You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Critical Error: Edit Affinity Photo 1 file with Photo 2 -> Save -> Not opening in 1

Hello People,

I think I found a critical Bug in the Photo 2 Application:
We are currently Testing Affinity Photo 2. Since BOTH 1 and 2 use the same file Format we assumed, that they are compatible with each other. That is sadly not the Case.

We have opened a afphoto file in Photo 2 and edit the HSL Color, what both 1 and 2 support, saved the file and tryed to Open it with Photo 1 expecting it to open just fine, because well NORMAL behavior. Nope We get the nice Error:

"The file includes features from a later version of Affinity."
affinityphoto1error.JPG.5e8b997592e9e309af5590a768b70d61.JPG

WHY is there NO WARNING in Photo 2 that the file will not be usable in Version 1 even if you don´t use any of the new Features?

This should NEVER ever happen. There should be either:
A: Totally new file format so that you can´t render Affinity 1 Files useless.
B: A Message in Affinity 2 when saving that says "This file includes features that are not compatible with Version 1. Do you wish to save under a new Name?" or maybe something similar (can be disabled in the options)
C-> Let Affinity 1 open that File and let it open what it can read with a Warning. I mean I can open a Photoshop psd file and have edit functions so why not the same?

Because FUN FACT, IF you copy the entire File (the Layers) in Affinity 2 and in Affinity 1 click on "New from Clipboard" ALL Layers will be copied and with full edit mode on them like they are on Affinity 2 even with the modified HSL Color. So there is clearly an Error here.

Hope that this bug / error will get fixed soon and this Topic will then be useless :) 

7 minutes ago, Garden-User said:

Since BOTH 1 and 2 use the same file Format

Not quite, they use the same file extension but the formats are not the same

Re your fun fact, try using something in V2 that doesn't exist in V1 eg a Live Mesh Warp, now copy that into V1 and see what doesn't happen. Now double click the filter layer and V1 will probably crash, it does here

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

28 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Not quite, they use the same file extension but the formats are not the same

Ok but it should not happen, that Affinity 1 refuses to open the same file but with the only difference that the HSL color is -10.4 and not -12. I mean yes there may be more differences but then Affinity should have a Checkbox like Photoshop that says "Basic Compatibility with preview Versions of Affinity". 

29 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Re your fun fact, try using something in V2 that doesn't exist in V1 eg a Live Mesh Warp, now copy that into V1 and see what doesn't happen. Now double click the filter layer and V1 will probably crash, it does here

This should also not happen, either it should not copy this filter or it should give you a Warning that you try to paste a non-compatible Filter. I simply mean, that the same Feature in Version 1 is the same in Version 2 and should work in both directions.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Garden-user,

I apologise for the delayed response to this thread.

I understand your frustration regarding this but we do warn users on opening a V1 file in V2 will render it in-editable in V1 once saved you can see a copy of this message below. This isn't a bug and is something that is very unlikely to change in the future.

Thanks
C

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 16.14.52.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

3 hours ago, Callum said:

I understand your frustration regarding this but we do warn users on opening a V1 file in V2 will render it in-editable in V1 once saved you can see a copy of this message below.

The warning was missing from the first Mac V2 versions but as of (I think) V2.0.3 it was added.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Callum said:

I understand your frustration regarding this but we do warn users on opening a V1 file in V2 will render it in-editable in V1 once saved you can see a copy of this message below.

The iPad apps don't have this warning yet. It would be nice if they did :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Since v1 and v2 are not intercompatible in any way, why not use a different file extension, or offer the ability to save in the older version of the file format?

I use Mac and PC, but I do not use the latest MacOS. I need 32-bit support, so I'm using Mojave forever, and v2 won't let me save files that I can open on my Macs in v1.

I definitely understand why there are incompatibilities due to new features and the like, but Adobe has an advantage here - every Adobe app I use allows me to save files in older versions of Adobe's file formats.

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10 · MacOS 10.14 · Arch Linux

1 minute ago, Vex said:

Since v1 and v2 are not intercompatible in any way, why not use a different file extension

That would require a lot of new extensions. For example, .afphoto2, .afdesigner2, .afpub2, .afstyles2, .afmacro2, .afmacros2, .afassets2, etc. 

They have at least provided a warning now to help avoid accidentally having a problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1