You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 is a downgrade

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

They aren't. They are layer types and are rendered in medium grey (in V1 they were inside parenthesis after the layers name if there was one). In V2 they are removed when the layer is renamed and the layer's name becomes rendered in white.

Thanks. Subtleties :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, MEB said:

if you go to the app Preferences, User Interface section you will find a couple new options to fine tune the contrast: sliders for Text Contrast and UI Brightness. If you adjust these two you can mimic exactly the app's overall contrast in the old V1.

There's currently a bug on Windows where those two settings reset back to their defaults every time you restart the app.

Pretty sure it was reported in the bugs section so hopefully it will get logged soon, if it has not been logged already

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm kinda flummoxed with v2. While v1 had it's issues I felt it was generally well thought out, and going in the right direction. It wasn't my daily driver (I am still using Adobe), but I did use it as often as I could because I genuinely liked working with it. It was fun to use. That said, the endless workarounds after 7+ years were getting ridiculous and it was becoming harder and harder to justify investing the time in the Affinity suite. Enter v2.

I really, really wanted to like v2. REALLY. I was genuinely hoping that with this release I could see the end in sight for my Adobe subscription. Unfortunately, the more I use v2 both on macOS and iPad the more disappointed I'm becoming with it. There are so many BAD design decisions, things that are confusing, things that feel half-baked, and things that just don't work. Normally I would post issues to the forum and wait to see what happens (spoiler: nothing ever happens), but I'm at a bit of a loss as how to proceed.

I was hoping that with the BIG launch of v2 we might see a new, more communicative Serif—one that had fixed many of the long-standing issues with v1. One that had developed a solid foundation on which to build a truly outstanding suite of design applications. One that saw the release of v2 as a new beginning, and was willing and prepared to work with it's user base to "set a new standard in the world of creative software". Instead I'm finding the more I work with v2, the more unusable it becomes for me. It's no longer fun to use. There so many questionable design decisions, the iPad apps essentially now require a keyboard to use, and every few minutes I seem to be running into another bug. I could go back to v1, but v1 is now essentially on life support, so going back simply means going back to more endless workarounds and long-standing issues that already made it difficult to justify investing my time into the Affinity apps.

I want to go on the v2 journey, but sadly this 'BIG' release combined with Serif's consistently mute communications style has really eroded my confidence in Serif. So much so that I'm not sure I believe v2 will actually become useable, let alone something I actually want to use. I'm now left wondering if it's time to finally cut my loses and give up on the Affinity suite?

Probably…

@Bryan Rieger yes to everything you said, my friend.

I really, really wanted to like v2. REALLY.

There are so many BAD design decisions, things that are confusing, things that feel half-baked, and things that just don't work.

Normally I would post issues to the forum and wait to see what happens (spoiler: nothing ever happens), but I'm at a bit of a loss as how to proceed.

I was hoping that with the BIG launch of v2 we might see a new, more communicative Serif

There so many questionable design decisions

Serif's consistently mute communications style has really eroded my confidence in Serif.

ALL of this. 👆

1 hour ago, Bryan Rieger said:

I'm kinda flummoxed with v2. While v1 had it's issues I felt it was generally well thought out, and going in the right direction. It wasn't my daily driver (I am still using Adobe), but I did use it as often as I could because I genuinely liked working with it. It was fun to use. That said, the endless workarounds after 7+ years were getting ridiculous and it was becoming harder and harder to justify investing the time in the Affinity suite. Enter v2.

I really, really wanted to like v2. REALLY. I was genuinely hoping that with this release I could see the end in sight for my Adobe subscription. Unfortunately, the more I use v2 both on macOS and iPad the more disappointed I'm becoming with it. There are so many BAD design decisions, things that are confusing, things that feel half-baked, and things that just don't work. Normally I would post issues to the forum and wait to see what happens (spoiler: nothing ever happens), but I'm at a bit of a loss as how to proceed.

I was hoping that with the BIG launch of v2 we might see a new, more communicative Serif—one that had fixed many of the long-standing issues with v1. One that had developed a solid foundation on which to build a truly outstanding suite of design applications. One that saw the release of v2 as a new beginning, and was willing and prepared to work with it's user base to "set a new standard in the world of creative software". Instead I'm finding the more I work with v2, the more unusable it becomes for me. It's no longer fun to use. There so many questionable design decisions, the iPad apps essentially now require a keyboard to use, and every few minutes I seem to be running into another bug. I could go back to v1, but v1 is now essentially on life support, so going back simply means going back to more endless workarounds and long-standing issues that already made it difficult to justify investing my time into the Affinity apps.

I want to go on the v2 journey, but sadly this 'BIG' release combined with Serif's consistently mute communications style has really eroded my confidence in Serif. So much so that I'm not sure I believe v2 will actually become useable, let alone something I actually want to use. I'm now left wondering if it's time to finally cut my loses and give up on the Affinity suite?

Probably…

Bryan, I shared your post to another thread. (I don't know if it notified you) Keep them coming. I know the forum sometimes can be a bit like the ugly ducklings and frustrating for staff, but you're just trying to help and I think your feedback is valuable & helpful here.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

@Bryan Rieger & co., take a step back, relax, and use the tool that suits you best for your work, whichever brand it is. 
Then, when Affinity is at, say, v2.1 with some of the major issues hopefully fixed, check back and try again. You already have the license, right? It will be valid for quite some time to come.

Been there done that. Although an early adopter of each of the three, i.e. starting with ADe in 2014, I haven't used any of them for serious work until 2020. Not just because of missing features, but also because I was not ready yet to free myself from the Schmadobe Mindset Indoctrination™ of two decades. It takes time to change habits.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

43 minutes ago, loukash said:

@Bryan Rieger & co., take a step back, relax, and use the tool that suits you best for your work, whichever brand it is. 
Then, when Affinity is at, say, v2.1 with some of the major issues hopefully fixed, check back and try again. You already have the license, right? It will be valid for quite some time to come.

I've been using Adobe software for over 30 years now, and I know it and all it's warts well.

My point isn't that I don't want to use Adobe (or whatever brand/company's software), it's that I really liked using Affinity v1 software. It had some great ideas, incredible performance, and was an utter joy to use. Quite honestly, using v1 of the Affinity apps was probably the most fun I've had using any software application in years (probably since Freehand and Fireworks). I cannot currently say the same for v2, and I'm not confident enough with Serif to say that I ever will be able to.

Yes, I have my v2 license, and yes, I will take a step back and relax (I won't be posting anymore issues to or commenting on the forums).

12 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger is on a break said:

I've been using Adobe software for over 30 years now

And 20 years ago I already went through a major switch, after a decade with QXP (good riddance, ha!) and Freehand (:x:61_sob:)…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

23 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger is on a break said:

I really liked using Affinity v1

It hasn't gone away. It still works.
I'll also be using v1 on Mac because I'm not ready to fully switch to Catalina (or buy a new MacBook for that matter) for quite some time to come.
As you said:

29 minutes ago, Bryan Rieger is on a break said:

using v1 of the Affinity apps was probably the most fun I've had using any software application in years

For me it wasn't from the start, and I have other apps that are also fun to use (as a musician: Logic Pro, for example), but in its category, Affinity is on top.

4 hours ago, Bryan Rieger is on a break said:

Probably…

It's been a long time since I've heard a burnt-out customer, anywhere, deliver such a well-argued, balanced, tough critique and with no sign of hope. And it must give Serif food for thought. I hope it does. 

I personally don't know if I'll keep v2 of any of the programs. The upgrade of Designer and Publisher was far, far too little and too late. And I am in no way interested in unstable applications in my workflow.

I could conceivably continue with v1 of Designer for some tasks and ideas, but one of these days it will be obsolete. Time just moves fast in the software and operating system world.

Time to look for alternatives for Designer, just in case, I guess. Publisher never took off.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

17 minutes ago, François R said:

Publisher never took off.

Oh, it did take off in a big way, all right. It's just that you are too blind to see it.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

28 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Oh, it did take off in a big way, all right. It's just that you are too blind to see it.

🙄

Serif Software, why is it that you allow serious customers to be met by a handful of completely random people who obviously make it their hobby to answer every post in here, with no particular skills or customer focus, but instead answer in the worst and most childish fanboy style. It's bad for business. And deeply unprofessional.

It hardly gets more childish than the quoted. But someone will succeed.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

1 hour ago, François R said:

🙄

Serif Software, why is it that you allow serious customers to be met by a handful of completely random people who obviously make it their hobby to answer every post in here, with no particular skills or customer focus, but instead answer in the worst and most childish fanboy style. It's bad for business. And deeply unprofessional.

It hardly gets more childish than the quoted. But someone will succeed.

Some of them almost seem like bots, kind of like a research arm of those spam bots that do quotes of past forum posts and then link to something in the pretence that it's an answer, these look to be a support act designed to experiment - seeking words/terms/phrases that cause maximum response. 

Others are really odd "fanboys" with a penchant for being disagreeable and contrarian in favour and flavour. What's doubly odd is how many of them there are, and how consistent they are. It's as though it's coordinated groupthink, or a posse of like minded zealots that are trained. Never seen anything like it in such a concentrated manner, with such diverse characters/types doing it.

EDIT: ADDED: 

They'll often seemingly manage to lose arguments with the straw men they fabricate. Which is at least comical.  

47 minutes ago, François R said:

why is it that you allow serious customers to be met by a handful of completely random people who obviously make it their hobby to answer every post in here, with no particular skills or customer focus, but instead answer in the worst and most childish fanboy style. It's bad for business. And deeply unprofessional.

I thought that this forums was open to everyone, even to an unskilled person like me.

But it seems that my post has offended you deeply so I offer you my sincere apology.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people just want to try to find as many problems to complain about that they can. They’re not really interested in using Affinity software and discussing it in a rational way. If it’s so bad, I don’t get why they don’t just stop using it, rather than endless criticisms, and insulting anyone who disagrees with them.

I suspect the only thing that would make them happy would be to ban everyone from these forums who actually uses the software, likes it and dares to say so! Genuine, reasoned criticism is fine, but people with a different point of view should be allowed to express their views as well!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

29 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

some people just want to try to find as many problems to complain about that they can

That's a phenomenon you will likely find on many a public support forum. 

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people just want to try to find as many problems to complain about that they can.

What if, and hear me out here this is going to be a head scratcher, they're only complaining about the things they can be bothered getting around to writing about, and their lists of issues, problems, concerns, flow stoppers, annoyances and gripes about usage, capability, performance etc is vastly bigger?

What if, also, over many years, many of them had not only contributed insights into these things, they'd also taken time to ascertain idealised solutions and fixes, alleviations and work arounds, and then expressed them in these same forums, and been largely ignored.  Now imagine they'd also observed and seen many others doing the same, and having the same lack of results.

Seeing that that's possibly a thing that happened and is still happening? It may be that the things you're reading about in these forums are just the tip of the iceberg of sub-optimal, less than ideal, not good enough, incomplete, unfit for purpose etc etc...

I know it's hard to hold in memory things like this - across time, topics, varying fields of endeavours, multiple categories of software and utilisation etc. I don't expect you can do it, nor that you may even be able to observe these kinds of individual experiences, let alone observe patterns of them and within them.

However, I do expect that you can, at least, relate to the individual experiences expressed, here's how:

Presuming you're a designer, photographer or some other form of creative, try applying the criticality you use in your creative processes to the tools you use and their art - that of software design, implementation, distribution and promotion. Just for a different point of view, from time to time. Because, as Alan Kay has famously said, "a change in perspective is worth  80 IQ points".

And we could all use an extra 80 IQ points. Even you!

V1 was such a promise when released. It got better over the time. But it still has issues (not regrarding missing features but issues with, in my optinion, the base). All those issues got tested and reported by user in detail. It was explained what is wrong and why it matters. There was hope that Serif fixes those issues with V2.

Now on V2 trial the hardware acceleration got optimized. But that's it. All the other base issues are all still there in V2 - and there is no roadmap. No way to know if Serif has interest in fixing something or not.

I fear, Serif is now in "feature hell" - more, more, more features because maybe their managers think they need features, features, features on the launch page. So, new features are there - great. But on top of the old issues now there are new bugs and some new features are only half baked.

I think, a lot of users who send those detailed issue reports, did not do that because it's their hobby to complain in forums, but because they use the software for some reason and are happy to acts as "free of charge beta testers and suggestion makers". I think they are interested in Affinity becoming a "real new standard" (which, in my opinion V2 is not).

I personally am already laughing when a moderator writes "we logged it with the developers". Without a roadmap this means nothing. I read it as "yes, it's a bug, yes it's a limitation, yes, it's a hindering the workflow ..., maybe we solve it, maybe not." V2 seems to be an indication that "we solve it not" is the more often used solution.

I use V1 and like it. But investing more time in testing and bug reporting for V2 is not what I want to do, after learning that Serif likes to consume this free service of mine but does not give any feedback in form of a roadmap.

I thought the affinity solutions would become the suite to replace my Lego box of softwares (open source and commercial ones). But for me V2 indicates this is not likely to happen.

Maybe Serif is in a "jack of all trades but master of none" dilemma. And maybe they sell to cheap to fund the ressources to become the "real new standard".

My goodness... a battle between Adobe and Serif fanboys.

As  a long time Adobe user before Affinity v1 came along all I can say is that the functionality of Affinity apps, especially the basics such as blend ranges etc., suits my work.

I would never revert to Adobe apps again.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

2 hours ago, cgidesign said:

V1 was such a promise when released. It got better over the time. But it still has issues (not regrarding missing features but issues with, in my optinion, the base). All those issues got tested and reported by user in detail. It was explained what is wrong and why it matters. There was hope that Serif fixes those issues with V2.

Now on V2 trial the hardware acceleration got optimized. But that's it. All the other base issues are all still there in V2 - and there is no roadmap. No way to know if Serif has interest in fixing something or not.

I fear, Serif is now in "feature hell" - more, more, more features because maybe their managers think they need features, features, features on the launch page. So, new features are there - great. But on top of the old issues now there are new bugs and some new features are only half baked.

I think, a lot of users who send those detailed issue reports, did not do that because it's their hobby to complain in forums, but because they use the software for some reason and are happy to acts as "free of charge beta testers and suggestion makers". I think they are interested in Affinity becoming a "real new standard" (which, in my opinion V2 is not).

I personally am already laughing when a moderator writes "we logged it with the developers". Without a roadmap this means nothing. I read it as "yes, it's a bug, yes it's a limitation, yes, it's a hindering the workflow ..., maybe we solve it, maybe not." V2 seems to be an indication that "we solve it not" is the more often used solution.

I use V1 and like it. But investing more time in testing and bug reporting for V2 is not what I want to do, after learning that Serif likes to consume this free service of mine but does not give any feedback in form of a roadmap.

I thought the affinity solutions would become the suite to replace my Lego box of softwares (open source and commercial ones). But for me V2 indicates this is not likely to happen.

Maybe Serif is in a "jack of all trades but master of none" dilemma. And maybe they sell to cheap to fund the ressources to become the "real new standard".

Great points!!!

4 minutes ago, AiDon said:

My goodness... a battle between Adobe and Serif fanboys

Yeah, and before that Aldus PageMaker vs QuarkXPress, FreeHand vs Illustrator, QXP vs InDesign, etc. etc. :D 
As we all know, in many instances Adobe "won" only by buying and thus eventually destroying the competition. 

I don't have any problem with people raising genuine concerns, making complaints and so on. That's one of the reasons for having a forum.

What I do object to is the way that, increasingly often,  people who say that they like the software or praise anything about it or Serif, are dismissed out of hand as non-"professional" idiots who don't know what they are talking about, "fanboys" (whatever that is supposed to mean!), or simply being told that they have no right to post their opinions!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I don't have any problem with people raising genuine concerns, making complaints and so on. That's one of the reasons for having a forum.

What I do object to is the way that, increasingly often,  people who say that they like the software or praise anything about it or Serif, are dismissed out of hand as non-"professional" idiots who don't know what they are talking about, "fanboys" (whatever that is supposed to mean!), or simply being told that they have no right to post their opinions!

Where is anyone telling others they have no right to post "their" (whatever that is supposed to mean!) opinions?