You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher V2.0 - Index

5 hours ago, blackstone said:

Hello, I would like to know how an index is treated when using the books panel. I couldn't find anything about it in the help file.

It just works as you would expect. Add your index markers in each chapter file. Insert your index into the last chapter file and it will create an index based on the markers in each chapter.

The only thing to keep in mind is that Index Topics aren't synced between chapters, each chapter just has the topics created in that chapter. Let's say you index Oranges in chapter 1. If in chapter 2 you decide to index the same word Oranges won't be an existing topic in that chapter so you're effectively creating it again which is fine but Oranges won't be in the dropdown of existing index topics. So perhaps you might forget what you did last time and index it as Orange this time instead of Oranges.

If you take an existing book with an index and break it into separate chapters it then each chapter would initially have a complete set of topics but just the markers for that chapter. So looking at the index panel might be confusing because you'll have a lot of topics without markers. That's okay and you could delete the extra topics from each chapter if you wanted to.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)