You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Affinity Photo to the list of applications in Controlled Folder Access

I've now figured how to install Affinity Photo 2 and access it from my editors.  But I'm having trouble adding Affinity Photo 2 to my list of approved apps in Windows Defender controlled folder access.  I like the protection this service provides.  But when I try to select Photo.exe to the list, I cannot find it...  As a result every time I start AF2, I get a notification that is not on the list of approved apps. Any ideas Folks?

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delayed response, @rlebleu. Are you still having this problem, or did you find a workaround for it?

1. Serif is working on an EXE- or MSI-based installer that may make this easier, but I'm surprised that a Windows function like Controlled Folder Access would not work with another Windows function like MSIX-based applications. I cannot test this myself, as I use a different anti-virus tool, and with it active I cannot enable or play with Controlled Folder Access. And I haven't been able to find anything about this interaction on the web (neither users saying they have the problem, nor solutions for it).

If you're still having the problem, you might need to wait for the new kind of installer when Serif releases it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a quite similar problem. When I attempt to default the RMB "Edit" menu item to Photo 2 exe, I get the following failure:

1321230529_CantaccessPhoto2exe.jpg.9a961e3479f5d7660cf1b95a4b3f6ce3.jpg

I had to give the Photo2 shortcut Administrator privileges just to create the shortcut. Not good, Affinity.

After reviewing this post on Affinity Forum:

I manually took ownership of the WindowsApps folder and all its subfolders. This enabled me to do all the things with Photo2 that was not permitted before. 

I worked on this Affinity installation design error for several hours before finding this solution. I'm quite disappointed with Affinity's decision to install your apps in a directory inaccessible to your normal users.

Please see the FAQ:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1