You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pantone color doesn't work

kefas

after opening the eps file in which the objects have a given color, in pantone Affinity misinterprets the color - no pantone color is assigned, but some CMYK - wrongly matched (in v1 (designer or publisher - after opening the file was converted to cmyk correctly (still no pantone values-but cmyk conversion was ok)

sample eps file attached ;-) (+ screens from illustrator, v1, v2)

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-15 o 10.39.50.png

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-15 o 10.39.43.png

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-15 o 10.35.03.png

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-15 o 10.34.58.png

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-15 o 10.34.51.png

Zrzut ekranu 2022-11-15 o 10.34.12.png

Logo Italian Embassy.eps

Hi @kefas

Adobe uses with the EPS format as with all other Adobe file formats a proprietary area in which among other things also the colour profile is stored. Third-party suppliers such as Serif cannot read this area. If you have access to Illustrator, try saving the file in svg format.

Can you tell witch pantone profile you used in Illustrator?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

6 hours ago, Komatös said:

Adobe uses with the EPS format as with all other Adobe file formats a proprietary area in which among other things also the colour profile is stored. Third-party suppliers such as Serif cannot read this area. If you have access to Illustrator, try saving the file in svg format.

Can you tell witch pantone profile you used in Illustrator?

While this is indeed the case, as @kefas mentions, the CMYK (or rather LAB) Pantone converted values that V2 uses differ wildly from those in V1 and are incorrect so something's not quite right here...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I use Coated Fogra 39 - but also doesn't work with us web coated swop v2. 

And like @Hangman said - on V1 conversion worked properly... so it's a bug in v2.

@Komatös - all worked properly on V1 (it doesn't shows Pantone color after opening eps but CMYK values was ok) and i use Pantone + Solid Coated (in Ai).

1 minute ago, StraightFromSpace said:

Well i opened this file in Adobe Illustrator and on my eye the V2 is closer to original than V1. And the CMYK value is same.

Very confused, I’m seeing the exact opposite, opening the eps in V2 the colours bear no resemblance to the LAB/CMYK Pantone conversions from the Illustrator file, opening in V1 they are a very close match…

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

If you look at the LAB values from the eps file shown in the Metadata they pretty much match the LAB values displayed in V1. Compare these to the LAB values shown when opening in V2 and they are way off.

For summary i will leave a note from me for Dev's from Affinity: 

Mac Mini M1: OS Monterey with External monitor Eizo CG2420 - Colors are good same as in illustrator and no change in CMYK values in app.

Macbook Pro: OS Catalina with build in Monitor: File looks like on screenshoots from @kefas with changed CMYK values in app.

It is quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi all,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm that colours in the Affinity apps can appear differently, depending on the Monitor Profile that is use, and the Colour Space/Profile used in the Affinity document itself, please see the following link for more information here - 

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

If you're having trouble that occurs with one specific monitor colour profile, please attach a copy of this profile here, so that we can investigate further :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

19 hours ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm that colours in the Affinity apps can appear differently, depending on the Monitor Profile that is use, and the Colour Space/Profile used in the Affinity document itself,

@Dan C, this makes no sense... I've simply opened the same eps file on the same single screen MacBook Pro in both V1 and V2 both using the exact same CMYK Colour Space/Profile and you can clearly see the huge difference in the Pantone translated CMYK values shown in V1 vs V2. This would indicate this particular issue has nothing to do with Monitor profiles...

Also note how in V2 the main colour component values default to 50 which looks a bug and seems too much of a coincidence...

• The main CMYK components of the Blue in the logo are Cyan and Magenta, note how in V2 both appear with a value of 50
  • The main CMYK components of the Green in the logo are Cyan and Yellow, note how in V2 both appear with a value of 50
  • The main CMYK components of the Red in the logo are Magenta and Yellow, note how in V2 both appear with a value of 50

Pantone 2748 C

V1 CMYK values C:100 M:90 Y:32 K:21
V2 CMYK values C:50 M:50 Y:32 K:21

1080429181_Pantone2748C.thumb.jpg.af34a8cc328758fc115fb0aa12e17963.jpg

Pantone 355 C

V1 CMYK values C:96 M:4 Y:100 K:0
V2 CMYK values C:50 M:4 Y:50 K:0

1740182110_Pantone355C.thumb.jpg.98da3b732178c8c03efdcca0a9c88d08.jpg

Pantone 485 C

V1 CMYK values C:1 M:95 Y:94 K:0
V2 CMYK values C:1 M:50 Y:50 K:0

654136055_Pantone485C.thumb.jpg.0544c86b43ff175a4c06304ae4243360.jpg

• Staff

Thanks Hangman, my apologies as I had opened this EPS file in both Affinity V1 & V2 on Windows, where the colours appeared the same - however opening this file in both versions of Designer on macOS shows the above issue.

Inspecting this particular EPS in a text editor, there is corrupted or missing data in the file header, which I believe to be the cause of this issue here.

I can see that V1 handles this corrupted data better, and I will be logging this as a bug with our developers, as V2 on Mac should not be different from Windows, or V1 for that matter.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C, SVG file? Do you mean EPS file of are you referring to a different file entirely, I'm slightly confused?

• Staff

Sorry, as you can imagine it's very busy at the moment and this is what happens when trying to do multiple things at once!
I definitely meant .EPS and I've updated the above post to suit :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

Apologies, I didn't mean that negatively and thanks for clarifying, I just wanted to make sure I'd not missed something here... 😵💫