You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Allow non-destructive usage of Develop Persona (link/embed original) for non-raw (e.g. JPG) files

Currently, the Develop Persona only allows non-destructive editing for RAW files: You can choose to link or embed the RAW file and are able to change develop settings later, after the initial developing.

Using the Develop Persona with an opened JPG/PNG/HEIF or other non-raw image file does not give you the option, so clicking "Develop" will bake in all the changes and you won't be able to change the develop settings later. 

Of course, you can duplicate the pixel layer before, but then you will have to start over your edit all over.

It should be possible to offer the same link/embed options for all image files in the Develop Persona.

Yes it would be nice to use the "raw-develop module" in Publisher 2 on other that raw files.

The "raw-develop module" is so much better usability than applying multiple adjusting-layers,
to get to a somewhat similar result you get in the "raw-develop module".

i would also like to have the non-destructive raw-editing for normal pixel layer.

i'm working in most cases with scanned negative, renderings, pictures in all kinds of file types and so on. it's a lot easier to make adjustments in raw-editing, then layer-by-layer/ masks, like in the old days...
e.g. the only option to make a lens correction is in a.photo the develop persona. the live perspective filter is not the same and really hard to control.
in this version of a.photo is the only use for real raw-images and not for graphic editing in the whole spectrum.

also the possibility to save presets in all kinds of way makes it a lot easier.

i really hope, that's not what's affinitys intention is.

On 11/20/2022 at 4:33 AM, .kAt. said:

it's a lot easier to make adjustments in raw-editing,

But there are so few options available in the Develop Persona compared to the Photo Persona. You have no filters, no way of adding masks, no colour overlays etc.... You can work non destructively in the Photo Persona but using Adjustment Layers and Filter Layers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, .kAt. said:

e.g. the only option to make a lens correction is in a.photo the develop persona.

Just to clarify, there is a simplified Lens Correction filter in the Photo persona

Which could be useful in a Macro or batch job

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 11/22/2022 at 6:06 AM, carl123 said:

Just to clarify, there is a simplified Lens Correction filter in the Photo persona

Which could be useful in a Macro or batch job

sorry, this must be a misunderstanding. i'm talking about non-destructive workflow and lens correction like this

https://imgur.com/a/0aGDCIm

i can't understand the discussion about a features request, that opens a lot of possibilities for graphic editing. in photoshop it's a normal way of editing for a really long time.