You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to use beta after app store version updates

Hello,

Now that the app store version has updated itself, the beta will no longer run, claiming that I do not have a purchased version of AD.

I realize that they are effectively the same at this point so it doesn't matter, but it would be convenient if the beta still worked, as otherwise every time the app store version catches up to the beta, one needs to change file associations, import custom brushes etc, and the app store version doesn't maintain the same "recent files" list.

Cheers,

Oliver.

Now that the app store version has updated itself, the beta will no longer run, claiming that I do not have a purchased version of AD.

The same thing happened here but with AP.

MelG

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you. - Oscar Wilde

As olibclarke said:

[...] every time the app store version catches up to the beta, one needs to change file associations, import custom brushes etc, and the app store version doesn't maintain the same "recent files" list.

maybe a point, after all.

Also just to add that the beta and MAS versions of are separate applications as far as the the OS is concerned.  You can't expect them to share the same recent files.  I personally think the approach of the developers to expire the beta version is the right approach.  You don't want the beta which is essentially the same version as the MAS version to interfere and cause issues.  I personally remove the beta version from my MBP before upgrading to the newly release MAS version.

There has also been a suggestion in the forum about a common filesystem area for storing custom brushes, styles etc for both Designer and Photo to mitigate having to re-import them after upgrades/installing beta versions.  I think it's a good idea though it can also be problematic if not managed effectively. I am sure the developers have noticed this suggestion and will work on if it fits their vision for the application.

The Affinity developers are really doing a great job and we all need to give them constructive feedback to urge them to make the Serif Affinity products even more awesome :)

@MattP, @Nana, @Leigh: Yes, I know the beta has expired and is the same as the app store version, and I wouldn't expect the app store version to maintain the same set of recent files; It would just be helpful if the beta did not expire, as I have all my afdesign, svg files etc associated with the beta as the default application, which means when the beta expires, all those associations need to change temporarily (because of course I am going to switch back to the beta as soon as one is released, I want all the latest and greatest features!). As I said, it's a minor issue, and the devs are doing a fantastic job - just not sure I see the rationale for expiring the beta... if it is the same as the app store version, why not let users use either?

Cheers,

Oliver

Hi olibclarke. The betas validate themselves to make sure they're being used legitimately by those that have bought or been gifted a Mac App Store release. They do this by checking for an appropriate Mac App Store version. When you update to a Mac App Store version that is newer than the last beta, the beta cannot properly validate itself; we don't flick a switch and turn the beta off for everyone, it just becomes obsolete by design. To change this would have consequences above and beyond needing a different method of validation.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Fair enough, makes sense, thanks for the explanation Dale! Looking forward to seeing what goodies are in the next beta! :)

Oliver.

Me too Oliver, the team most certainly have some magic up their sleeves.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

I've seen this topic repeatedly appear. Why not add a line to the error-window that explains that if they've updated to the latest MAS version it makes any older betas obsolete? That way they don't have to ask on the forums why the beta is "invalid" suddenly. :p I've never seen the message so maybe it already explains that. But we sure see this topic a lot...

I've seen this topic repeatedly appear. Why not add a line to the error-window that explains that if they've updated to the latest MAS version it makes any older betas obsolete? That way they don't have to ask on the forums why the beta is "invalid" suddenly. :P I've never seen the message so maybe it already explains that. But we sure see this topic a lot...

And maybe add "Open Affinity Designer" or "Open Affinity Photo" button on it? That would be nice.

I personally dislike this behavior, because my .afdesing and .afphoto files are associated with beta versions. So I can't use doubleclick from Finder to open these files. But it's a minor issue.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

And maybe add "Open Affinity Designer" or "Open Affinity Photo" button on it? That would be nice.

I personally dislike this behavior, because my .afdesing and .afphoto files are associated with beta versions. So I can't use doubleclick from Finder to open these files. But it's a minor issue.

Also, the preferences from beta versions (which I use primarily) are lost. Which is rather a bit annoying...

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Also, the preferences from beta versions (which I use primarily) are lost. Which is rather a bit annoying...

It's more than just the preferences. All of my presets disappeared after I switched from Beta 1.4.1 to MAS 1.4.1. It took quite awhile to restore them and I don't have that many of them yet. It will be interesting to see if the next Beta will pick up the pref/presets from the current MAS. If not, it's going to be incredibly tedious updating these things with every iteration of the program. I'd like to know if there's any way to avoid this. 

• Staff

It's more than just the preferences. All of my presets disappeared after I switched from Beta 1.4.1 to MAS 1.4.1. It took quite awhile to restore them and I don't have that many of them yet. It will be interesting to see if the next Beta will pick up the pref/presets from the current MAS. If not, it's going to be incredibly tedious updating these things with every iteration of the program. I'd like to know if there's any way to avoid this. 

It's only possible to back up settings such as Styles, Brushes and Keyboard shortcuts at the moment. The ability to save preferences & workspace settings have been requested before and I'm sure it will be added in the future.

Leigh

It's only possible to back up settings such as Styles, Brushes and Keyboard shortcuts at the moment. The ability to save preferences & workspace settings have been requested before and I'm sure it will be added in the future.

Leigh

This would be quite a hassle - back up all and then restore for just a few weeks before another beta is released.

I don't think it's necessary to disable access to latest beta in the first place...

Leigh, you say there's no reason to run the latest beta, but I'm convinced (for the sake of beta users' good experience), it should be available regardless of MAS version has been released.

Leigh

Honestly, I think this feature is kind of essential and should be given more urgency. Are we really going to be expected to reinvent the wheel with every new MAS and every new Beta?

At least the brushes and styles can be exported and imported, although I agree with Lojza that it would be a hassle having to do this with every iteration. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any way at all to export and import presets -- at least none that I have found so far. I have several presets in Developer Persona for tweaking my RAW files and several in Export Persona for saving PNG and JPG files in various formats. Am I really going to have to re-do all of these with every new update?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.