You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

giantlobsterprd

Great work giantlobsterprd, and videos as well.

As others have mentioned it's always a treat to see how others work and their general workflow. There are so many ways to achieve results and seeing a finished piece sometimes only just hints at how it was created.  Thanks for documenting and sharing your process!

Great art! I'm using trial Affinity Designer & am having problems locating a tutorial on how to do illustrations.

There are lots of techniques that go into illustrations, be sure to check out the growing set of tutorials over on Vimeo to learn what you need. Best wishes on your journey!

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• 3 weeks later...

Dan, I'm gobsmacked at how fantastic that all looked; the antique title cards just added to authenticity.  

Did you use the Paste Inside option to add the half tone?

After seeing a couple of your videos, Showreel 2015/1; the Pear (Linux) cafe scene and the Flanders Fields. (an important scene, in cycling in the Spring Classics).

You've got to show these to STRAVA (the Facebook for runners and cyclists). Because your work is exactly what they would enjoy. :D

I have the video but it's an MP4 but it won't upload here. :(

STRAVA.mov

Edited by peter
testing the new uploader

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

This is the STRAVA pat-yourself-on-the-back video: showcasing the whole of my 2015 season Rides and runs.

Riding on the roads, all weathers, day and night. All this data was up loaded from my Garmin GPS watch and uploaded after every ride.

STRAVA is not Facebook, but it is the social media site where you upload your post ride/run data and have the routes taken logged and displayed on the map. There is also a photo hosting option too.

Take a look at this vacancy, what do you think? Or you could just send off a speculative email/Linked-in message...

https://boards.greenhouse.io/strava/jobs/97496#.VtSkd8enZ90

Good luck.

peter

ps

Your work really is that good!

STRAVA.mov

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Thank you for making and sharing this tutorial, Dan.

You, Sir, are gentleman and a scholar! (OK, I cannot be substantially sure that that last statement is entirely true; but I can with all certainty say that this was quite kind of you! )

Well I am a gentleman, but my scholarliness is questionable...

---

Dan Robinson  |  Giant Lobster Productions Ltd

Web: giantlobster.uk

Instagram: @giantlobsterprd

"Art is never finished – only abandoned." - LdV

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/01/2016 at 9:56 AM, giantlobsterprd said:

Here's a time-lapse of me creating a new comic-style drawing. Mistakes and back-pedalling included.

Final result:

Authoring file:

Enjoy!

Awesome video. I am a novice to Affinity and all this in general. The method you used after tracing the outline of the woman where you cut out the inner parts, what is that method called? 

@giantlobsterprd learned two excellent methods from you today that I'm really excited about.

1. Using a master shape and then overlaying smaller shapes to create your line art is pure genius. Up to this point I've been drawing each individual section of line which means I have about 40 million curves in my layers panel: very inefficient use of time and difficult to organize or edit.

2. Using dotted lines to create your halftones is also brilliant. I had previously made halftones with hundreds of individual circles which was again time consuming and messy.

Thank you for passing on your techniques!

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

3 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

@giantlobsterprd learned two excellent methods from you today that I'm really excited about.

1. Using a master shape and then overlaying smaller shapes to create your line art is pure genius. Up to this point I've been drawing each individual section of line which means I have about 40 million curves in my layers panel: very inefficient use of time and difficult to organize or edit.

2. Using dotted lines to create your halftones is also brilliant. I had previously made halftones with hundreds of individual circles which was again time consuming and messy.

Thank you for passing on your techniques!

You are so welcome :)

---

• Staff

Hi Magic Mark not Mike,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Draw a shape/object, set a stroke width, then tick Scale with object in the stroke width popup (context toolbar). Then go to menu Edit ▸ Defaults ▸ Save. Object of the same type should now have this attribute ticked by default.

Note that for existing documents you don't have to tick this attribute for each object/curve one by one. Select all objects/curves at once and tick the checkbox to apply it to all of them.

On 30/01/2018 at 10:25 AM, MEB said:

Then go to menu Edit ▸ Defaults ▸ Save. Object of the same type should now have this attribute ticked by default.

Great tip!

---

On 30/01/2018 at 10:25 AM, MEB said:

Hi Magic Mark not Mike,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Draw a shape/object, set a stroke width, then tick Scale with object in the stroke width popup (context toolbar). Then go to menu Edit ▸ Defaults ▸ Save. Object of the same type should now have this attribute ticked by default.

Note that for existing documents you don't have to tick this attribute for each object/curve one by one. Select all objects/curves at once and tick the checkbox to apply it to all of them.

Thank you so much that's a great tip.

And you got the 43th like.

:D

I'm more of a direct inker, but I used to do the contours so... the thing is that your workflow is fast enough so that it does not really differs much in time compared to directly inking (and instead, get an absolute control). :)

Special extra kudos for the choice of showing it like old cinema, and that music.  B|

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Ouch, the grammar forum drone.....  ;D 

hehe

I guess it had to be 43rd. English has too many exceptions to general rules....But I'll shut up, as Spanish has probably more....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...