You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving Files from Affinity Designer to Affinity Designer 2 (iPad)

I currently have a few files (two folders, each with 10 or so files/projects in them) in Affinity Designer that I would like to move to Affinity Designer 2. There are no files visible in Affinity Designer 2 by default. The "Affinity Designer" folders in "On My iPad" and "iCloud Drive" do not contain the aforementioned files. The local folder has a log folder, and the iCloud folder has two .afdesign files that do not show up in either the old or new Affinity Designer.

I can't see any way to export my files or any place they are saved in the Files app. I'm sure I am missing something obvious, but can't work out what it is.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You have to manually save them individually first… to either the V1 folder in files that already exists or to a designated folder you select. Then can move them from that Files folder into the new V2 folder.

‘Once saved > open File where they are saved > Select all > Move files 

There is no auto-export/transfer possible unfortunately.

I know Apple's sandboxing is an issue, but it would have been great to have a few bulk export options from the V1 iPad apps to unload: all custom brushes, all installed fonts, all assets etc. to the files app so we can more easily install them in V2. Doing this one at a time is ridiculously time consuming. And there is no option to export a font.

It didn't take me too long once I worked out how to do it, but I can definitely see how frustrating it could be. I only had about 20 documents and 4 or 5 sets of assets to move over. Migrating a large number of items could take quite a while.

I have never really used fonts on the iPad but this article seems to imply that as long as the font is installed (using an app like iFont or Fontcase), it should be available everywhere that uses Apple's default font selector.

https://logosbynick.com/add-fonts-to-affinity-designer/

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, VectorCat said:

I suppose it won’t do to have two Files windows open side by side, then drag your files from the V1 folder to the V2 folder — then to open into V2 and save / overwrite back into the V2 folder?

Files app is unable to access an apps protected storage area. You would still need to 'save' the files to be able to access them.

Version 2 Help file has a very good explanation of the Home Screen Live Document function and how it is intended to be used. Recommended reading to avoid future file issues.

7B5EDABC-63E0-4656-BC0F-37E679639AD4.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.  I”m excited to see the new Affinity V2 for my ipad and Mac desktop but guys, please tell me a way to transfer full folders/projects from Affinity to V2.  I have hundreds of saves on the ipad and not all in the cloud.  To transfer these manually one by one is insane.  When I go to import stuff from the cloud it only allows one by one images and not a whole folder.  Can you enlighten me on another way?

7 hours ago, Karinds said:

Hello everyone.  I”m excited to see the new Affinity V2 for my ipad and Mac desktop but guys, please tell me a way to transfer full folders/projects from Affinity to V2.  I have hundreds of saves on the ipad and not all in the cloud.  To transfer these manually one by one is insane.  When I go to import stuff from the cloud it only allows one by one images and not a whole folder.  Can you enlighten me on another way?

If you have actually Saved the files, then they will be on a folder "in the cloud" or "on my iPad". And using the Files app you can copy/move them wherever you you want. 

However, if they are "on my iPad" and saved in the application folders (e.g., Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer) and you delete the V1 app from your machine those folders will also be deleted. So before deleting the V1 apps (if you choose to do so) you need to copy the items to some other folder either on your iPad or in the cloud.

If you have not actually Saved the documents, then they are only in your application sandbox (Home Page). For those, you will need to rename and save them individually, to get them out of the sandbox and into an area where other applications (V2, or Files) can see them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1