You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font installed on macOS Ventura Font Book partially not showing on V2 Affinity Designer

Hello, I am using latest macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and Affinity Designer 2.0.0 and have installed a whole Rubik font family which works fine with other software, like Sketch on my Mac. On Affinity only the italic version is showing and not the regular, bold etc. See screenshots. Any ideas if I am doing something wrong or is this a bug? I looked for a solution online and couldn't find anything useful. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 21.58.56 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 21.59.23 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 21.59.45 pm.png

The font is probably a Variable font. The Affinity applications only support Static fonts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Rubik isn't variable, it works fine on Monterey 12.6.1 with Affinity 2

image.thumb.png.bd9a04c3507db36fdbc88ca3fba2bcd2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It took me a long and frustrating journey to understand why after upgrading to Ventura and now to V2 suite of affinity, suddenly most of my projects started to complain about missing fonts that I didn't even intentionally installed.

Turns out I was using a lot of Apple fonts or other fonts I added long time ago that are now Variable.

Because many of those fonts are not available as TTF I have now to start looking for alternatives, going back to design stage of a project that I thought was print-ready and small changes to old layouts now mean having to spend hours of research for a similar-looking font.

And what is more frustrating is to know that, if my documents were made with Adobe, I wouldn't have any problem with the fonts now.

This also made my font selection much more restricted as now, from my operation system, the compatible font library is much more limited and I need to spend time and money to get alternatives.

@elipso97

If you use the fonts from an Adobe subscription it is possible, that it is the variable version of the font. If you download it from Google Fonts, you have the choice between variable and static version of the font.

image.png.f61ef2bba91787e94ab545b4e71e1bd3.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Looking at the first screen shot, which comes from Font Book, it appears to be an issue at the macOS level. Only the Italic versions are highlighted while the regular versions are dimmed. Affinity seems to respect what is happening in the OS, while the other tools, such as Sketch, have their own way of working with this Rubik font.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

3 hours ago, curaloucura said:

Turns out I was using a lot of Apple fonts or other fonts I added long time ago that are now Variable.

A very good point. Whether we like variable fonts or not, they are now fairly common and a modern page layout app needs to support them (even if just static instances).

1 hour ago, curaloucura said:

Because many of those fonts are not available as TTF I have now to start looking for alternatives, going back to design stage of a project that I thought was print-ready and small changes to old layouts now mean having to spend hours of research for a similar-looking font.

The SF interface font went variable in 2020 (IIRC). And it is a variable TTF.
And there static TTF files available which match most of the styles (the dev fonts).
What other fonts are now variable in macOS Ventura?
What specific font(s) do you need to finish your project?

1 hour ago, curaloucura said:

And what is more frustrating is to know that, if my documents were made with Adobe, I wouldn't have any problem with the fonts now.

This also made my font selection much more restricted as now, from my operation system, the compatible font library is much more limited and I need to spend time and money to get alternatives.

Hopefully Affinity can get this fixed in the first update, and your old fonts will again be available. There has obviously been a change in how macOS Ventura handles these "Document support fonts" - and Adopey has already made the needed updates.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:03 PM, elipso97 said:

Hello, I am using latest macOS Ventura 13.0.1 and Affinity Designer 2.0.0 and have installed a whole Rubik font family which works fine with other software, like Sketch on my Mac. On Affinity only the italic version is showing and not the regular, bold etc. See screenshots. Any ideas if I am doing something wrong or is this a bug? I looked for a solution online and couldn't find anything useful. 

Rubik does include both static and variable fonts.
And it looks like you installed the variable fonts.
Issues with the STAT table (where the style-linking is done in variable fonts) could explain only the Italics showing.

OR ...
Ventura could be confused by a STAT table being included in the static fonts.
I just checked and the Rubik static fonts do include a STAT table (and they should not).

Recently I saw an issue in the GF repo where their current font build process can sometimes inadvertently include a STAT table in the static fonts. And I have seen some other issues posted where this seems to be a problem in some applications.
Perhaps it is now a problem in macOS Ventura.

First, make sure you do have only the static fonts installed.
Then, if you still have an issue - it could be this STAT table issue.
To confirm this, I can send you some modified static fonts with that table removed.
Then we will know for sure one way or the other.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:46 PM, kenmcd said:

The SF interface font went variable in 2020 (IIRC). And it is a variable TTF.
And there static TTF files available which match most of the styles (the dev fonts).
What other fonts are now variable in macOS Ventura?
What specific font(s) do you need to finish your project?

It looks like I used a lot of Hiragino Kaku on my titles and that was missing but I just found this post which describes a similar problem to me  :)

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, Komatös said:

@elipso97

If you use the fonts from an Adobe subscription it is possible, that it is the variable version of the font. If you download it from Google Fonts, you have the choice between variable and static version of the font.

image.png.f61ef2bba91787e94ab545b4e71e1bd3.png

Hi, I have tried this and it is still the same issue.