You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Equivalent of PS's Create Clipping Mask in AD - solved

I'm sure most people know it already: Come to think about it, it seems very standard in vector software! 

Yet it wasn't for me (being used to PS), and since I couldn't find the solution when I searched the forum, I decided posting it for all those who may have the same question as I did :)

Problem

I wanted to non-destructively clip the "contents" of one layer/shape/group, to the shape defined by its underlying "container". 

post-10622-0-76645500-1453227232_thumb.png - especially useful when creating "flat shadows" or "textured fills".

In PS you can use the Create Clipping Mask to assign an element as another element's clipping mask, while at the same time allowing the underlying layer to retain its "individuality"(own appearance).

I was about to post this as a question (what is the equivalent of Photoshop's Create Clipping Mask in Affinity Designer?) when I discovered it's the simplest thing ever:

Solution

In the layers panel you just need to drag'n'drop the overlaying layer, onto the underlaying layer. This will make it into a child!

That's it! A child is automatically masked ("contained") by its parent, but they both retain will their stroke/fill. 

Far more flexible approach (and intuitive) compared to the Create Clipping Mask option in PS which was limited to layers and smart objects only (you couldn't do that with groups for instance).

In AD you can have whole  parent/children trees used as "Clipping Masks"! for instance:

post-10622-0-64766100-1453227231_thumb.png

Such a big improvement over PS's Create Clipping Mask tool!

hope this helps somebody, someday!

I am also certain this is common knowledge, I hate to repeat what is obvious. But I also like to point out that the Edit-Paste Inside function is also a way to get to the same result, when it isn't specifically mentioned. So you can either drag your items into a child layer, or you can cut them and Paste Inside to get the same result. 

It took me forever to see it.

@jmzeus, not sure I understand... when you convert an ellipse (or any other shape) to a curve, and press Cmd+Y you won't see a difference in the outline; but if you use the node tool (shortcut: "A") and select the curve, you will see that it now has some nodes/control points (eg the ellipse has 4)

• 2 months later...