You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Canvas Render Problem when Masking and Hovering Cursor Over Pixels

wls

Attached is an iPhone movie of an Affinity Photo 2 (v2.0.0 for Mac), canvas rendering problem in Masking mode when the cursor is hovered (not clicked, not drawing) over the canvas. 

00:00 - We see a Layer Effect of Gradient Overlay has been applied to a photo (IMG_1146.CR2) and it's Mask layer is all white.

00:13 - We are in brush mode and hover the white brush (00:17) over the canvas just fine, then at 00:27 we switch to black brush and do the same, again all's fine

00:35 - We merely select the Mask layer, and then hover (not paint, not click, not select) the same black cursor over the canvas

00:37 - As the cursor hovers into the canvas boundary, rendering gets all screwed up. Note, again, we are NOT painting. Hover only.

00:47 - We switch the the white brush, still in mask layer, still hovering (not painting, not clicking, not selecting)

00:48 - As the brush enters the canvas area again, portions of the canvas far away from the brush show artifacting

00:53 - "Interacting" with the artifacting does some weird pixel-refresh behavior; note again, we're NOT painting, just hovering.

01:05 - Switching back to the image layer, the rendering problem goes away

01:11 - Switching back to the masking layer causes the problem to return (01:12); again, only hovering

( Unfortunately, I don't have the file, or I'd pass that along to you. )

EDIT: Uploaded Video didn't render when posted.  You can get it for the next 14 days at https://fromsmash.com/Affinity-Photo-v2-Masking-Bug

EDIT 2: The vertical nature of the iPhone movie seems to be not working on this forum software.  Please double check the file you get from the above URL matches this information before opening.

121997913 Nov 12 20:15 Affinity Masking Bug.MOV    (size)
35dd53703f0bff463a98f4b4350b6b64a68611f20972ebbe305893f8edd8fdc5  Affinity Masking Bug.MOV    (sha256)
Affinity Masking Bug.MOV: ISO Media, Apple QuickTime movie, Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT)    (file type)

Edited by wls
Uploaded video still not workinging forum.

@CleverFox2 -- I noted the same thing moments after posting.  So I reposted it (same problem, perhaps with forum?)  I sent a copy to SMASH.

https://fromsmash.com/Affinity-Photo-v2-Masking-Bug

121997913 Nov 12 20:15 Affinity Masking Bug.MOV    (size)
35dd53703f0bff463a98f4b4350b6b64a68611f20972ebbe305893f8edd8fdc5  Affinity Masking Bug.MOV    (sha256)
Affinity Masking Bug.MOV: ISO Media, Apple QuickTime movie, Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT)    (file type)

Edited by wls
size / sha256 / file type

57 minutes ago, wls said:

So I reposted it (same problem, perhaps with forum?)  I sent a copy to SMASH.

Same issue on Smash... The forum only seems to like .mp4 files so I've converted it for you... hopefully others can view it?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 weeks later...