You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac fork files listed in Templates panel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Aleksandar Kovač,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Unfortunately I'm not 100% certain what are you showing in your above screenshot - can you please expand on this for me?

What files do you have saved within this 'Templates' folder currently?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'm not 100% certain what are you showing in your above screenshot

These "._filename" files store MacOS file metadata if you copy Mac files or folders to non-Mac filesystems like ExFAT or NTFS. If you then mount an ExFAT volume on MacOS, they will be invisible by default because they begin with a dot. 

@Aleksandar Kovač is your Templates folder located on an external disk?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Apologies, I had missed the ._ file header in the screenshot - thanks for the clarification loukash :)

I have tried exporting an Affinity Template document directly to a USB drive using ExFAT, and I'm not seeing these files in the Template dialog as shown above, so we're going to need some more info from OP!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I must have messed up something when replying to this thread from my phone. The reply is not here, I'll try again, and sorry for delay.

No need to apologize @Dan C, I see that my post was too short and insufficient. @loukashis right. Templates are not locally stored. They are on a Samba NAS.

Expected behavior here is to follow system's convention or general user's preference. In this case, file manager (Finder) is not showing fork files, and I believe Template chooser should do the same. This is why I believe this might be a bug... or a papercut.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

• Staff

No problem at all -thanks for confirming that for me!

I've had a colleague create a folder and save .aftemplate files on their SMB NAS, where we're not currently able to replicate this issue, as the ._ metadata files are not showing for us currently.

Therefore we'd like to request a copy of your Templates folder to try and replicate this internally. Can you please upload a copy of this folder to the below link for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/cb2alxKXpBqYPyCrrW6f

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

@Dan C, files uploaded.

When I look at hidden files in template folder, I can see that only `Avery Zweckform 6115 CD label template` file has a ._ resource fork (are those called that?) and that one shows in template chooser whether Finder shows hidden files or not.

One case is not much of a study sample, right? Still, I hope it helps. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me! 

I've been able to reproduce this with your files on a USB drive set to EXfat, so I'm logging this as a bug with our developers now as these resource files should not be visible. 

Thanks for your report :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Template files saved on an external drive show the ._ resource files in the Template Dialog, usually hidden by macOS" (REF: AFB-6982) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.