You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Infographics, Charts, Graphs

Hi, I'm an infographic designer who did this for years with the Illustrator/Indesign-combo. Please, please, please do something for graphs, infographics, piecharts for Affinity Designer/publisher. I know, there is a basic piechart-builder, but that only works with one segment and would only allow very simple graphics. I do work in magazine production and do infographics for print and web on a daily basis and always have to rely on illustrator's tools which are OK but always seem like they haven't been overhauled for decades. Of course this woul have to go along with data (csv) import and stuff but if done right, you could really reach a niche that doesn't get so much support despite infotainment being among the rising stars in media.
So pretty please, hear my prayers. In editorial design, having the ability to work in Publisher, jump into the designer-persona to create an infographic and jump back to publisher for the layout parts would be an amazing workflow. As copy-pasting contents between Illustrator and Indesign doesn't work so well, you still have to save Illustrator-files to then import them into Indesign. Its completely bonkers! I know this has been a request for many with V1, so I'm back to fight the fight! Infographics for everyone!

On 11/15/2022 at 2:23 PM, valcoholic said:

Hi, I'm an infographic designer who did this for years with the Illustrator/Indesign-combo. Please, please, please do something for graphs, infographics, piecharts for Affinity Designer/publisher. I know, there is a basic piechart-builder, but that only works with one segment and would only allow very simple graphics. I do work in magazine production and do infographics for print and web on a daily basis and always have to rely on illustrator's tools which are OK but always seem like they haven't been overhauled for decades. Of course this woul have to go along with data (csv) import and stuff but if done right, you could really reach a niche that doesn't get so much support despite infotainment being among the rising stars in media.
So pretty please, hear my prayers. In editorial design, having the ability to work in Publisher, jump into the designer-persona to create an infographic and jump back to publisher for the layout parts would be an amazing workflow. As copy-pasting contents between Illustrator and Indesign doesn't work so well, you still have to save Illustrator-files to then import them into Indesign. Its completely bonkers! I know this has been a request for many with V1, so I'm back to fight the fight! Infographics for everyone!

I wouldn't be too impatient for this feature. Serif didn't get this facility into PagePlus until version X8 (18). Mind you, footnotes and endnotes arrived in version X5 (15) so there may be hope yet. However, I think other features may take priority over the infographics feature. Having said that, it all depends on what will be seen as a necessity first.

Personally, I'd like to see cross-references and bibliography support as well as captions and table of figures to make it into Publisher first. Although implementing Infographics into Designer might be the way to go, then it might be accessible through Studio Link.

This is going to sound weird. And it's a lot of work, but the best environment, at the moment, for making dynamic infographics, is probably Unity's game engine's RectTransform and what's known as UGUI (Unity Graphical User Interface Elements System).

The RectTransform and the Canvases these are stored upon mean that there's an inherent child/parent dependency that's exploitable WITH constraints. 

Constraints, in this context, means relationships between positions of Canvases (which can be nested) and other interface elements. Due to the nature of game UIs needing charts and graphs for things like health and endurance statistics being presented dynamically and in game world space and HUD space and Screen Space, these features are vastly more powerful and related to one another than in other applications. 

If you're interested in this, avoid anything newer than Unity 2019.4LTS and DO NOT USE THEIR NEW RENDER PIPELINES!! 

You won't be able to render Vector outputs, but can scale bitmap outputs to huge sizes and do offline rendering to images, despite it being a realtime game engine.

The artfulness and dynamics you can add in a game engine are unlimited. It's vastly more powerful and capable than something like After Effects or Apple's Motion.

• 11 months later...