You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making Affinity 1 available for purchase/download for those who cannot use Affinity 2

2 hours ago, deeds said:

10.13.6 is the last version of MacOS with the original, non iOS riddled font handling, and many other benefits of not having become contorted to bring compatibility with iOS apps.

Thanks for that. I was not aware.

I dont buy into the planned obsolescence theory, but these things makes more sense now.

2 hours ago, michie said:

In other words planned obsolescence. It's getting really tiresome. Everyone is so worried about plastic grocery bags but there is a ton more waste that from planned obsolescence, in my opinion. I actually probably won't buy an apple computer next time and it's the only type I have ever bought since I started using computers.

Yes, unfortunately.

And doubly unfortunate as they've "reverted" MacOS down to cross-compatibility with iOS, rather than upping iOS to MacOS.

Similarly, the Mac "Productivity" apps succumbed to the limitations of the web/Safari so that they'd be across all platforms, infamously removing and/or crippling much of what made them great on a Mac.

Affinity's Publisher, by way of example, probably wouldn't have a reason to exist on a Mac if it weren't for this dumbing down of Pages and KeyNote, both of which were originally far more capable in terms of document creation.

19 hours ago, red.foxx15 said:

Windows 10 has many different versions which have already reached their end of life. 

That doesn't mean that software stops working.

And, I don't really see a reason not to upgrade to the latest Windows 10 version anyway, which happens automatically, if you haven't blocked updates in some odd way.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Nina Guthmann said:

Is there a way to use the Affinity programms for users that didn't own the affinity 1 generation? I bought affinity 2 but cant use them because my system is mac 10.13 and I cant upgrade anymore. 

Sorry, but no. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Nina Guthmann said:

So my only options are to buy a used account, a new laptop or switch to Adobe?

Or switch to something else. Doesn't need to be Adobe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, Nina Guthmann said:

my system is mac 10.13 and I cant upgrade anymore. 

Consider also that Apple only provides security updates for the current macOS and two prior major versions.  With macOS 13 now out, this means that anything older than macOS 11 will no longer receive security updates, and it will become increasingly dangerous to use those versions as new flaws are discovered in the old versions.

One idea I had was for Serif to make an exception to their v1 license agreement such that v1 licenses are transferable to systems which are running an OS that v2 doesn't support. In other words, a user running an older version of Windows 10 or MacOS could activate a v1 license on their system, which they get from some other user who no longer needs v1.

The benefits of that are: People like @michie get to use Affinity products, Serif doesn't lose revenue due to transferred licenses cannibalizing v2 revenue for these old systems, and Serif doesn't have to make any changes to their store or executables.

The problems: Unless Serif does some work, there will still be the problem of product keys being tied to the original purchaser's email address, and unless Serif makes changes somehow, they won't be able to enforce the OS restriction. So allowing such license transfers might in fact cannibalize some v2 revenue for dishonest users.

On the other hand, with respect to that latter concern, Serif already relies on the goodwill of users not to sell/transfer v1 licenses. So it's not really requiring any more honesty on the part of the user base. Serif could just say they allow unused v1 licenses to be applied to someone else's downrev system and leave it at that.

Or, if they don't want to deal with that, they could simply put v1 back up for sale at a reduced price, with suitable warnings that it's a version with limited support.

1 hour ago, Corgi said:

One idea I had was for Serif to make an exception to their v1 license agreement such that v1 licenses are transferable to systems which are running an OS that v2 doesn't support. In other words, a user running an older version of Windows 10 or MacOS could activate a v1 license on their system, which they get from some other user who no longer needs v1.

The benefits of that are: People like @michie get to use Affinity products, Serif doesn't lose revenue due to transferred licenses cannibalizing v2 revenue for these old systems, and Serif doesn't have to make any changes to their store or executables.

The problems: Unless Serif does some work, there will still be the problem of product keys being tied to the original purchaser's email address, and unless Serif makes changes somehow, they won't be able to enforce the OS restriction. So allowing such license transfers might in fact cannibalize some v2 revenue for dishonest users.

On the other hand, with respect to that latter concern, Serif already relies on the goodwill of users not to sell/transfer v1 licenses. So it's not really requiring any more honesty on the part of the user base. Serif could just say they allow unused v1 licenses to be applied to someone else's downrev system and leave it at that.

Or, if they don't want to deal with that, they could simply put v1 back up for sale at a reduced price, with suitable warnings that it's a version with limited support.

I would really appreciate if Affinity would put V1 back up for sale even with limited support. I believe it would help people in my same situation. I still want Affinity Publisher. Crogi, I want to add that you have been very helpful and kind in trying to accomplish what many other companies would not. I appreciate you. 🙂

34 minutes ago, michie said:

I would really appreciate if Affinity would put V1 back up for sale even with limited support. I believe it would help people in my same situation. I still want Affinity Publisher. Crogi, I want to add that you have been very helpful and kind in trying to accomplish what many other companies would not. I appreciate you. 🙂

That would be really nice. But is there a reason why they don't give access to V1 anymore? Other than pushing V2 sales?

• Staff
7 minutes ago, LTorrecilla said:

I bought V1 for windows in the past and already updated to V2, but I would like to buy V1 for mac in order to install it in an old laptop for my wife. Would that be possible?

Sorry it is no longer available

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 12/16/2022 at 8:19 PM, Nina Guthmann said:

But is there a reason why they don't give access to V1 anymore?

If you have purchased the V1 application, you still have "access" to it - you can download and install it.
As for the impossibility of "purchasing", it is quite logical and to be expected. If Serif no longer offers support for V1 applications (as has been declared many times before), then it is against standard business practice to sell such products.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:17 AM, deeds said:

Affinity's Publisher, by way of example, probably wouldn't have a reason to exist on a Mac if it weren't for this dumbing down of Pages and KeyNote, both of which were originally far more capable in terms of document creation.

What could the older Pages do that is not possible in the current version? I find several things that are now possible, and weren't in the past, but can't remember the missing features.

As far as I remember, Pages has never been a replacement of something like InDesign - that is the real target of Publisher. It was, as is, a very good way of publishing personal documents, posters, leaflets, but nothing comparable to s professional publisher, with detailed control on typography and color, and management of long documents.

Pages has something that Publisher still hasn't, like the great way of publishing eBooks, but I’m still convinced that this latter is not completely a job for page layout programs.

Paolo

On 12/16/2022 at 4:06 PM, Nina Guthmann said:

So my only options are to buy a used account, a new laptop or switch to Adobe?

Creative Cloud apps can only be installed starting from Big Sur (InDesign also from Catalina). The only option looks like either switch to a new computer, or use other apps. I'm happy to have the older Affinity ones installed.

Paolo

3 hours ago, PaoloT said:

What could the older Pages do that is not possible in the current version? I find several things that are now possible, and weren't in the past, but can't remember the missing features.

As far as I remember, Pages has never been a replacement of something like InDesign - that is the real target of Publisher. It was, as is, a very good way of publishing personal documents, posters, leaflets, but nothing comparable to s professional publisher, with detailed control on typography and color, and management of long documents.

Pages has something that Publisher still hasn't, like the great way of publishing eBooks, but I’m still convinced that this latter is not completely a job for page layout programs.

Paolo

I am not looking to publish ebooks. I was looking for a page layout program. I used InDesign for a long time before that I used Pagemaker, an old Adobe product. I'm a retired graphic designer but have been doing some freelance. I may just give up on freelance considering my 2019 macbook pro was $3,000 and I can't update to Affinity 2 because I don't want to update my OS due to iTunes being taken away. I also refuse to pay for Adobe's subscription program, as I am not doing graphic design full time. It appears that Apple's new practices to make things go obsolete faster and faster, all of course to make more money. I probably won't buy another mac. I've starting oil painting, it's fun and my teacher said I could get to the point where I can sell my work. So maybe I'll just paint and go back to silversmithing.

1 hour ago, michie said:

I can't update to Affinity 2 because I don't want to update my OS due to iTunes being taken away.

iTunes has not been taken away: it has (finally!) been split into dedicated apps. Open Music if you want music, Books if you want books, and the Finder for moving files.

Paolo

20 hours ago, PaoloT said:

iTunes has not been taken away: it has (finally!) been split into dedicated apps. Open Music if you want music, Books if you want books, and the Finder for moving files.

Paolo

I did a search on this topic and it said that if I upgrade to Catalina I will have to Apple Music and not iTunes. I sitll have an old iPod touch with 30 pins hook up in my car. I will use it until I can't. I did try my very old macbook pro and it changed and started up fine so I might just use that macbook for my itunes if it is compatible with my iPod then upgrade to Catalina.

While I don't have any experience with iPods I do have a very early iPad with the 30 pin connector and it seems to work for me with Music on my Mac and the iPad running iOS 9.3.5

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

33 minutes ago, michie said:
19 hours ago, dcr said:

"Scribus should run on your Mac."  Thanks for this I will check it out.

There's the stable version (1.4.8) and the developmental version (1.5.8).  The 1.5.8 version is supposed to be easier and better, but I haven't used it as I am waiting for the next stable release.  I have 1.4.8 installed on a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.  If you've used PageMaker/InDesign/QuarkXPress/Affinity Publisher, there is a learning curve but also a lot that will seem familiar.  I was able to complete a project with it on the first day I used it, though I did have to look a couple things up because features aren't always intuitive and several things take more steps to accomplish than they would in PageMaker/InDesign/QuarkXPress/Affinity Publisher.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

While I don't have any experience with iPods I do have a very early iPad with the 30 pin connector and it seems to work for me with Music on my Mac and the iPad running iOS 9.3.5

What iOS versions are on those?  I have an iPod with iOS 4 and an iPad with iOS 6.  I manage them both from a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).  I can't buy/download new songs though.  I have a Mac with Monterey but I haven't moved my iTunes library to it.  One of these days, I'm going to experiment to see if I can buy a song on the Monterey Mac and manage to get it into iTunes on the Snow Leopard Mac.