You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Name Displaying in Chinese in Properties Box

When I selected a font from the list of fonts they appeared in English.  Once the font was chosen the title of font (in the font properties box) appeared in Chinese characters.  The text that I typed on the canvas displayed as I wanted.  The application functioned in English, and all the help text appeared in English.  This problem persisted in both Affinity Photo 2 and Affinity Designer 2 on my iPad.  I deleted Affinity Designer from my iPad and saw the problem continue in Affinity Photo.  I reinstalled Affinity Designer and the problem was resolved.  The purchased Brushes and Assets were automatically there as well as the custom Assets that I had created.  The issue of the Chinese font name persisted in Affinity Photo.  I deleted Affinity Photo and then reinstalled.  Problem has been resolved.  

A possible related bug is that some font choices have a "?" in front of the name and appear in red.  (see attachment).  

All of these fonts work fine in Affinity Designer 1.10.5 and Affinity Photo 1.10.5

AffinityDesignerBug.jpeg

Seems to be related  to all fonts  installed in affinity designer 1 - choosing one of these switches all the font descriptors to Chinese apple or otherwise, I uninstalled all the fonts in designer 1 (note designer 2 shows no fonts installed ) and reinstalled them via designer 2 seem to have cured the problem. The red font is because designer cant find the font possibly deleting the original designer 1 might remove its installed fonts as well? 

5 minutes ago, Philf said:

Seems to be related  to all fonts  installed in affinity designer 1 - choosing one of these switches all the font descriptors to Chinese apple or otherwise, I uninstalled all the fonts in designer 1 (note designer 2 shows no fonts installed ) and reinstalled them via designer 2 seem to have cured the problem. The red font is because designer cant find the font possibly deleting the original designer 1 might remove its installed fonts as well? 

No, it’s also happening with system fonts, as in fonts that are on the iPad when new. Also, the majority of ‘user installed’ fonts are installed outside of Designer using a font installation app.

6 hours ago, EducationPrinciples said:

I now have Designer 2.0.2.2 and the issue of Chinese still appears when looking at the font selector box. 

7F8D89B9-59DE-46AB-A600-AC6A558D0A0A.jpeg

I’ve managed to sort the issue here. I totally uninstalled D2, removed a font installer app called fontcase, because it’s not working with iPadOS 16 anyway and I figured that could have been causing a conflict. I then reinstalled D2 and added all my fonts directly into D2.

I’ve not had a problem since.

Was about to post the same... fonts are displayed in Chinese and behave different in different dialogues. Hope this will be fixed soon.

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue on Affinity Designer 2.0.2.2 on iPadOS 16.2 on iPad Pro 12.9 6th gen with M2 chip.

I have some Creative Cloud fonts and other open source fonts using iFont on my iPad. It looks very random and all types of fonts, including system, Creative Cloud, and iFont-installed fonts, show in Chinese characters.

This does not happen on Affinity Designer 1.10.7 on iPadOS 16.2.

Thank you for all your work and hope this will be fixed soon!

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iPad] Fonts installed from creative cloud show on context toolbar with name in Chinese " (REF: AFD-6170) has been improved by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1736".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.