You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Measurement Tool

• 1 month later...

Is there a measurement tool?? I have V2 and can't find it.

For those that don't get what people are asking for I suggest looking at Foxit pdf Editor which has an excellent tool, Although personally I prefer the older version to the one in the latest release. Either way it does the job, any point to point can be measured, any scale can be set and the dimension is available on screen in editable format alongside the doouble headed arrow (which is also editable). Excellent.

Some examples below:

image.png.5d2d44461704aed080b1166f67147444.png

7 minutes ago, muganga said:

Is there a measurement tool?? I have V2 and can't find it.

The Measure Tool is only available in Designer V2.
If you can’t find it in the Tools then use menu “View → Customise Tools”.
It is only for measuring things, not adding dimensions to a document.
Quote from the Help: “Measurements are not persistent, are non-printable and are not saved with your document.”

There is also a related Area Tool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please affinity team, consider a dimension tool with some priority. 

This feature really is a must in many professional fields. It seems I got excited when I read about scales and the measurement tool, purchased V2 only to be let down this relatively basic feature is still non-existent :(

• 4 weeks later...

Something like this... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 3 months later...

This would be extremely helpful for me.
I use Affinity to annotate and modify building plans for Interior Design and adding in measurements as a reference is a very common task.

The grafic createt by the measurement tool woulb be absolutely perfect, only thing neceassry is to create persistant shapes from it.

The measurement tool was my Nr. 1 reason to upgrade to V2. Finding out that its not feasible for adding in dimensions was a real let down.

Edited by Jan.estee

For certain work it'd be a huge time saver to be able to keep measurements as a layer in the project, being able to change font size and arrow sizes would compliment this feature greatly.

I certainly give this feature a +1.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, a measurement tool that retains the dimension markings and can contract/grow in parallel to amended shape alterations.
Having to add technical specification measurements by hand/mouse is time-consuming. 

If developers, or customer liaison persons to development teams read these threads, the input from the user community on this forum regarding this feature alone should warrant some consideration for inclusion in a future revision.

• 2 weeks later...

Could it also be possible to get a dynamic area tool? Where we can drag a shape directly with the tool, to get quick measurements?

This is possible! Simply drag a shape with the shape tool, it will show you the height and width in your set scale.

Of course in addition to the main feature request which is permanent measure/area layers/objects.

• 2 months later...

We are primarily concerned with creating manufacturing instructions for producers. In these documents we have to include templates with measurements.  So that the parts can then be manufactured for us.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely! +1 or +1000

Both those tools should have their settings, so that the measurements always acquire font and arrow ending settings when they appear, and after you're done with a measurement, you could click a button to place it in the document as an editable group.

Ultimately I would also see a Planner persona with the measurement tools and symbols (like stairs, doors, windows, etc).

10 minutes ago, moniuch said:

Ultimately I would also see a Planner persona with the measurement tools and symbols (like stairs, doors, windows, etc).

Do you perhaps mean a Drafting persona? The word ‘Planner’ conjures up images of something to do with calendars and timetables.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do you perhaps mean a Drafting persona? The word ‘Planner’ conjures up images of something to do with calendars and timetables.

Affinity will use the naming they like. What I mean is a separate persona for this type of floor-planning, floor-sketching work, which seems like it'd deserve its own workspace with specific tools. Maybe even with slightly changed behaviors - as an example: currently, with a measurement displayed on screen, when you space-zoom around it, it temporarily disappears (a bit annoying), it also does not snap guides to the arrow edges. An option to retain multiple measurements until dismissed would also be cool.
I bet there is tons of enhancements possible. Probably not the right time to go into detail.

3 minutes ago, Beverly Landscape said:

maybe you should post there.

It might be a good idea to provide a link:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.