You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 is a downgrade

On 22/11/2022 at 11:57, loukash said:

Sí, y antes de eso, Aldus PageMaker frente a QuarkXPress, FreeHand frente a Illustrator, QXP frente a InDesign, etc. etc. Como todos sabemos, en muchos casos, Adobe "ganó" solo comprando y, por lo tanto, acabando con la competencia.  :D 

exact. they need to be purchased by adobe. After all, the goal is to make money. and adobe will make them millionaires. but adobe won't pay until the software works well. With v2 affinity you will not be able to sell. They have to make everything work perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ultrainfra said:

the Affinity updates don't tell you what features are being fixed, added, etc. 

Huh?

Fixes & Improvements:

• New Document: Custom Document Preset order is not retained between app sessions
  • Placed documents with bleed fail to render the top and left side correctly
  • Lens Correction in Develop Persona has no effect on non-Raw files when a Lens Profile is applied
  • Quotes can be incorrectly put on newlines and cause text to render differently compared to V1
  • Can't place image when recording a macro in Photo V2
  • V2 opens raw files slower than V1
  • Running a V1 Macro that uses 'Add Image' (Place) crashes app - also applies to Batch Processing
  • Importing .JPG and .TIFF files with Keywords only displays the last keyword in the Metadata panel
  • Straightening in the Develop Persona offsets the image from the canvas entirely, until developed or crashes
  • Exclusion blend mode causing unexpected results on 16bit file layers with blown highlights
  • Transform Panel- Differences in panel size when switching between Curve strokes and expanded objects
  • Tone Mapping Preset options missing.
  • Blemish Tool failing after developing image.
  • Develop Persona 'Sync Before' no longer functions
  • Lens Correction Mis-Centered for Port

10 hours ago, Twolane said:

Huh?

Fixes & Improvements:

• New Document: Custom Document Preset order is not retained between app sessions
  • Placed documents with bleed fail to render the top and left side correctly
  • Lens Correction in Develop Persona has no effect on non-Raw files when a Lens Profile is applied
  • Quotes can be incorrectly put on newlines and cause text to render differently compared to V1
  • Can't place image when recording a macro in Photo V2
  • V2 opens raw files slower than V1
  • Running a V1 Macro that uses 'Add Image' (Place) crashes app - also applies to Batch Processing
  • Importing .JPG and .TIFF files with Keywords only displays the last keyword in the Metadata panel
  • Straightening in the Develop Persona offsets the image from the canvas entirely, until developed or crashes
  • Exclusion blend mode causing unexpected results on 16bit file layers with blown highlights
  • Transform Panel- Differences in panel size when switching between Curve strokes and expanded objects
  • Tone Mapping Preset options missing.
  • Blemish Tool failing after developing image.
  • Develop Persona 'Sync Before' no longer functions
  • Lens Correction Mis-Centered for Port

If I recall when the last update went out it doesn't display that information in the program itself. At least, it didn't for me. Unless it did and I forgot. My apologies

28 minutes ago, ultrainfra said:

If I recall when the last update went out it doesn't display that information in the program itself. At least, it didn't for me. Unless it did and I forgot. My apologies

It wasn’t obvious to me were to find the info initially.

There’s a New Features list for V2.0 at the bottom of each of the product pages on the Affinity website. E.g., Designer https://affinity.serif.com/designer/full-feature-list/

Fixes and improvements for update versions are posted in the News and Information forum. Here’s the 2.0.3 post:

I wish Serif had a web page that listed all version history, personally.

On 21/11/2022 at 22:07, Guest said:

He estado usando el software de Adobe durante más de 30 años, y lo conozco bien y todas sus verrugas.

Mi punto no es que no quiera usar Adobe (o el software de cualquier marca/compañía), es que realmente me gustó usar el software Affinity v1. Tenía algunas ideas geniales, un rendimiento increíble y fue un placer usarlo. Honestamente, usar la v1 de las aplicaciones de Affinity fue probablemente lo más divertido que he tenido usando cualquier aplicación de software en años (probablemente desde Freehand y Fireworks). Actualmente no puedo decir lo mismo de v2, y no estoy lo suficientemente seguro con Serif para decir que alguna vez podré hacerlo.

Sí, tengo mi licencia v2, y sí, daré un paso atrás y me relajaré (no publicaré más problemas ni comentaré en los foros).

The same thing happens to me V2 is not intuitive. For example, the export person will not be used. In V1 I use it perfectly. Another example is all the unnecessary information in the layers panel that makes you dizzy, in v1 the layers panel was perfect and very minimalist, don't make me think. Layer styles have disappeared, there are only a few. Double clicking on the magnifying zoom no longer puts it at 100%. Cannot be undone with Ctrl + Z as standard, 5 years using the shortcut and now you have to set it by hand. Modern interface? It's the same but more complicated and you have to do more steps. I am not commenting on the performance because now it is not usable as before with any equipment and it blocks as if the frames per second dropped, it slows down. Affinity, people who use Adobe and others are here because they want a "Don't make me think" interface. We can pay triple but keep it simple. At the moment I continue with V1.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:27 PM, oscarlosan said:

Double clicking on the magnifying zoom no longer puts it at 100%

You can go to the top menu View (Vista) then the second "customize tool bar" (personalizar barra de herrmientas), and after a second a big box of icons appears. Then drag and drop over the vertical toolbar the magnifying glass icon 🔍 , and the hand icon 🖐️ (and remove the "dual icon" if you want, to unclutter. By dragging that thing over the big box of icons), and of course then click on the top menu View, then the second "customize toolbar" to exit that mode (or you don't get rid of it, if not), and now you have a double click on the magnifying glass icon (lupa) producing a 100% zoom  , and a fit to window zoom by double clicking on the hand icon.

Layer styles have disappeared, there are only a few

Maybe it could be me, but I am seeing  the same layer effects ? Both in the Effects tab, and by clicking in the "FX" icon in the layers' panel. Not sure if you mean layer effects, though.

Cannot be undone with Ctrl + Z as standard, 5 years using the shortcut and now you have to set it by hand.

Sorry, what? This one really surprises me. I can totally use ctrl + z as normally in V2. Do you mean that you do hit ctrl + z and it does not undo whatever the action for you ?Have you redefined the shortcuts and maybe accidentally set  ctrl + z in some shortcut (where maybe  you wanted to set ctrl + d or something; saved without noticing) . As in that case it sets the shortcut for the new operation but erases it for the original function (in this case UNDO). You can fix it in Preferences/shortcuts, make sure it's set the fields "Photo" and menu  "edit" (Editar) and set back "ctrl+z" (without  the quotes) in UNDO (deshacer). If it's that, is very fast to fix. ctrl z works as expected in my side. Well , if I understood well your issue.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 12/30/2022 at 8:27 PM, oscarlosan said:

Layer styles have disappeared, there are only a few.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 1/1/2023 at 6:49, SrPx said:

Puedes ir al menú superior Vista  (Vista) luego a la segunda " barra de herramientas de personalización " (personalizar barra de herrmientas), y después de un segundo aparece un cuadro grande de iconos. Luego, arrastre y suelte sobre la barra de herramientas vertical el ícono de la lupa  🔍 y el ícono de la mano  🖐️ (y elimine el "icono doble" si lo desea, para despejar. Arrastrando esa cosa sobre el cuadro grande de íconos) y, por supuesto, luego haga clic en el menú superior Ver, luego en la segunda "barra de herramientas personalizada" para salir de ese modo (o no se deshace de él, si no), y ahora tiene un doble clic en el ícono de la lupa (lupa) produciendo un Zoom del 100 % y zoom de ajuste a la ventana haciendo doble clic en el icono de la mano.

Tal vez podría ser yo, pero estoy viendo los mismos efectos de capa. Tanto en la pestaña Efectos, como haciendo clic en el icono "FX" en el panel de capas. Sin embargo, no estoy seguro si te refieres a efectos de capa.

Lo siento, ¿qué? Este realmente me sorprende. Puedo usar totalmente ctrl + z como normalmente en V2. ¿Quiere decir que presiona ctrl + z y no deshace la acción para usted? ¿Ha redefinido los atajos y tal vez accidentalmente configuró ctrl + z en algún atajo (donde tal vez quería configurar ctrl + d o algo así; guardó sin darse cuenta). Como en ese caso, establece el atajo para la nueva operación pero lo borra para la función original (en este caso DESHACER). Puede arreglarlo en Preferencias/accesos directos, asegúrese de que esté configurado en los campos "Foto" y menú "editar" (Editar) y restablezca "ctrl+z" (sin las comillas) en DESHACER (deshacer). Si es eso, es muy rápido de arreglar. ctrl z funciona como se esperaba en mi lado. Bueno, si entendí bien tu problema.

sorry, I meant Ctrl + Y (redo). After 5 years, why do we have to configure it now? please leave that as it was.

3 minutes ago, oscarlosan said:

sorry, I meant Ctrl + Y (redo). After 5 years, why do we have to configure it now? please leave that as it was.

Ctrl+Y was needed for something else, and changing Redo to Ctrl+Shift+Z is more logical since it's more related to Ctrl+Z than Ctrl+Y is. But yes, it's a change that will surprise users, and is inconsistent with other applications and with V1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Ctrl+Y was needed for something else, and changing Redo to Ctrl+Shift+Z is more logical since it's more related to Ctrl+Z than Ctrl+Y is. But yes, it's a change that will surprise users, and is inconsistent with other applications and with V1.

Once again, Walt, you tell me something I didn't need to know until just yesterday, when I did a CTRL-Y. Then, well, you know what happened (or didn't happen). Now I know why. Thanks for documenting that tidbit of information. Redo as Ctrl+Shift+Z makes more sense to me, now, too.

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Se necesitaba Ctrl+Y para otra cosa, y cambiar Rehacer a Ctrl+Shift+Z es más lógico ya que está más relacionado con Ctrl+Z que con Ctrl+Y. Pero eso sí, es un cambio que sorprenderá a los usuarios, y es incoherente con otras aplicaciones y con la V1.

now I have to constantly be looking at the keyboard to press those 3 keys. Most of the applications I use work with Ctrl+Y. You needed adobeilustrators to feel at home.

It's been a while for me...  But ctrl + shift + z used to be redo, in Photoshop (edit: seems still it is). It became second nature to me at the job. And I guess to a lot of people. Many more Photoshop users than of any other graphic application, in the planet... One could say it's an industry standard now, the ctrl + shift +z. Many apps use ctrl + y, too. So, I guess both are (but PS and Illustrator have no competition in terms of user base size, to be honest).

I recon tho that only since recently (embarrassingly enough) is that I barely have to look that much to the keyboard for whatever.. never went to those typing classes/courses... I should  have.

Yeah, I don't  know, ctrl + y is used quite for preview in outlines-only, not only in Illustrator, but also other vector apps (Figma (With and Adobe XD, Sketch, InVision, it's one of the main tools for web/mobile/apps UI prototyping)  and other vector apps (some don't even exist anymore, though)). It'd be a problem to use redo with a shortcut when working with one app of the suite, then use another in other app. As then is  not a period of adaptation and that's it.. it'd then be constantly a total change of habit even every half hour. Or that's my take.

Ctrl Y -> outlines is second nature for many (in vectors the world and industry is ruled by Illustrator) while working with vectors, and ctrl + shift + z as redo is second nature as well for even more people (Photoshop). Tough decision. I use a tad of different 2D/3D apps per week, ones have ctrl + y, others ctrl shift z, and worse, others none of these, and can't get it configured in preferences. Thankfully, in Affinity you can (but I'm leaving ctrl shift z).

Ctrl + y (or whatever keys you set for that command) is super useful in Designer. It lets you see in outlines mode, but indeed, in the last mode you used. For some people, the most useful one is not the new current default one for outlines, but the "pure" old outlines one. If you are working in one mode, ctrl + y will get you that one, even if you restart. Super good feature (I know, this is praise for a feature, not the keyboard shortcut) . When in complex projects,  I don't know what I'd do without an outline mode (that's OT, sorry).

If I remember well, in Photoshop ctrl + y is for getting into proof mode for whatever the color profile assigned (I mention it as a curiosity, only). Somehow a view mode as well.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the interesting replies.
Just out of curiosity, about two months later, I recently gave the current version another try, and while some of the initially mentioned issues did improve, it's still quite a mess and some issues just seem so obvious, it's puzzling:
- It seems the button on lower left can't be disabled anymore, at all, blocking screen space real estate, while I'm not using it at all, making it even worse than before.
- There is a new feature, using a tool by swiping on an icon, yet I need to scroll on the tool bar to get to certain tools. How does that work out? Badly.
- 3D filter still only shows one light source when adding further ones.
- It's great that Designer now has Duplicate when touch & holding by accessing the quick menu, but getting rid of the small menu bar completely isn't optimal either, since when you only need copy or paste (or duplicate in Photo), you now have much more screen travel than before on a funcion that's used quite frequently, making it incredibly exhausting. I'd suggest reinstantiating the old menu, including duplicate for Designer and invoking the new one by other means (maybe touch & hold, then swipe up).

.... and I just tried for a couple of minutes. Still doesn't compare to V1, so in my case, it's no use to keep all V2 installations along V1 on a 64GB device. Maybe Designer 2 to port Knife and Shape Builder paths back to V1. Not that I could go V2 all-in anyway, given that it's not running on my macOS anymore.
I wanted to update my original post to reflect the current status, but there's no Edit button to be found. Also, I wanted to like a few more posts than I did, but apparently, I ran out of reactions (as you do).
Since I don't want to discuss a lot, but focus on reporting issues that are hopefully being fixed some day, I'm only replying to some statements here and in a short manner:
@fde101
I can restore apps and data from a backup any time by having a full device backup on my Mac. I can also delete and install individual apps, all offline. But I cannot restore IAPs, making me dependant on Serif's future (and / or future decisions and policies).
@MoonaticDestiny
Ah it's all well! They did include a number of features I supported, be it .jpg quality preview, saving workspaces, fixing quite a number of bugs. And even Vectornator managed to finally make layers not such a big mess it used to be! It's all good! I just posted this topic, since with V2, I'm essentially hitting a dead end. Just can't make use of it like V1.
@MEB
Thanks for forwarding!

1 hour ago, shushustorm said:

It seems the button on lower left can't be disabled anymore, at all, blocking screen space real estate, while I'm not using it at all, making it even worse than before.

In the document menu, you find “toggle command controller”.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, shushustorm said:

I wanted to update my original post to reflect the current status, but there's no Edit button to be found

There is an edit option always available, but it depends on browser, mobile or desktop, etc where this is shown.

either use the 3 dots menu shows in the title of every single post, or use “moderator actions” and select edit. I use this 100 times a day to remove typos and add corrections where i initially said something wrong, and found a better / more correct information later.

CD6EF16A-81DF-471F-B4C7-C754C00C2B4A.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

23 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

Don't know why, but my first post in this topic doesn't show the Edit button, neither by pressing the dots, nor within "Moderation Actions".

It may be old enough that you're no longer allowed to edit it. That's s spam prevention measure.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
25 minutes ago, loukash said:

I can still edit my very first post.

When you've made 500 posts you are (automatically) elevated to a group that allows a larger forum attachment limit. I made a decision that those people are unlikely to be spammers (or get cross and go back to trash all their old posts, as has been known) so that experienced group can edit any post they ever made with no time limit. The advantage is that I stopped getting personal requests to edit other forum users posts to correct information that had become out of date, (but in editing it did not make a mockery of subsequent historical replies)

tldr; forum moderation is a delicate balance and you cannot please everyone and have little to no spam

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
20 hours ago, shushustorm said:

I. Don't know why, but

Try now :)

20 hours ago, iuli said:

As far as I can see old posts can no longer be changed after a certain period (I think around two weeks).

It's 1 week currently for most members, as that is the average time a thread stays relevant and thus monitored for subsequent editting that introduces spam. It's not a science but that number has worked for us. (Also try now)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon