You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seeking Mac Advice

15 minutes ago, CWFII said:

Considering the jump to Mac. What is a good entry Mac platform for a hobbyist who uses the Affinity line?

Any of the new M1/M2 machines will do. It will work fine with 8GB but most people here would agree that 16GB is more useful for larger projects. Professionals often want more but as a hobbyist you should be fine with less.

If you're looking for a laptop I think the MacBook Air with an M1 or M2 is a great option. The M1 is the older model but it's more affordable and is still a very powerful computer. 

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 minute ago, MikeTO said:

Any of the new M1/M2 machines will do. It will work fine with 8GB but most people here would agree that 16GB is more useful for larger projects. Professionals often want more but as a hobbyist you should be fine with less.

If you're looking for a laptop I think the MacBook Air with an M1 or M2 is a great option. The M1 is the older model but it's more affordable and is still a very powerful computer. 

Thanks for this. I prefer a laptop with the ability to connect a large external monitor. Is that an option with the Macbook Air, M1 or M2?

Agree, the M1 and M2 processors are amazing and M1 is only a few years old. By no means and old processor.

I would only buy a laptop if you really need your computer to be mobile. Otherwise the Mac Mini M1 is a fabulous computer and great buy, and you can connect that computer and a Windows computer to the same monitor and keep Windows as well. 

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

1 minute ago, CWFII said:

Thanks for this. I prefer a laptop with the ability to connect a large external monitor. Is that an option with the Macbook Air, M1 or M2?

Both models support "One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz".

The M2 version has an entirely new design with more ports so I suggest going into a store and seeing both models side by side. The M2 model is more than a processor upgrade this time. On the downside, some people preferred the older 'teardrop' case design. It would be good for you to see both in person.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 minutes ago, François R said:

Agree, the M1 and M2 processors are amazing and M1 is only a few years old. By no means and old processor.

I would only buy a laptop if you really need your computer to be mobile. Otherwise the Mac Mini M1 is a fabulous computer and great buy, and you can connect that computer and a Windows computer to the same monitor and keep Windows as well. 

Thanks for the insight. Space is a premium for me, so prefer the laptop.

3 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Both models support "One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz".

The M2 version has an entirely new design with more ports so I suggest going into a store and seeing both models side by side. The M2 model is more than a processor upgrade this time. On the downside, some people preferred the older 'teardrop' case design. It would be good for you to see both in person.

Thanks for clarifying. I will definitely take a look in person. Appreciate your insight!

5 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

The Mini is just as good as an M1 Air if space is a premium, the Mini is tiny! Buy the Air if you want mobility, buy the Mini if you'll always use it on the same desk.

Tiny and you can buy awesome keyboards from Apple and better mice from other companies... that you can store on a shelf when the computer is not used. The M1 can also be placed somewhere discreet.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.