D modeling softwares, games, or anything else, except AP. I don't do anything heavy in AP so disabling the GPU is OK for me but a bit of a shame.

• 1 month later...

Just upgraded to to Photo 2.1., and am experiencing frequent random crashes when trying to use hardware acceleration with my rtx3060 12GB egpu. I was also getting this on Photo 2.0. I've had the the egpu for a couple of weeks and various other apps are working fine with it.

My dgpu is a rtx2060, if I switch to using that then Photo becomes far more stable.

UPDATE: In Photo 2.1 using the rtx2060 with hardware acceleration also causes crashes every time when using the Patch tool. Turning off hardware acceleration appears to prevent this crash.

Win 10 20H2, nvidia driver 531.79

Edited by athom
update crash info

• Staff

Hi athom,

Can you take a screenshot of your Settings > Performance dialog so that we can see how you have it configured?

We have an enclosure in the office so we can try and replicate your environment. Both cards should be absolutely fine with OpenCL enabled so I'm surprised you're seeing a crash. 

I have a 20 and 30 series card at home so I can try and reporduce the Patch Tool crash.