You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default save as location

I understand this is not fixed in v2. Very disappointing. 

I had been assuming faults like this weren’t being fixed in v1 because they would be in v2. 

The problem is that ‘save as’ dialog should start with the directory of the current open file. Not the location of the last saved file. Many reasons are given in the previous discussion which is now archived (link below).

The main overarching one is that this is the way that all other apps work. So it is like a trap. It is contrary to the way everyone expects things to work. If you work on multiple projects and you have a well structured project folder system, the chances are that one folder for one project looks much like the folder for any other project. To spot you’re saving a file in the wrong place is virtually impossible.

The usability is horrendous. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/17825-default-location-for-save-as-and-export/page/1/

31 minutes ago, robinp said:

The problem is that ‘save as’ dialog should start with the directory of the current open file. Not the location of the last saved file. Many reasons are given in the previous discussion which is now archived (link below).

This may work for you & others but there are also many others who prefer the last saved file location.

I am all for user choice so a preference to decide & set would be the best option, if this current behaviour is changed and made default it would break the workflow of many users

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, my anxiety spikes every time I look at this forum, and I've been here a lot since V2 launched. Between the lack of an upgrade discount (which I do not care about but others clearly do) to the buggy "features" (which everyone cares about), I hope the devs are of stronger minds/constitution than me.

I am here to basically second this thread, and to add to it.  Hopefully this is the right place to do this.

With the cohesive integration of the three apps as well as the iPad and desktop versions, we need much better default file locations options.

I am now saving my project files to iCloud so I can access them on both iPad and pc.

Since I have hundreds of projects saved, I am exporting final images to a separate folder, just for basic organization.

At a minimum, I kind of expect default options for saving/opening project files and a default folder for exporting images.

For reference, below (or attached) is the "Preferences: Directories" page from Audacity, a free program.

Audacity.jpg.02d38e6eee60238b07fb1bef3883e003.jpg

Again, though, let me emphasize that Affinity has a great suite of programs that almost single-handedly keeps me from giving my hard-earned money to those f**kers at Adobe.

Sincerely:  Thank you all for your ongoing and continued efforts.

Edited by Ian92.art

On 11/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, Murfee said:

This may work for you & others but there are also many others who prefer the last saved file location.

I am all for user choice so a preference to decide & set would be the best option, if this current behaviour is changed and made default it would break the workflow of many users

Of course I have no problem with a choice being offered. Especially given this atypical behaviour has been happening now since the start of the Affinity apps, presumably it would be irksome to some people. 

But to ignore platform norms is unacceptable. 

22 hours ago, Ian92.art said:

I have to say, my anxiety spikes every time I look at this forum, and I've been here a lot since V2 launched. Between the lack of an upgrade discount (which I do not care about but others clearly do) to the buggy "features" (which everyone cares about), I hope the devs are of stronger minds/constitution than me.

I am here to basically second this thread, and to add to it.  Hopefully this is the right place to do this.

With the cohesive integration of the three apps as well as the iPad and desktop versions, we need much better default file locations options.

I am now saving my project files to iCloud so I can access them on both iPad and pc.

Since I have hundreds of projects saved, I am exporting final images to a separate folder, just for basic organization.

At a minimum, I kind of expect default options for saving/opening project files and a default folder for exporting images.

For reference, below (or attached) is the "Preferences: Directories" page from Audacity, a free program.

Audacity.jpg.02d38e6eee60238b07fb1bef3883e003.jpg

Again, though, let me emphasize that Affinity has a great suite of programs that almost single-handedly keeps me from giving my hard-earned money to those f**kers at Adobe.

Sincerely:  Thank you all for your ongoing and continued efforts.

Personally, I strongly think that the default behaviour for save as should be to save in the same location as the current file. 

If you’re working on a project, the vast majority of times you want to do a save as operation it would be in the same folder or a folder that’s close to in the folder tree hierarchy. 

That you might have been messing around with some random other file earlier in the day and that location would be the default save location makes no sense at all. 

However, I agree that having some kind of ability to override the default is reasonable. Just perhaps the overrides should be a bit less specific. 

• 2 months later...

Supporting the idea that the save/export should go to the same as the current file location and not the last saved file. I work across multiple projects and jump between them all as feedback comes in for amends. All the folders use numbers for referencing against job sheets etc and it's proving to be a pretty time consuming to hunt out the right folder within subfolders with other names. Would make workflow a lot lot easier for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely -- causes me pain if working on multiple projects.  
A choice on export to say 'save in same location as source'  or 'save same as last time'  would be really helpful.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

Came here looking to see if I missed something, as it's killing me to have to save everything to the desktop to move it to where I need it to be. Looks like it wasn't any kind of dumbness on my part... Hope it gets fixed soon! As an educator I get all of the Adobe products for free, yet I've been here since the beta apps (didn't have access to Adobe apps at the time) and I've stayed. But this 'little' thing is killing me and my workflow. I think it's important that there's competition - please don't drive me back!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all the above. This year I started working with V2 much more and continue to find more shortcomings with the desktop app (Nikon RAW conversion problems, no floating palettes, etc. plus the above concerning file management.

Guess ”you get what you pay for”. Disappointed.