You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plugins with V2

Can you give us screenshots of the Plugins settings in Performance, and of the application window (and Filter Plugins dropdown) and Layers panel when you're trying to use them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Unfortunately not because in frustration I have removed the plugins and had to start using them as standalones which is far from ideal.

When I started with V1 the plugins were detected immediately and loaded without any problems.

This is just one of the issues I am experiencing with V2 which is making me rather unhappy when V1 worked "straight from the box" whereas V2 isn't doing it for me.

I'm not a computer expert, am 82 years old, and just hoped the new version would work in a straight forward way as did V1 without requiring me to delve into the innards of the computer!

First, a suggestion: it's better to ask Windows to take a screenshot, instead of using a camera to capture one.

Next, in your last screenshot, you do not seem to have a document open. It would help to have a document open, and to have the Layers panel visible so we can see what layer you're working on.

But if you're getting as far as the plug-in starting, and crashing, I have no idea about that. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks.

You are dealing with an 82 year old non-computer expert who gets by with understanding just what he needs to get by with.

I would be on the background layer with a copy to preserve the original so there would be no layer stack to view.

As I mention DXO just doesnt respond whereas Topaz tries, brings up the flag that there is an error in opning plugins, goes to the Topaz flag about invoking a Topaz and the Affinity just closes down.

I am really just so frustrated that I'm likely to go to Photoshop (I have a basic understanding of LR and PS) and swallow the payment if this, and another item fundamental to how I work cannot get sorted soon.  I'v been with Serif from before Affinity but this mess of V2, I cannot describe it as anything else, is destoying thier reputation with me.  I used Publisher and Photo from their inception to edit and lay-out several books and edit a couple of journals but V2 is, as I say, a mess.

Off the soap box, thank you for trying to help.

OK this is not just a version 2 of Affinity, I am still version 1.

You ask on Topaz forum and it's an Affinity problem, then it's what is your comp specs etc etc

Personally I think the problem lies at Topaz doorstep (maybe wrong but!), they released a program that was not ready and placed there problems in the laps of the users.

I have tried Topaz Photo AI but it just does not come up to par with there previous stand alone products as can be seen by my screen grab.

Russ.

Screenshot_20221115_085539.png

5 minutes ago, Russ W said:

I have tried Topaz Photo AI

Hi Russ,

that is a problem with the latest version of Topaz Photo AI (1.0.9), it just crashes. Topaz Photo AI version 1.0.8 worked without problems as a plugin in Affinity Photo.

The latest version does not only crash in Affinity Photo but also in Photoshop for some users. Here is the thread in their forum.

You may try to install the previous version which you can still download at the Topaz forum.

Cheers,
Andreas

6 hours ago, HFNotts said:

DXO stuff just doesn't open at all.

Topaz tries and I get a message that eror with plugins and then tries to open but crashes Affinity 2

Hi,

I also experienced some crashing or „just not working“ plugins with Affinity. Some of these problems were related to „wrong“ versions of plugin files lurking in the plugin folder. Because of that I developed a habit to not rely on the central plugin folder but specify the plugin path explicitly for each of the „problematic“ plugins (see screenshot). 

image.png.63413fae22bd5304bbfbef8e3013db9c.png

As far as plugins „just doing nothing“ are concerned:

I am having this problem with ON1 plugins (in Affinity Photo 1 and 2 as well). When I select on of these from the menu, they just don't do anything.

My workaround in that case is to start the standalone version of the program (ON1 Effects for example) besides Affinity Photo so that the main program is just running. Then I switch back to Affinity Photo while ON1 Effects is running in the background and I can successfully launch the ON1 Effects plugin from Affinity and everything is working as expected. I never found the reason for this though...

The Nik Collection (DxO) also comes with standalone versions, so you could give it a try and see if that works for you.

For me all Nik Collection plugins do work without problems in Affinity Photo v1 and v2, and I don't need to use the mentioned workaround for these.

Cheers,
Andreas

Maybe this will help you. Affinity Photo V2 / Win 10

I installed DXO Nik Filter as Standalone on Drive C. 

Path: C/Programme(German)/DxO25

Inside DxO25 are the subfolders, i.E. Dfine-Color Efex.....

Launch Affinity, open Preferences/Photoshop Plugins and choose Add.

Go to DxO subfolders, select one and choose "select folder". Repeat this steps for each subfolder.

When done, close and restart Affinity.

Hope this will work for you too.

On 11/16/2022 at 5:21 AM, RichardMH said:

I run Topaz denoise and sharpen OK. But current version of Photo AI won't run. 

Current version 1.0.9 of Topaz Photo AI is working quite OK here as plugin with Affinity Photo V2

Affinity with Topaz Photo AI.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

I am also having these problems with Plugins which work perfectly on V1, but not on V2.  I copied all my plugins from V1 (the default .....\Photo\1.0) to the V2 default (....\Photo\2.0), but they don't even display in V2.

My principal plugins are ;  Topaz Studio 2, Exposure V7

Well I just tried again install version 1.08 and worked fine clicked the update button for Topaz 1.09 once done tried to open the same image and Plugin Has Crashed.

Honestly finding it easier to use the stand alone version of Denoise AI at least can open an image from Affinity Photo.

Russ.

20 minutes ago, Russ W said:

Well I just tried again install version 1.08 and worked fine clicked the update button for Topaz 1.09 once done tried to open the same image and Plugin Has Crashed.

Honestly finding it easier to use the stand alone version of Denoise AI at least can open an image from Affinity Photo.

Russ.

THat is what I've done.

I've spent several hours on trying to solve this issue to no avail and am not going to waste any more time on it.  Maybe Serif will look at it soon as there seems to be many of us having these issues.

It seems that during the update procedure of PhotoAI the plugin file TopazPhotoAI.8bf does not get copied to the correct location for Affinity Photo 2.

I have both Affinity versions 1 and 2 installed und the update of Topaz PhotoAI did copy TopazPhotoAI.8bf to the version 1 plugin folder C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins but not to version 2 plugin folder C:\Users\[username]\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Plugins. In the version 2 plugin folder I only found the .8bf file frome the previous PhotoAI version 1.0.8 after updating to 1.0.9.

After manually copying the latest TopazPhotoAI.8bf file from C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins to C:\Users\[username]\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Plugins I can now successfully run the plugin from both Affinity versions.

Maybe the same could be the cause for your problem - you might check if the file date of TopazPhotoAI.8bf in your version 2 plugin folder matches that of a file with the same name in your version 1 plugin folder.

There's nothing in my C:\Users\[username]\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Plugins folder! But my other Topaz plug ins work. I uninstalled V1 so I can't check. Photo does find the plug in and the little window comes up telling me I'm running a Topaz plug in before it crashes. So I think the problem is with them.

There should be an update from Topaz later today so see if they've fixed it.

I'm not using Photo AI because it seems to be lacking some functionality compared to the standalones (Gigapixel AI, Sharpen AI, and Denoise AI).

But I seem to have a problem where Gigapixel AI is not being detected even though I added the plugin folder:

Edit:

Uh, nevermind... seems that one doesn't work as a plugin.

Edited by Print Monkey
oops

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

1 hour ago, Print Monkey said:

I'm not using Photo AI because it seems to be lacking some functionality compared to the standalones (Gigapixel AI, Sharpen AI, and Denoise AI).

But I seem to have a problem where Gigapixel AI is not being detected even though I added the plugin folder:

Edit:

Uh, nevermind... seems that one doesn't work as a plugin.

I have Photo AI free as I have the other apps. Its useful for images that just need a tidy up. It seems to be aimed at the people who were just buying De Noise using the automatic model selection and living with the bit of sharpening it does.

A guy at DXO emailed me that opening a rasterized layer in AP2 will get the plugins to show up, (mine were grayed out). If I try to open Nik on a pixel layer, it opens, but there's no image. If I open on a dup background layer, it opens Nik, and shows the image. Kinda weird. As far as Topaz goes, Studio2 shows in filters, but doesn't open. The totally updated version of Photo AI, crashes AP2. A dude at Topaz said if I check Allow Unknown, it'll work. Alas, not the case. Too much work to get these to happen, standalone is looking quite attractive at this point.