You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked Publisher documents get displayed as blank pages

big smile

I frequently import one Publisher Document into another. It's super handy when you have content reused between several Publisher documents.

Since the release of Affinity Publisher 1.10, these linked documents sometimes get displayed as blank pages. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to when this happens. This issue was reported for Publisher 1.10 and was tagged with the codeafb-4980

It still seems to be an issue in Publisher 2.0. Even documents wholly created in Publisher 2.0 have the problem.

In Publisher 2.0, if you click the blank page, then 80% of the time, it will appear. But obviously this isn't ideal.

The problem did not occur in any version of Publisher prior to 2.0. If you still need an example document, please provide the dropbox link for this issue. 

33 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I've updated the link - apologies

Hi @Pauls I have uploaded the file. If you open the "child file" you can see the "parent file" (that is placed into the "child file") doesn't display properly: Many of the placed pages are either blank or incomplete.

I have included a PDF which shows how the "child file" should look.

As noted, there isn't any consistency to when placed files are displayed as blank pages. So if it opens fine, maybe try it again later on and see if it is still the case. 

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Pauls said:

It works for me although there is a small delay on the page previews displaying - could you record a screen video please

@Pauls It seems hit and miss. Some pages will render fine. Others will not.

I've made a video here.

In the video, it's left on the same page for 20 seconds, but it doesn't render. At the end of the video, I include a clip of how the page should look. 

Prior to Affinity 1.10 this was never problem. You could have multiple Affinity Publisher documents imported into each other and they would all render perfectly. 

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I'm not seeing the issue - what OS and Computer are you using ?

@Pauls I am using a MacBook Pro (Mid 2015) model running MacOS 12.6.2. I actually did a clean reinstall before testing. 

I've made a video that demonstrates the issue. The page only partly renders even when it is left on screen for several seconds (the correct rendering is displayed at the end).

As you are not seeing the issue, please let me know if there are any next-steps I can take. I would love to get this issue sorted as it's destroyed my workflow.  

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, and thanks in advance for any further help you can provide. 

23 hours ago, Pauls said:

@Pauls I just tested on Windows and it's the same problem. Just to clarify, it's only the linked content that doesn't appear. All other (non-linked) content appears fine. So the pages partially render. 

I wonder if maybe you are seeing the partial renders and assuming it is working?

To help, I have made some slides that show how the pages render in Windows/Mac on Publisher 2.0.3 (where they appear incomplete) with a comparison of how they should look:

Please could you open your copy of the file (which is named "Main file.afpub") and check it against the slides below to check that it is rendering correctly for you. 

Example 1: Document page 1

1179904402_demonstrationofissue_1.jpg.8619829982b6ac05ec3c12714351dee6.jpg

ISSUE: As you can see, the author box and copyright text (both of which comes from the linked file) does not render. 

Example 2: Document Page 4

2080176975_demonstrationofissue_2.jpg.9b9b9b8c1f4c283599c9fcfa6fed0d0f.jpg

ISSUE:  As you can see, the text in the margin (which comes from the linked file) does not render.

Example 3: Document page 8

1086488412_demonstrationofissue_3.jpg.421636c61d40e50e594d71ea553742dc.jpg

ISSUE: The box at the bottom (which comes from the linked file) does not render.

Example 4: Document page 9

1605935993_demonstrationofissue_4.jpg.e7ff9dff1732c3d89f7e0ec232a8d3d8.jpg

ISSUE: The boxes and vertical text on the right hand side (all which come from the linked file) are not rendered.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, Pauls said:

@Pauls I've since tested this on both Windows 10, Windows 11, MacOS Monterey and MacOS Ventura and it's the same issue every time.

I think when you say that you are not seeing the issue, the files are only partially rendering. Please could you open the files on your system and compare them to the screenshots I have posted in the post above this one. 

I'd love to get this issue logged so it can be addressed in future versions of Affinity. Up to Affinity 1.10 it worked all fine. Since then my work flow has been destroyed, so I'd love to get it sorted!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Thanks for letting us know @big smile & I'm sorry to hear this issue has returned!

3 hours ago, big smile said:

Should I raise a bug report in the beta forum? 

Yes please, if you could create a new post in the beta section with a link to this thread, our team can investigate this regression further :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)