You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Has Geometry Add Changed or Broke in ADv2?

With version 1 of Designer for Mac, I would draw a number of outlines using the pen tool, and at the end, do a Geometry Add to make it all one object to act as a clipping mask.

With version two, doing the same thing, one of the curves will just disappear, or both will if they're both new curves.

I tried separating a compound curve and then add them all together again, but then the overlap of the new curve knocks out the other curves.

This seems really completely broken to me. Currently, I'm just not joining them and am using each curve as its own mask.

Thanks for any help or explanation.

Added video. Clearly, it's broken.

I am getting similar results if neither of the two curves have a fill color & if they are not both closed curves. If either one or both are filled with any color or if both are closed, it works as expected (like in V1).

This should be reported as a bug I think....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I am getting similar results if neither of the two curves have a fill color & if they are not both closed curves. If either one or both are filled with any color or if both are closed, it works as expected (like in V1).

This should be reported as a bug I think....

Oh, I see that Auto-Close was not something that was in v1, but if I set it, it does as you say, which is work as expected.

Now I hope the Auto-Close is a setting that remembers how you last set it, unlike Sculpt mode, which never remembers, which is a pain because we always use it in Sculpt mode.

But then what does Auto-Close with Sculpt mode mean? Well, it appears to mean the line will close itself when you first stop, but then you can start drawing again like usual from your last point, but that then makes the line open again while Auto-Close is still on, which brings back the problem of the line disappearing you try to Geometry Add it. Even if you toggle Auto-Close on & off, it still remains open and disappears when you add it.

I was so hopeful for a few seconds.

Back to version 1!

• 2 months later...