You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 is a downgrade

• Staff
On 11/18/2022 at 3:03 AM, carl123 said:

There's currently a bug on Windows where those two settings reset back to their defaults every time you restart the app.

Pretty sure it was reported in the bugs section so hopefully it will get logged soon, if it has not been logged already

Thanks @carl123. I'm not able to reproduce this here in build 2.0.0.1640. It does keep the User Interface's Text Contrast and UI Brightness (in Preferences) when i restart the app. Is anyone else able to reproduce this in this build (1640) on Windows?

11 minutes ago, deeds said:

Where is anyone telling others they have no right to post "their" (whatever that is supposed to mean!) opinions? 

11 hours ago, François R said:

Serif Software, why is it that you allow serious customers to be met by a handful of completely random people who obviously make it their hobby to answer every post in here, with no particular skills or customer focus, but instead answer in the worst and most childish fanboy style. It's bad for business. And deeply unprofessional.

It hardly gets more childish than the quoted. But someone will succeed.

11 hours ago, François R said:

It hardly gets more childish than the quoted.

Assuming you mean what I just quoted here, I would agree.  What you quoted in that post, is far from so.

Not sure if you have been around long enough to remember the original Print Shop when it came out - like for the Apple II series computers?

It provided a way to print greeting cards, banners, and other similar items, using a menu-driven design interface, on primarily dot matrix printers, at a low resolution, in some cases with the handful of colors that were offered on the ImageWriter II and the like.

Great program for a lot of people - created a lot of cards with that for people.

While it was hardly a professional page layout application, it could accomplish a small subset of what such an application could do, and was geared toward non-designers, allowing them to create custom printouts using commonly available equipment.  Very popular back in the day.  Some version of it or another is still being sold.

Not everyone who uses page layout software is working in a team to create multi-lingual scholarly technical manuals with newspaper-like spanned text headings.  Not everyone has the same requirements of their software.  To try to impose the idea that the software is useless to everyone because it doesn't meet your particular expectations of how it should work is completely invalid.  To treat someone as childish for expressing the fact that the software meets their needs is itself rather childish.

Can we move on?

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks @carl123. I'm not able to reproduce this here in build 2.0.0.1640. It does keep the User Interface's Text Contrast and UI Brightness (in Preferences) when i restart the app. Is anyone else able to reproduce this in this build (1640) on Windows?

This is where I first saw it reported

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, deeds said:

I note you've avoided quoting the quote to which @François R refers. Why was that, I wonder?

Why would I quote it?  It is easy enough to find by clicking the little arrow in the header of the quote box, and I wasn't responding to that quote directly.

If it makes you feel better:

12 hours ago, Seneca said:

Oh, it did take off in a big way, all right. It's just that you are too blind to see it.

That is the quote that was quoted by the post that I then quoted from, in a post which @deeds in turn quoted, in the post which I quoted here.

7 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Why would I quote it?  It is easy enough to find by clicking the little arrow in the header of the quote box, and I wasn't responding to that quote directly.

If it makes you feel better:

That is the quote that was quoted by the post that I then quoted from, in a post which @deeds in turn quoted, in the post which I quoted here.

So you weren't avoiding quoting it out of any concern that it might be an ableist slur?

Discussion of bug logging can get a bit heated if you let it. Consider the following:

@carl123 posted last Thursday:
"Pretty sure it was reported in the bugs section so hopefully it will get logged soon, if it has not been logged already"
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/172586-v2-is-a-downgrade/&do=findComment&comment=993819

@cgidesign posted two hours ago:
"I personally am already laughing when a moderator writes "we logged it with the developers". Without a roadmap this means nothing. I read it as "yes, it's a bug, yes it's a limitation, yes, it's a hindering the workflow ..., maybe we solve it, maybe not." V2 seems to be an indication that "we solve it not" is the more often used solution."
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/172586-v2-is-a-downgrade/&do=findComment&comment=998044

I wrote more than two years ago:
---------------------
To paraphrase Seinfeld:

You know how to log the issue. You just don't know how to fix the issue. And that's really the most important part of logging the issue. The fixing of the issue. Anybody can just log an issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAeUQrVw4c

---------------------

My sarcasm arose in a discussion of the white line that APhoto1 puts around image files at various zoom levels, a bug reported at least as early as 2018 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/59980-white-line-along-the-left-and-top-of-the-picture/

We were told the bug was "logged."

We were also told the white line around images is a known side effect of the way in which APhoto renders images.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/59980-white-line-along-the-left-and-top-of-the-picture/&do=findComment&comment=309363

I have not seen an explanation of why APhoto chooses to render images with a white line around them. I do know I have never seen such a white line in any image display and/or editing software that I've used over the past 30 years, including LView Pro that was published in 1993. I have to assume the algorithms for properly rendering images on screen are well known but for some reason not implemented in APhoto.

I recently reported that APhoto2 continues to exhibit the white line bug. 
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171168-white-line-on-edge-of-image-in-aphoto/

Then again, I've also been told by @Chris B
"We define a bug as something that isn't working the way the code intends it to."
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/171185-search-box-in-preferences-does-nothing/&do=findComment&comment=982783

So perhaps none of the things we report as bugs fit Affinity's definition of bugs.

Perhaps what we think are bugs are simply features that may or may not be altered in the future.

Affinity Photo 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

2 hours ago, deeds said:

Where is anyone telling others they have no right to post "their" (whatever that is supposed to mean!) opinions? 

This had been said, or strongly implied, in a number of posts. As I've said, there is nothing wrong with making complaints or offering constructive criticism, but everyone has a right to express "their" own views, not just those making negative comments! If some people wish to make positive comments, praising Affinity products or Serif, they have a perfect right to do so, without being dismissed or insulted in the ways I mentioned.

All I'm asking is that everyone is allowed to express "their" opinion honestly, without fear of being attacked for expressing a different view to that of the OP! These forums should be for open discussion by everyone, whatever their views (as long as they stick to the forum guidelines!)

For example, this thread is titled "V2 is a downgrade". I accept that this may be some people's honest opinion. However, I see no reason why I, or anyone else, should not be allowed to disagree and say that they think it is a valid upgrade from v1, well worth the upgrade price!

The idea of forums is to discuss things. Not just to make a statement, expecting people to agree with you, but dismissing any opposing views. It comes across very much as: "we are "experts" / "professionals" and are therefore right in our opinions; anyone who disagrees, doesn't know what they are talking about, doesn't understand, or are "fanboys", and should keep their opinions to themselves."

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

14 hours ago, François R said:

It's been a long time since I've heard a burnt-out customer, anywhere, deliver such a well-argued, balanced, tough critique and with no sign of hope. And it must give Serif food for thought. I hope it does. 

I personally don't know if I'll keep v2 of any of the programs. The upgrade of Designer and Publisher was far, far too little and too late. And I am in no way interested in unstable applications in my workflow.

I could conceivably continue with v1 of Designer for some tasks and ideas, but one of these days it will be obsolete. Time just moves fast in the software and operating system world.

Time to look for alternatives for Designer, just in case, I guess. Publisher never took off.

I beg to differ. I have built a sustainable small business using publisher.

After my husband died suddenly leaving me with four small children to support. I purchased all 3 Affinity apps during their sale for less than the price of 1 month of Adobe apps. 

I had little skill or experience having been mainly a housewife until this point. After a lot of "blood, sweat and tears" (and lots of cursey words) I learned all I could about the applications. Launched my business, and here I am a few years down the line. A small business owner able to support myself and children. 

Probably not a "professional" according to your standards, but certainly a professional to those I have been able to support. 

I will forever be grateful to Affinity for their generous affordability, and numerous tutorials available during what was a horrendous time. 

And also SERIF during all the hubub and negativity here at the minute, I hope this post will highlight the hope that was brought to one small family. 

Wise words my grandfather taught me- "A poor workman will always blame his tools."

• Staff
4 hours ago, deeds said:
16 hours ago, Seneca said:

Oh, it did take off in a big way, all right. It's just that you are too blind to see it.

Is this, or is this not, an ad hominem attack?

I think the second half of the sentence is, yes

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It's embarrassing to read these back and forths sometimes. I'm resistant to give constructive commentary positive or negative either way at times because I don't want to be associated with self-destructive/defensive behavior. I have a healthy block list full of legendaries for a reason. While I'm not going to remember why they're there, I know if they reappear later to not engage with them too much (for some reason). Sometimes I think some requests and commentary is silly, just given my own background with development, but I don't box people's ears out to make it known because at the end of the day they're a customer like me. I let staff filter out what is reasonable/unreasonable. Obviously if it's taking too long to polish/finish some feature or deal with a bug, that's a reasonable criticism. I may post sometimes what I think may be true as far as why something may be difficult to implement, or some problem they're having, but it's not like I have anything more than inkling to go by. So even if I were to get into the business of "defending" anything, how effective could that really be without insider knowledge? So it's really not worth my time to try to pick those battles.

You know you've hit a nerve when the reactions bubble out without real argument or facts. I simply don't understand why you people invest so much precious life time in these childish arguments in thread after thread. Yawn. Thank goodness I've been at work and creative all day until now. Next to cutting toenails, scanning these threads is the most boring way I've spent my time. But I did learn a new term: hopium. 

Speaking of life. Sincerely sorry for your loss @StillSneezy - but uplifting story from your life: I am glad that you have been able to establish a business with affordable products. And it was great that Serif did reach out to creatives in need. It just doesn't change my situation and needs, and they are fairly traditional. By the way, I have milked simple tools and products to the limit in my life, I know the whole portfolio of old sayings from mentors, by the way, I tried to live off open-source products early in my career, but I can't afford to waste time on workarounds and bugs. 

By the way, it's unbelievable how the name Adobe can come into any context even if you - e.g. I - haven't mentioned you use it. I judge Affinity by one criterion: can it deliver and can it deliver stably. I am a fan of results - not of brands and tribal wars.

And now I've wasted enough time on pointless debates on the internet. Only bug reports from here. Don't forget your toenails.

@StillSneezy I hope your children do well in life. I really do.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

13 hours ago, PaulEC said:

This had been said, or strongly implied, in a number of posts.

Where has it been said?

Not implied... that's subjective, and a minimisation of your original claim. If you can't provide examples ("in a number of posts"), can we presume you're wrong, exaggerating or otherwise manipulating/bending reality?

Quoting myself here:

21 hours ago, cgidesign said:

And maybe they sell to cheap to fund the ressources to become the "real new standard"

In an official post from Affinity I just read that they sold three times more updates than they expected. Maybe that gives them the funds to look into the issues carried over to V2.

47 minutes ago, cgidesign said:

Quoting myself here:

In an official post from Affinity I just read that they sold three times more updates than they expected. Maybe that gives them the funds to look into the issues carried over to V2.

In the current climate, human resources with an appropriate skill set may be more of an issue than the bank balance.

On 11/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, shushustorm said:

Hey everyone!
I'm sorry, but after having bought the universal license and done some testing, I deleted V2 Designer, Publisher and Photo from my iPad.
Publisher would have been great to work on files due to using Designer and Photo tools via Studio link (I'm not even doing layout stuff!) and I'd have used Designer for its export persona if I don't need editing the file later on or port .svg to V1 (quite limited, but with knife and shape builder in V2 at least somewhat interesting).
In its current state, however, the suite is a massive downgrade from V1 and even with the knife tool, shape builder and the quick menu being great tools that do work wonders on workflow efficiency, it's still much slower and quite risky to work with:
- No V1 file compatibility
- Online activation required
as well as the following issues:
- Only starts up to my files section if there are files already
- Can't double tap layers to expand and collapse
- Button lower left has to be disabled each time when opening a file
- Bars left and right show last icon only by scrolling even though there is room for displaying them (iPad mini 5)
- Frequent crashes (about 5-7 times per hour) by just using the knife, boolean operations or the shape builder
- Shape outline sporadically creating blobs at start of vertex loop when shape was created by shape builder
- Grouping layers (very basic) takes two taps instead of one, yet I got massive UI for sorting layers (probably rarely needed in general; personally, I never need it)
- Couldn't find vector warp on iPad
I can't remember alpha or beta testing any software that included such a number of huge workflow impairing issues that were regressions from a previous version. And this is a release. Frequent crashes and missing V1 compatibility are the worst ones.
Sad. Not going for a refund, though. Hope it gets better (worthwhile). You did a great job with V1 after all.
Not really going to discuss here any further. For the time being, I'll keep using V1 and be productive.
Best wishes,
Shu

I agree. V2 is missing the flow of V1. I’m only working with the iPad… so far I’m missing, add and Subtract and the grouping seems designed for a keyboard. Unless I click the control button it’s 4x slower than v1, too many extra clicks. 
I don’t like the new interface at all, it’s clumsy and the submenu with the nittons just adds to the confusion. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:17 PM, MEB said:

I have the same error on Windows 11.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Thanks @Tia Lapis. I've already reproduced the issue on my end. It only affects the Light UI interface which is probably what you are using. Can you confirm please? Thank you.

Checked it in both modes. Yes, only light UI mode doesn't retain the setting.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

• 2 weeks later...

I just wish the exporting LUTs with HSV adjustments was fixed in V2. The bug was acknowledged in a post I made ages ago,  and it was mentioned that it was logged and hopefully would be fixed soon .  Never did get fixed, and carried over to V2.  Hopefully the LUT exporting eventually gets spruced up. 😁

That sucks, I got excited when I saw v2 earlier today, then I realized it only supports Catalina and up on s, — which I'll never downgrade to, I'm staying in the older macOS 'till my Macs die — so that leaves me with Windows Server RDS which isn't great, then activation which I saw coming when v1 suddenly could connect to your account and now this.

I'm out.

Thanks for sharing, though. <3